PDA

View Full Version : What are the fastest needles? :)

shore--alpaca
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
What are the (brand? etc.) fastest needles? :) Also, what are your favorite faster needles? (p.s. are there any metal needles that don't clickety clack? ) :??

kemp
09-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Most people would answer this question with Addi Turbos, hands down. I don't really notice that much of a difference in speed though between my different needles.

brownishcoat
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
My fastest needles are Knitpicks Options and they barely click at all (for me).

www.knitpicks.com

rebecca
09-12-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm afraid I'm not aware of a silencer for metal needles..sorry, they all seem to click. I will have to say that the fastest for me are knitpicks new Options needles. Then, there are the famous Addi Turbos. Both are metal with a nickle (it is nickle, isn't it?!) coating which makes them very slick, very fast.

shore--alpaca
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
These are both circular needles though? :( I hate circular needles. :??

brendajos
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Why?

itsbecca1979
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Oh gosh circs are the best! The Options also come in DPNs for sizes 0-3 I think?

Quiara
09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
These are both circular needles though? :( I hate circular needles. :??

Isn't this like knitting blasphemy or something? ^_~

shore--alpaca
09-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I just like looking at my work better on straight needles. Circular needles bunch up.

Quiara
09-12-2006, 09:35 PM
It's okay. We still love you. ^_~

brendajos
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
well i got nuthin' then...i have never used a straight needle in my whole knittin' life! :shrug: ;)

you can get longer circs! :happydance:

shore--alpaca
09-13-2006, 02:41 AM
lol. Big fans of circular needles I see???? :) I just like the feel/ weight in hands better of straight needles/ and like I said it seems easier to see it as its knitting up if you want to make changes/ etc. I.E. as per feel of circular I also hate the "string" thing bunching up and making noise and the weight/ feel of it below the needles when I'm knitting. ;)

bjc1050
09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
I haven't used my straights since getting circulars, but the Susan Bates SilvaLumes come in straights and I like them better than Boyes. They seem smoother and faster. Can't remember if they click or not.

brownishcoat
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
The Knitpicks Options can be used as straight needles. Just attach a cable to each needle and put a button on each end. Voila! Can't beat the versatility.

aineepooh1
09-13-2006, 02:36 PM
I undestand your dislike for circs.. the first time I tried them I felt like I was kniting knots into more knots.. I bought some big ones 15, 17 and I like them much better. You do have to keep and eye on your yarn because it will get caught up the cable between the needles.
but for straights!!
I like susan bates 15 extra long needles(don't know the lenght sorry)
I love the feel of susan bates. I don't i like the clinking metal and that it won't give. I tried bamboo.. not slick
Try some Susan bates in the longest size you can get..
Good Luck :happydance:

nadja la claire
09-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I really don't use straights that much any more but when I do I like to use bamboo but I agree with bjc1050 Susan Bates are good. As far as the click is concerned I kind of like that. I reminds of my grand mother.

Nadja xxx

shore--alpaca
09-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Really? :?? you can use the knitpicks options on straight needles? You say "attach the cable"? what's the cable???? :) Yeah ainee that's sort of how I feel about circulars too. ;) I used bamboo as a beginner but like metal now that I'm better at it because its faster. ;) I'll look into those susan bates! Thanks! :)

brownishcoat
09-13-2006, 07:48 PM
The cable is the flexible part you attach the needle tip to.

Quiara
09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Really? :?? you can use the knitpicks options on straight needles? You say "attach the cable"? what's the cable???? :)

You can do this with any of the interchangeable sets. It makes a flexible straight. I don't know why, but it bugs the snot out of me that they aren't the same length: you have to use two different cables, one for each needle.

brownishcoat
09-14-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know why, but it bugs the snot out of me that they aren't the same length: you have to use two different cables, one for each needle.

The Knitpicks Options cable sets come with 2 cables (of the same length) and the full interchangeable set comes with 2 cables each in 24" and 32", so this is not an issue with that set.

hellokitty165
09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
My fastest needles are Knitpicks Options and they barely click at all (for me).

www.knitpicks.com

me too... they are so smooth and the price is great !!!!!

hellokitty165
09-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Really? :?? you can use the knitpicks options on straight needles? You say "attach the cable"? what's the cable???? :) Yeah ainee that's sort of how I feel about circulars too. ;) I used bamboo as a beginner but like metal now that I'm better at it because its faster. ;) I'll look into those susan bates! Thanks! :)

check the website out
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Needles_Options.aspx