PDA

View Full Version : OT-- Kitty problems - a little long UPDATE!!!!

orcoastknitter
09-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Well, I am trying to be positive about my Oreo kitty (his picture is my avatar). He has been suffering from allergies since May. His poor little neck and head have been covered in scabs. He has been to the vet three times for treatment. This last time seems more promising. We have found the root of the problem. He has been getting bit by these little bugs called "noseeums" (at least that is what the vet called them). They are these little biting bugs that are worse than mosquitoes. The vet said she has seen more cats this year with this problem, some worse than him.

He is a great cat. I love him to pieces. Of course the feeling isn't mutual, more on that later. I got him from the humane society along with Cookie. He was returned once before he came to live with me. The reason he was returned, get this, "too affectionate". Stupid people. Only thing this little guy wanted was love!

Well me, being the care taker of all our pets. I have to be the one to give the meds. If you know cats, giving them pills isn't easy. It can be a little stressful for the both of us. Luckily, there are no pills involved in this case. I have to give him ear meds as well as putting cream on his scabs. Plus he has to wear a little sockette around his neck so he doesn't scratch his wounds. For sometime now I have found cat pee on some of my clothes and other items (that haven't been put away). When he went for his yearly check up, I had a urinalysis done as well, because of the peeing. No UTI or bladder infections. After his last visit to the vet my mom mentioned to the vet about his urniation habits, she said it's stressed related due the allergies. I am trying stay positive that this problem will eventually disappear once his scabs are gone. Tonight I found some pee on one of my yarn baskets.

I understand that he is not himself. I can't give up. I am not that type of person. I just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I bought this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHUQM/103-0365181-4299079?ie=UTF8/) in hopes to relieve some of the stress. It has been helping. I also bought special cat litter to help attract him to use the litter box. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions, I know there are few cat owners on this forum. Has anybody use Bach's Rescue Remedy? I think I might try that next.

Sorry for such a long post.

Jodi
:?eyebrow:

Mo0nAngel
09-16-2006, 12:25 AM
that is a lovely cat!! reminds me of one I used to have, he had that same black and white pattern...well I can't say I relate since I have no cats..but my chihuahua has been having some skin problems lately :( I have no clue what it is but he as well has scabs all over his skin and front legs, plus he had a fungus on one of his paws, my poor puppy has been licking and scratching all over...i'm taking him to the vet tomorrow, I hope its nothing too bad...I hope your kitty gets well after the treatment!! :)

XbelovedXoneX
09-16-2006, 07:35 AM
First of all, Oreo is such a gorgeous kitty! While my cat hasn't had skin allergy he used to have a very naughty problem with not using the litterbox. His was caused by stress too. He's a very anxious thing, the poor dear. I blame it on the fact that his former owners (my ex-roommates) kicked him outside after he kept pushing screens out to get outside. He was a declawed cat and was completely defenseless against the stray cats in the area! Ok, that's a whole other can of worms so I will stop!

I didn't use any medications or treatments for his allergies. What I did that seemed to help was provide multiple litterboxes, keep the boxes extrememly clean, and NEVER leave any clothes, towels, etc lying about to tempt him!! Plus, whenever I saw him use the box I'd praise him like crazy. I haven't had any lapses with him peeing on clothes, except for ones left in the basement(where the litterboxes are) when I haven't cleaned the boxes in a fair amount of time. :oops:

janelanespaintbrush
09-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Your kitty is so cute! It's horrible to think he has scabs all over his neck. :pout:

I don't have any answers for you, but I did want to ask you the name of the special litter you bought. We have been having trouble transitioning our kitty to a new covered box, and she has been, let us say, rebelling a bit by peeing where she shouldn't. :ick: (Yes, you're not alone!)

You also have to let us know your experience with the comfort zone product. I never knew such a thing existed.

I hope your kitty gets better soon. :muah:

letah75
09-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Over the years my cat has pee'd on stuff in the house, and it's always mine. Every time he has done it I have taken him to the vet. The first time I took him, the vet asked who was the primary care/love giver to the cat, I was, and that is why I was so upset about it.

The vet said that when a cat takes to peeing on one person's stuff, and that person is the main one to take care of the cat, that the cat is trying to tell that person that something is wrong. Generally they don't feel good. And it sounds like you cat doesn't feel good (obviously).

My mom's cat is having the same problem with bites 'n stuff. He's got little bald patches and he's gotten the nickname of Telly (for Savalas).

I'm sure everything will get better, and as soon as he starts feeling better he will stop peeing on your stuff.

orcoastknitter
09-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Your kitty is so cute! It's horrible to think he has scabs all over his neck. :pout:

Thank you everyone! :hug: He is a beautiful cat in every which way (when he is feeling himself). He is our might hunter! He gets along better with our dog than with the other cats in the house.

I don't have any answers for you, but I did want to ask you the name of the special litter you bought. We have been having trouble transitioning our kitty to a new covered box, and she has been, let us say, rebelling a bit by peeing where she shouldn't. :ick: (Yes, you're not alone!)

The litter that I bought is called Dr Elsey's Cat Attract. I purchased it at PetSmart. It runs about $11.00 for a 20 pound bag. So far the cats like it. It clumps a lot better than the Costco stuff I was using. It comes with a little booklet that goes over litter box behavior and solutions. It mentions that the use of Feliaway along with the Cat Attract litter work together to help with behavioral marking.

I am going to purchase some of the Rescue Remedy today when I head into town. You put it in their water, it's to help calm them down and destress, from what I understand. I had a few friends that gave it to their dogs when there were thunderstorms. If you notice the ticker below I am adding a new dog to the family in December. I hope this doesn't stress kitty out. But I will have this stuff on hand just in case.

Thank you again for all your help! :hug:

stitchywitch
09-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Oh... poor Oreo! We had a cat named Oreo who looked just like yours, and she was one of the sweetest cats I've ever seen.

I just read a book called "Is your cat crazy (http://www.amazon.com/Your-Crazy-Solutions-Casebook-Therapist/dp/0028608380/sr=8-1/qid=1158477142/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8740992-6620727?ie=UTF8&s=books), which is written by someone who works with cat behavior problems, and I thought it was really helpful in understanding why they do the things they do.

It said that (among other things) you should make sure that the litter box is in a private area where the cat feels secure, with an easy escape route. If there are spots where the cat frequently urinates you should play with the cat in the same area, so it associates the things with play rather than the bathroom.

I know it's frustrating! My cats have had troubles at various times, but somehow we've always worked things out!

knitncook
09-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Poor dear Oreo! I hope you come to a solution. We had a problem with one of our cats peeing on everything and she was SO stressed all the time. We used to put chamomille tea in her water dish. We soon realized that she was just not happy with us :( She really couldn't handle the stress and hub-bub of three active homeschooled kids being active at home all the time. We found her a home with an elderly couple that had no other animals and she is quite happy.

Hopefully once you get the allergy problem solved you will have a happy cat again. I know when our cats have had flea problems that they tend to behave in obscure ways as well. Sleeping on top of counters or knocking things off desks (and yes peeing on stuff they shouldn't.)

orcoastknitter
09-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Well just thought I would give you an update. All of Oreo's scabs are gone! His ears are 100% better! I think he actually used the litter box this time! I am just sooooo happy! :cheering: I have been giving him extra attention every night. We play chase the measuring tape. He loves it! Whenever I see him I give him a little scratch on the chin and tell him that he is handsome. I know it sounds silly, but I figure anything I do positive around him will help unstress the little guy.

Now only if I could teach my little Cookie how to come home before 1 am things will be great!

:woot:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-21-2006, 12:27 AM
:cheering:

janelanespaintbrush
09-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Yay! I'm so glad to hear he's better! :cheering:

stitchwitch
09-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm glad he's better, poor little guy. We have noseeums here, they're flying, nasty, hateful things. The bite is like a little needle piercing you but you can't see them, hence the name. Some people like me just find them irritating, others develop horrible reactions. Unfortunately, your poor kitty must too. I wonder if there is a natural type "OFF" type of repellent that you could use on him? Maybe something the vet has or that is made from natural oils that is safe for pets.

krazy4kats
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Hi Jodi. I'm so glad Oreo is on his way back to being himself. If you're around him when he just finishes using his box, make sure and give him some extra attention and/or treats to positively reinforce his good behavior.

Re the Feliway - If things settle down, you may want to unplug it after a time and then start up again a few days before your puppy comes. I found I usually had better luck with it if it wasn't continuously used, wondering if they get kind of used to it and it becomes less effective.

Re the Bach Rescue Remedy - In addition to putting the drops in the drinking water, you can also rub it directly on the cat (or dog!). I would put a drop on my finger and thumb and then give them a little kitty massage behind the ears. If he lets you handle his front paws, you can also try rubbing some on his "wrists", right above where the foot bends into the leg. I always figured they might then get a little bonus dose that way when they bathed.

Re the Cat Curfew - We always give the cats a prize when they come home after being called: food, treats, a brushing, even just a few extra pets with a lot of "good boy". They all learned pretty quick it was to their benefit to respond - 95% of the time they are all home within 10 minutes of being called.

Re pilling the cat - Try Pill Pockets for cats (they also make them for dogs, but they are usually easier to pill anyway) - they come in chicken or salmon flavor. They are moist treats with a pocket in the center where you place the pill and seal the treat, making sure the entire pill/caplet is covered (I put all pills in gel caps first to really disguise them!). I usually give one empty treat first, then the "loaded" one, then another empty one once the pill is down the hatch. I've had mixed results - one cat always eats them, one never eats them (he doesn't like treats of any kind anyway) and the third is good for a few days and then wises up. But it's worth a try, since pilling a cat is usually really bad!

orcoastknitter
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Re the Feliway - If things settle down, you may want to unplug it after a time and then start up again a few days before your puppy comes. I found I usually had better luck with it if it wasn't continuously used, wondering if they get kind of used to it and it becomes less effective.

I noticed last night my other cat checking out the diffuser. I think I will put it away for a bit.

Re the Bach Rescue Remedy - In addition to putting the drops in the drinking water, you can also rub it directly on the cat (or dog!). I would put a drop on my finger and thumb and then give them a little kitty massage behind the ears. If he lets you handle his front paws, you can also try rubbing some on his "wrists", right above where the foot bends into the leg. I always figured they might then get a little bonus dose that way when they bathed.

I will have to try that, maybe if I rub it on me he will like me more? :rofl:

How often should I put it in their water?

Re the Cat Curfew - We always give the cats a prize when they come home after being called: food, treats, a brushing, even just a few extra pets with a lot of "good boy". They all learned pretty quick it was to their benefit to respond - 95% of the time they are all home within 10 minutes of being called.

This problem will eventually get better with Cookie. Since it's starting to get colder at night, she is usually in by 5 or 6 pm. Minnie, she is inside most of the time, goes out to potty and then back in to torment the rest of the animals (even the 75 lbs dog!). Oreo, he likes to stay outside until about 10 or 11. He loves to hunt, even in the rain.

Two of my females love treats. Oreo on the other hand, doesn't like them. When it's time to get Cookie in all I have to do is yell "Whippy Cream" and she comes a runnin'.

Re pilling the cat - Try Pill Pockets for cats (they also make them for dogs, but they are usually easier to pill anyway) - they come in chicken or salmon flavor. They are moist treats with a pocket in the center where you place the pill and seal the treat, making sure the entire pill/caplet is covered (I put all pills in gel caps first to really disguise them!). I usually give one empty treat first, then the "loaded" one, then another empty one once the pill is down the hatch. I've had mixed results - one cat always eats them, one never eats them (he doesn't like treats of any kind anyway) and the third is good for a few days and then wises up. But it's worth a try, since pilling a cat is usually really bad!
I just catch them before they leave the laundry room where their food is located. I just tilt their heads back, open their mouths and pop the pill in, and rub their neck! Ta da gone! I wish they were more like Jake our dog, he just eats them out of your hand.

Thanks for the great advice. Last night I played with Oreo around the areas where he peed. He just had a great time. I had the Catnip Video playing in the background. Minnie almost ran smack into the TV, it was quite comical.

amy
09-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Jodi,
Sweet kitty! Sorry you're having probs with peeing. Glad it sounds like it's improving.

My last cat started peeing around the house, and it was because she was acting out her dissattisfaction with us (we were trying to force her to be an indoor cat, after years of being an outdoor. Didn't work!)

I wonder if Oreo was acting out because he doesn't like having to take the pills, or get the other treatments. It sounds like all the positive attention you're giving him is working to balance out the stuff he didn't like. I think that's the ticket. You might also try doing the unpleasant treatments directly before dinnertime, so he can have the reward of dinner afterwards. But probably by now it sounds like he's getting used to the treatments more, and understands that you're not just torturing him! I'm sure the extra attention you're giving is going a long way!

I'm glad the treatments are working! :heart: You sounds like a WONDERFUL cat-owner, he's lucky to have you!

krazy4kats
09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I always just redosed the water when I changed it. Recommended dose for animals is 10 drops per bowl, a higher amount than what they say for humans, but I think because the animal generally doesn't consume the whole bowl of water. I'm thinking that's for an "average" sized bowl - I added much more since I have a fountain style and it holds 50 oz.

I had a good chuckle on "Whippy Cream" - my Buttons loves pastry and goes ga-ga when he hears those plastic store bought baked goods containers and my Skampi is a chicken addict, so I know how that goes! We try to get everybody in by dark, since the nightlife here is dangerous. We lost a cat 2 years ago, we suspect to a coyote and since they start coming out around sunset, that's cat curfew here. Temp makes no matter to my "boys", although 2 don't like rain - the chicken addict doesn't care about getting wet, as long as he's out! And the cat that disappeared loved water, he even jumped into the trout pond once - although that was short lived when he discovered it was 10 feet deep and 45 degrees!

You're lucky yours are easy to pill, although you're right to "surprise" them - once they get a whiff of what's going on, they're history! How do you keep them from backing away or evading the head tilt? I have NO luck with that! I usually get DH involved and then they know something is up and then there's too much anxiety. Then it's just a fiasco!

orcoastknitter
09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
You're lucky yours are easy to pill, although you're right to "surprise" them - once they get a whiff of what's going on, they're history! How do you keep them from backing away or evading the head tilt? I have NO luck with that! I usually get DH involved and then they know something is up and then there's too much anxiety. Then it's just a fiasco!

Here is what I do: While they are standing on the counter I just wrap my arm around the back of them. Grab the back of the head, tilt back and pry the mouth open. It has taken many tries, but I pretty much have it down pat. Unfortuatley Oreo doesn't like treats. So I reward him with gentle pets and chin scratch. Our vet gave us his final shot to take home with us last week. I am going to give it to him on Saturday. The good thing is that I can drizzle it on his food and not have to poke the little guy. :pout:

I am going to talk with the vet next month when he goes back for his checkup about how to handle this next year. I don't want him to go through this again.

Thanks again for letting me tell you all my worries. I was pretty much in tears whenever I looked at the little guy. He had such a rough beginning, now he is happy and healthy! :hug:

krazy4kats
09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
I'd rather do the shot than the pill. LOL! But I'll give your method a whirl next time I'm in need - should be shortly since Bailey is due for his dental cleaning and will no doubt need to have some teeth pulled.

It will be interesting to see if the vet has any solution to avoid being bitten. I don't think the standard flea and tick meds would work, and of course you can't put insect repellent on them. Once bitten, I wonder if benadryl would help with the itching and swelling?

I did read that the bugs are most active (and biting) primarily at dusk and dawn (hmmm, kind of like a CAT!) and that even a slight breeze deters them from flying about and they will seek shelter in the foliage/vegetation (no doubt where the cat is walking through!). The larvae need organic material with a high moisture content to continue their cycle - if you've had a lot of rain this season that may have contributed to the overabundance of them in your area.

Let's hope next year is not as bad and we have many more happy and healthy years with our fur babies!

Marilyn0202
09-21-2006, 10:40 PM
What are you feeding Oreo? My dog has allergies and does really well on natural foods. You could try feeding fresh chicken and fish for a few weeks and see if things clear up.

orcoastknitter
09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
What are you feeding Oreo? My dog has allergies and does really well on natural foods. You could try feeding fresh chicken and fish for a few weeks and see if things clear up.

To make a VERY long story short, I am feeding all three Felidae (http://www.canidae.com/cats/cat_and_kitten/dry.html/). They were on Science Diet C/D before because another vet diagnosed my oldest with a UTI. Before the Science Diet they were on Felidae. I read somewhere that cats should not have a lot of corn in their diet (which Science Diet has). Last summer he was on Felidae and didn't have this bad of a problem. At the start of this season he was on Science Diet. I was told by a few friends to put flax seed oil in their food to help with their skin (the other two cats had a few scabs, but not as bad as Oreo).