PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I'm new and have a question

Anastasia Beaverhausen
09-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Hello, I've been reading for a day or so and am so glad I found this place :)

I'm brand new to knitting. I'm working on my first project which is a ribbed (knit 2, purl 2) scarf in Caron Simply Soft. It's looking good and I love knitting so far.

I have three questions:

1. I want to make two afghans for Christmas presents and was wondering how easy is it for a brand new knitter to knit simply soft with 3 threads help together? I want to use 2 SS country blue and a SS cream but I'm worried that knitting with 3 yarns held together will be difficult and aggravating.

2. Is Caron Simply Soft a good choice for a soft (not itchy at all) afghan that will wash and wear well?

3. Would doing the afghan in a cable knit be too ambitious for my second project as a new knitter?

knitaddict
09-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll do my best. :) I've never used Caron SS, but I've heard wonderful things about its softness.

It's no different to knit with 2 or 3 strands together than to knit with one. My 2nd project was an afghan for ds in a basketweave stitch with 2 strands held together throughout the project. The only problem I had was that it was a really rough acrylic yarn and my hand got sore from the rubbing. I don't know that you'll have that problem with SS.

As for whether an afghan is too ambitious (sp)... My 2nd and 3rd projects were afghans. My belief has always been that the best way to learn is to jump right in and do it. I've learned a lot of really complicated stuff in the 7 short months that I've knitted because I just go for it. So my advice? GO FOR IT!!! :) If you get stuck you can always come here for help. If you get bored, you can always take a break and start a different small project.

dustinac
09-16-2006, 11:32 AM
:blooby: Welcome to the forum!! Isn't Caron Simply soft nice? I love knitting with it.. I've made several scarves and shawls out of it.. I just made some socks with it too using the topical punch pattern... so far the one wash it held up good but I'm not sure how it does if its washed often...

I think you would be fine holding 3 skeins together are you going to be knitting with larger needles too? after awhile you kinda forget that you are knitting with more than one strand.. so I'd give it a try... :thumbsup:

I think you should jump in with cables too.. they are easy to do might be awarkward at first till you find your way of working with the cable needle.. one thing I learned when I started knitting was just to jump in.. I didn't pay any attention to the level it listed.. its the way you learn and if you get stuck or need help of any kind someone is alway here happy to help...

:star:

fluffypechey
09-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Welcome :happydance:

I am new here its great.

I am newish to knitting just getting back into it. Although I have never done a big project or anything complicated.
I actually like knitting with 2 yarns together even 3 I dont find it hard at all. If I can do it so can you.
You can always come here for any problem you have whilst doing a project. Everyone is so knowledgable and get back to you quickly with an answer to your problem.

Go for it the afghan sounds great.

Nice meeting a fellow newbie here.

:hug: Sharon

Sissy
09-16-2006, 12:53 PM
I am working on an afghan with Simply Soft yarn and I am doing 1 strand.I think 3 would be very bulky and hard to work with. :shrug:.Amy

kemp
09-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Welcome! :waving:

CarmenIbanez
09-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Go for it! And Welcome!

nadja la claire
09-16-2006, 01:31 PM
SS is wonderful for afghans. It's soft and warm and the colors are lovely. I've never used multible threads but I'm sure it would work. Post some pics when of it when you can. Happy knitting.

Nadja xxx

rebecca
09-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Looks like everyone else answered your questions. I just wanted to say :waving:

Nikki
09-16-2006, 03:05 PM
:waving: and welcome. You are going to love this place, it's just the best. Cables look hard and are easy. SS is wonderful stuff, but I wonder if 3 wouldn't be a bit heavy? Try swatching and see what you think.
Nikki

Anastasia Beaverhausen
09-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Wow! You guys are wonderful! Thanks so much for all the great advice and the warm welcome! :) :muah:

mks22300
09-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Welcome! :waving:

losnana
09-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I also knit an afghan for my second project, and it used 2 strands of yarn. No different than using 1. Mine was a cheap acrylic, though, and was quite rough. I should have known better than to waste my time on bad yarn! good luck, I'm sure you can do it.

SabrinaJL
09-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I am currently knitting an afghan for my husband with 2 strands of Caron Simply Soft held together. I'm knitting it on size 13's. I knit a swatch with 2 strands on size 15's. It was nice. But if you are going to knit it with 3 strands, I don't think I'd use anything smaller than 17. I definitely agree about knitting up some swatches though. That will give you a better idea of how it's going to feel.

The one I'm knitting for my husband is super simple. It's all going to be in alternating garter and stockinette stripes. The biggest problem is that he wants it to be huge (60" x 80").

The reason I chose the SS is because it IS a nice soft, washable, reasonbly-priced yarn. DH is in the navy and he's going to be taking it on the ship with him so I wasn't going to do it with anything that I'd be upset if it got ruined.

psammeadred
09-16-2006, 09:20 PM
If you're worried about committing to a huge cabled afghan, try making a lapghan first - just a smallish afghan. And once you get started knitting with 3 strands, it'll be a piece of cake.

Anastasia Beaverhausen
09-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Great idea about the lapghan!

Thanks for the needle size suggestion Sabrina :)