PDA

View Full Version : Question about "Knitting from the Top" by Barbara

Denise in Michigan
09-12-2006, 04:14 PM
If someone who has the book "Knitting from the Top" by Barbara G. Walker could answer a question for me, I'd really appreciate it!

In the book, are the top-down sweaters with set-in, drop-shoulder, raglan, and saddle sleeves all made in one piece to minimize finishing?

Thanks!

janelanespaintbrush
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Yes, all of those, plus more (sleeveless top, cape/poncho, pants, skirts, I don't remember what else), with a number of variations given for each basic pattern. :thumbsup:

losnana
09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Didn't realize there was a whole book on this subject. I have a few patterns in Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English, but I've never made one. I'd be interested in opinions from those who have tried the Top Down patterns.

janelanespaintbrush
09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
The emphasis in Walker's book is definitely on try-it-on-as-you-go simplicity, whereas the Righetti book requires you to take a lot of measurements and do a bunch of math to get a tailored fit. They're both good, but for different reasons. I prefer the Walker approach myself. I did the set-in sleeve pullover and it worked out really well.

SandraEllen
09-13-2006, 07:29 AM
ooh... i'm going to have to stop at the library and check this one out.

Denise in Michigan
09-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks so much! Sounds like just what I'm looking for! :happydance: