PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts, please.... A Touch of Whimsy FO & pattern

rebecca
09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
I have written a scarf pattern and am currently knitting the sample in my yummy malabrigo yarn. I hope to finish today or tomorrow. Anyway, I blocked it a bit last night so I could get a look at it. What do you think, is it too busy? Do you like it? Would you wear it? Would you knit it? Should I go ahead and write it up?
Many thanks.

MaryB
09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I think it is beautiful. The pattern is delicate and very pretty. You should definitely write this one up........a winner! :thumbsup:

Mama Bear
09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Very lovely. I'm not a scarf knitter.. so my feedback probably isn't that useful.

A few things I might want to know if I were considering a scarf though..

How do the edges do roll wise? How wide is the scarf?

Mama Bear

knitaddict
09-15-2006, 12:10 PM
That is beautiful! I say write it up. :)

rebecca
09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Thank you, Mary, you are so sweet!
Thanks, MB! I will put the edging info in the pattern, and the size (although, this is the prototype, one could make the scarf any length). This is the lovely part about this edging, it doesn't roll! This is My Knitting Idol, Annie Modesitt's slip st edging. I emailed her to see if it was okay to use it in my pattern and she said yes. It's online as in a free pattern, but I felt it only right to ask her, too. Anyway, it's perfect for scarf edging! I use it with all scarves now. Miss Annie comes up with very, very cool knitty things :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks so much, Jen :cheering: :cheering:

Mama Bear
09-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Neat on the edging! I wondered if you were using that here, but couldn't quiet tell from the photo. I loved how the other scarf you showed with that edge looked and layed so I'm sure this one will be great also!

Mama Bear

Mo0nAngel
09-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I would definitely wear it!!! I'd knit it too if I knew how!! :rofl: :rofl: I think its lovely! :D

KnittyKitty
09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Its gorgeous! I say go for it. Not busy at all! :cheering:

rebecca
09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks, ya'll!!! I will write it up and put it on my blog in a day or two!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Jan in CA
09-15-2006, 12:54 PM
That is gorgeous! I would love to knit that up!

MaryB
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Glad we didn't have to twist your arm too hard. I'll be watching for the pattern. I think I might have just the yarn I would like to use. I bought it in Maine from a wonderful lady who spins her own yarn. Can't wait----------hurry up, Becca! :hug:

Mo0nAngel
09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Thank you, Mary, you are so sweet!
Thanks, MB! I will put the edging info in the pattern, and the size (although, this is the prototype, one could make the scarf any length). This is the lovely part about this edging, it doesn't roll! This is My Knitting Idol, Annie Modesitt's slip st edging. I emailed her to see if it was okay to use it in my pattern and she said yes. It's online as in a free pattern, but I felt it only right to ask her, too. Anyway, it's perfect for scarf edging! I use it with all scarves now. Miss Annie comes up with very, very cool knitty things :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks so much, Jen :cheering: :cheering:

I was wondering about that as well!! :D thanks!! i think I might use that for my future scarves :D :D

jodstr2
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
:inlove: ooooh rebecca, that is stunning!!! :inlove:

CarmenIbanez
09-15-2006, 01:31 PM
BeeYoo-T-Ful! I really like it a lot~

Amber
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh Becka, I love it, love it, love it!! How do you come up with this stuff??! You amaze me!

jhelanee
09-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Let us know when the pattern is up, please! It looks like it may be the perfect design for a scarf I have been thinking of making. :happydance:

janelanespaintbrush
09-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Beautiful! :cheering:

hellokitty165
09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
I have written a scarf pattern and am currently knitting the sample in my yummy malabrigo yarn. I hope to finish today or tomorrow. Anyway, I blocked it a bit last night so I could get a look at it. What do you think, is it too busy? Do you like it? Would you wear it? Would you knit it? Should I go ahead and write it up?
Many thanks.

Hi Rebecca,

i give you my two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

go ahead and write the pattern... cool bananas !!!!

rebecca
09-15-2006, 03:56 PM
:muah: :muah: Thanks, guys!!!! Ya'll are just amazing :muah: :muah:
I have the pattern written, I just have to type it up. I used an ICord cast on so I just finished writing a tutorial for it on my blog (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2006/05/i-cord-cast-on.html) because I couldn't find a visual one online, if you get a chance, I would greatly appreciate any feedback..you know, does it make sense?! :roflhard:
I am now off to knit it!

shore--alpaca
09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Very pretty. ;) I'd call it lace "branches" or something. ;)

nadja la claire
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
:inlove: WOW!! I LOVE IT!!!!!! :notworthy: :inlove: :notworthy: Will you share the pattern? PLEEEEEEASE?!!!!!!!!!! :pray:

Nadja xxx

fluffypechey
09-15-2006, 06:11 PM
I would definitely wear it!!! I'd knit it too if I knew how!! :rofl: :rofl: I think its lovely! :D

I totally agree with Moonangel if I knew how I would :roflhard:

It is a very pretty scarf I would definately wear it (if some cleverer person than me knitted it!
:teehee: )

:hug: Sharon

rebecca
09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
It's not a hard pattern, Sharon! I promise! I will certainly let ya'll know when i have the pattern up! Thanks everyone :muah:

fluffypechey
09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Thanks that will be great. By then maybe I will have practiced more and got my confidence back.

Looking forward to it.

mks22300
09-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh Becka! It's beautiful and I would definitely love to make it!

Ellen Edwards
09-15-2006, 07:13 PM
It's beautiful, Becka!! You should cal it "Becka's Lacy Leaves"!!

Talula Fairie
09-15-2006, 09:44 PM
THAT is BE-YOU-TEE-FUL!!!!

Seriously, it's fantastic work. I love lace scarves (can you tell?). I would definitely knit that. Is it an easy-ish knit? I've not done lace before and that looks like a great project to learn it with.

aineepooh1
09-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Rebecca
I love the pattern and it is not to busy. I do think it might too much if knitted up in a varigated yarn. It does look a little intimidating for a beginner( like me) but overall a very lovely design.

wildforyarn
09-16-2006, 11:28 AM
It is absolutely beautiful! I am looking forward to the pattern! love it! putting it on my to do list for Christmas gifts. :) :happydance:

hydeemarie
09-16-2006, 11:45 AM
I like it! love the color. You should really write it up. You know what though.... it reminds me of the Irish Hiking Scarf but this one is more sophisticated!! mmmmmm. :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah: :muah:

rebecca
09-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks to each and every one of you!! :muah: You make me feel so special :muah:

I think that I overstated when I said that this pattern is easy. I believe that it will prove to be easy for most veteran knitters, but isn't a project for a beginner, I don't think, because of the icord cast on and bind off. I don't mean to put any off by any means. I just don't want a beginning knitter to become discouraged because I previously said it was easy.
It is a fun knit, enough to keep one interested, I think, with a bit of lace and cabling, slip st. edging and icord cast on and bind off.

Again, thank you all for your encouragement :muah: ya'll are just wonderful :muah: !

I will have the pattern on my blog in a few minutes.
Oh, almost forgot, I've called it "A Touch of Whimsy" scarf.
I used one hank of malabrigo and size 8 needles. The length is 5 ft, of course it can easily be lengthened by using more yarn! And it's 5 inches wide.

knitaddict
09-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Absolutely stunning!!! I can't wait to read the pattern. :) Quick question, though - how do you do an ICord bind off? :??

CindyH
09-16-2006, 12:47 PM
OOOOOOoooooo, that's pretty!!!

fluffypechey
09-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Jennifer I would like to know about binding off with the i-cord too!! :shrug:

wildforyarn
09-16-2006, 12:55 PM
I will have the pattern on my blog in a few minutes.
Oh, almost forgot, I've called it "A Touch of Whimsy" scarf.
I used one hank of malabrigo and size 8 needles. The length is 5 ft, of course it can easily be lengthened by using more yarn! And it's 5 inches wide.

Impatiently waiting.... :nails:

J/K.... am looking forward especially now that you said you knitting with one hand of mmmmmm. I have one hank that I have been trying to decide what to do with... this project IS IT!! :cheering:

sara_jayne
09-16-2006, 01:16 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Beautiful, Becka!!! I'll definatley have to make this - could you write up a matching hat pattern please? :oops: I want a matching hat and scarf for my self and this pattern is too pretty to pass up!

The i-cord bind off is a really neat - I've done it on purses - you actually make an icord as you bind off!

rebecca
09-16-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm so excited that ya'll want to knit this scarf :cheering: :cheering: I mean, I'm really excited and very, very honored :teehee:

As for the bind off and cast on, both are explained in the pattern and have links to tutorials. The pattern is now up on my blog and can be found here (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2006/05/touch-of-whimsy-scarf-pattern.html), or, if you lose this link it's also on my sidebar.

I'm so excited, thanks so much for choosing this scarf, you guys, ya'll are GREAT :muah: :muah:

kemp
09-16-2006, 01:54 PM
YUM!

nadja la claire
09-16-2006, 05:10 PM
:muah: Thank you so much for posting your beautiful pattern. I can't wait to try it. I hope I can do it justice.

Nadja xxx

Mo0nAngel
09-16-2006, 08:05 PM
wowwww that looks gorgeous!! I absolutely love it!!!!

fluffypechey
09-16-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks so much for that. I showed it to my mum. She thought it was stunning and is going to knit it :cheering:

She is a much better knitter than me :oops: she can show me the ropes and then I will do it.

Its nice to have a free pattern we are sending you a thankyou hug from England.

Thanks again.

:hug: :muah:
Sharon and her mum.

gimmesanity
09-17-2006, 12:40 AM
Thanks, Becka!! The pattern is fab-o....def going on my to-do-soon list. :hug:

rebecca
09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
:muah: Thanks so much, everyone!!! You make me feel great :muah:

Julie
09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Beautiful pattern, Becka! Now if only I had a single skein of Mmmmmm lying around... ;)

Pixywhispers
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM
I'm gone for a day or two (or three) and I miss this? WOW Rebecca! I am in love! I love this! I'm really not into making scarfs (south Texas heat) but this is so pretty, I think I might just do it for the heck of it.

I like that it's a lacy look you can do with a thickish wool and it looks delicate and not mismatched with the pattern. And I'm with SJ, can we have a hat pattern too? Please?

Rebecca, is it possible for the newbie knitters to just try a different cast on? Would it look just awlful without it?

rebecca
09-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks so much, guys :muah:
Pixy, I think that it would be just fine to try any cast on and cast off, the only difference would be is that there wouldn't be the edge definition on the ends and I don't think that it would make much difference. It may roll a bit, but I think it will still look nice!
As for a hat...of course, I'm gonna do a hat...and fingerless gloves, I'm sure! I always have to knit a hat and fingerless gloves to match my scarves...LOL! Although, I won't have these for a while because I'm really and truly finally knitting a few gift projects!
When I do the hat and fingerless gloves I am going to use my corn yarn, too...I think! So, that will be a different gauge....I may just have to whip one up with both dk and worsted yarns.
You see, it doesn't get all that cold here, either, so for me, the scarf is going to get much more use if i knit it with a yarn that's not so warm (so that's why I will be using the A-maizing!)..this one will be a gift!
Thanks so much for asking for a hat to match...I'll sure let you know when it's done!
I am so thrilled and honored that ya'll like it :cheering:

aineepooh1
09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Is there anyway to make a hat using chunky/superchunky yarn and large needles..
I would love to try one for my first hat..!!

thanks

nadja la claire
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
I was just reading through your fabulous pattern and I was wondering about the slipped stitches. Are they slipped kwise or pwise? :?? I'm waiting for my KP shipment to get started on this and other Christmas gifts. Oh the waiting is killing me :tap: :nails:

Nadja xxx

rebecca
09-20-2006, 01:12 PM
Hey! The sts are slipped purlwise. I'm so happy that you are interested in the pattern!!! Thank you!

As for the bulky hat pattern, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that the pattern will not fit (the way that I hope to design the hat) on the hat should I use bulky yarn, I'm so sorry. But, thanks so much for your interest!