PDA

View Full Version : need help picking a yarn

Lucy Fan
09-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I really want to knit this sweater http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/itemid_50434220/projects_display but the yarn shown with the project would be so expensive. Is there any yarn out there that could be used to create this sweater that would be soft (not itchy) and wouldn't run me over $40? I don't know if that would be possible, but I thought I'd ask the experts. :-) Thank you.

brendajos
09-13-2006, 05:25 PM
cheaper than knitpicks? maybe elann will have something... :shrug:

Julie
09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
That sweater uses the equivelant of 1100+ of bulky weight yarn -- even a cheap acrylic.wool blend like wool-ease thick & quick (which knits on the recommended needle size for the pattern) would run you about $50 for that kind of yardage. IMHO the recommended yarns are soooo much more worth the money. They are wonderfully soft! :D

Dilly
09-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I knit that sweater! I did it in the colours shown, too. I only finished it on Labour Day weekend, and I haven't worn it yet. It would be hard to subsitute different yarns for it, because it is double stranded. I'm not sure you can beat the KnitPick prices.

If you do decide to go for it, let me know if have any questions about it. It was my first sweater and I did run into a few problems, but those had to do with me learning about sweaters, and not problems with the pattern.

VictoiseC
09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
That's a great sweater, I really like it. And awfully cheap at 38.00+ don't you think? If you can't afford that right now, have you ever considered unwinding a sweater and using that yarn? I've heard people buy sweaters at second hand shops and unravel them. I've never done that but it's a thought.

$2.50 a ball of yarn is so inexpensive. Also, you could check on ebay for low priced yarns, they have a lot.

slgn
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I've heard people buy sweaters at second hand shops and unravel them.I haven't recycled yarn yet either but it's something I plan to do as my stash lowers. If that's the way you want to go LF, here's a great tutorial: The Recycled Yarn Tutorial (http://www.neauveau.com/recycledyarn.html)

Lucy Fan
09-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the help everyone! Maybe I'm confused. I'm thinking that the sweater is going to cost me $80+ because of the double yarn. Is that correct? The merino style costs about $35 and the Suri Dream costs about $50 so it would be a total of $85. Is that not right? I do think that knit picks has great prices, it's just that $85 seems so expensive for a sweater. I'm fairly new to knitting and I know that yarn is expensive and projects can be expensive, but I just cann't afford to spend $85 on one sweater. I was trying to find a way to make it for less, but I guess there's not. :shrug: Oh well...I'll have to skip this project for now.

Julie
09-14-2006, 04:24 PM
It depends on what size you're making....the yarn cost for the size small is about $48...8 balls of Merino Style ($20) and 7 balls of Suri Dream ($28 ). :D

Stiney
09-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, based the project requirements, yarn would range from $41.37-$60.81, based on size. Then tax and shipping. If my math is right, anyway.

And recycling a sweater is a good idea, too! I can't wait to hit some secondhand shops, now that I read that tutorial!

Lucy Fan
09-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh geez, I didn't even try to add up how much I would be using. :oops: I just figured the "yarn cost as little as $xx.xx" was for a small. :oops: :oops: Those prices you mentioned are a lot more affordable. :happydance:

Now I have to figure out what size I am.....

Stiney
09-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Definitely check the math, because even though I work on math textbooks, I can't do math! (Actually, no one I work with can. They laughed at me on the interview when I asked, "Is it okay that I can't do math?" We hire math professors to accuracy check the math.) The yarns were $3.99 and $2.49 per ball, which seems really affordable. :) But let me know if it's doable!

Lucy Fan
09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
I came up with $47.85 for a medium so you're math looks right. :mrgreen: Plus free shipping for orders over $40 :happydance: I might have to wait until my birthday (January) before we can afford it. It always seems that come September we start hitting all kinds of extra expenses...b-days, plates, Christmas...etc.