PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous Knitted Spiral Counterpane Blanket

Pixywhispers
09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Here is a finished picture in a blog I happened to stumble upon.

http://knityousucka.blogspot.com/2006/03/knitted-spiral-counterpane-blanket.html

Once I saw that picture I HAD to make this. This blanket calls my name! And my social security number! I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

The pattern is found in the book "Knitting Counterpanes" by Mary Walker Phillips. ISBN 0-918804-98-1 It has pictures of each piece of this blanket on page 39, the pattern is on the preceeding pages. On page 2 there is a picture of a completed blanket.

I also have to mention the poem on the dedication page of this book. It is so sweet and has brought tears to my eyes.

The Land of Counterpane
by Robert Louis Stevenson

When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

Isn't that sweet? I hope someone marches leaden soldiers or Polly Pockets through these swirls and across my stitches someday.

I am not sure when I will start mine as I can't decide what color, and I want to make sure I buy enough yarn. I would like to knit it up on size 8s with worsted weight. I'll test it out and figure it out from there. I am planning on having my friend crochet the edge.

This is a long term project for me. I would love to share the experience with you all.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
that's gorgeous! There's a thread about it here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=248958&highlight=counterpane#248958)

mshelton
09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm in on this spiral counterpane coverlet. We will be in San Antonio on Saturday so I will check the Yarn Barn for the needles and #3 thread. I am going to try size 1 double points but don't know if I have the skills to use 5 double points at once. I thought about going to a larger size but I'm afraid that it might make the coverlet too heavy. Of course, I would want it big enough to cover a bed. What do you think? This will be a new experience for me. I expect to go slow on this as I'm working on the Spirit of the Southwest shawl now and plan on knitting several scarfs for Xmas presents too. Hildegard, that's a different counterpoint piece. Why don't you join us!!!!

Pixywhispers
09-22-2006, 09:04 AM
MsShelton, While you are at the Yarn Barn go check out the Lang Silk Dream! My dh got me some for my birthday there. Funny story. I gotta put it in my blog later. Petting it is a dream and the experience of knitting it oh my, it is sooo nice. It's a merino and silk and a little pricey.

I'm very curious to know what size each piece comes out to on these different size needles.

As far as using 5 needles, try it! It's so much easier then it sounds. Each 1/4 will have its own needle and the fifth will be the working needle.

Eeeeee I'm getting excited!

mshelton
09-22-2006, 12:46 PM
I just ordered double point needles from Knitpicks for this. :psst: Then I proceeded to order the Options set, and several skeins of laceweight, and fingering yarns, etc. for other projects. I love the Yarn Barn so I can play with all the pretties but I tend to purchase cheaper yarns on line. I will check out the Lang Silk dream tho and their crochet thread. I think I will drop by JoAnn's today and see what they have in crochet thread. I might buy one skein if they have a #3 to see how it knits up. After research on the web, it appears that #3 is almost close to sports weight but #10 (smaller thread) seems to be most available. I think I will go with an antique rose color if I can find it. I'm excited tooooooo! I've tried double point needles for a pair of socks and it's the only project that I put aside and never finished. I stopped knitting for a couple of months last year when I burned out and just never got back to them for some reason. Maybe because I lost one of the needles (but recently found under the rug) . Are you very experienced with knitting?

knitaddict
09-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I want in on this SO badly, but I just can't right now. Not only can I not get the book for a while (dh is on leave for a month & all our "extra" money is going to our vacation expenses), but I have SO much Christmas knitting left to do and such a short time to do it in.

I hope to be able to join after a while, though. :cheering:

mshelton
09-22-2006, 01:33 PM
knitaddict--I am learning about this and obtaining supplies but I will not be able to work on this much as I also have Xmas gifts pending. So just join us when you can as I'm sure that it will still be going on. By the way, I just asked questions at the Historical knitting group on Yahoo groups about yarn sizing and sources and I was given the site listed below for possible #3 perle or pearl yarns. It does appear to be sports weight. I just ordered their $2.00 sample card so I can actually see the colors. I think this will be cheaper than buying from local craft/yarn stores. I'm sure that they have other yarn/thread sizes too.

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/Yarn_pages/yarn082.html

Pixiewhispers--what yarn do you plan on using.

Pixywhispers
09-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Are you very experienced with knitting?

I want the options so bad! You'll have to give a full review.

I've been knitting for 4 years this October. I wouldn't say I'm super experienced, but I have done a variety of things. I can knit booties, socks, hats, a few sweaters for babies, a little bit of lace. I love to just swatch and see if I can do something. I've swatched and done some dishrags with 5 needles. I can look at a piece of lace and write a pattern for it. :) That knowledge comes from lots of mistakes on lace. :) What I lack in experience I make up for in perseverence.

Pixywhispers
09-22-2006, 02:20 PM
I want in on this SO badly, but I just can't right now. Not only can I not get the book for a while (dh is on leave for a month & all our "extra" money is going to our vacation expenses), but I have SO much Christmas knitting left to do and such a short time to do it in.

I hope to be able to join after a while, though. :cheering:

Knitaddict, This is going to be a longterm project for me. :) I'm not sure when I will be able to budget it in. :) And then once I start it may take me a while. So I know I will be here. :)

Pixywhispers
09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Pixiewhispers--what yarn do you plan on using.

I have no clue.! I am going to do one spiral on 8's with some encore and see how that goes. I do not want to go smaller then 6's. It's going to take long enough for me. But once I do one up on 8s I will have a better idea where I'm going with this.

Tahki is the only cotton I like that I have worked with. But that would be a fortune! I havent used the one you sent a link of. Whatever I use it has to be washable (four kids 11-almost 1). My kids do respect my stuff (mostly) but if I made it out of something unforgiving and they did something to it I would have a hard time. I may go with Encore, or Caron Simply soft. I did a swatch for another project and have been washing it over and over again and it looks great.

slgn
09-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Oh my... I want...
curse you, err I mean Thank you! for posting this find. One more thing added to my To Do list

dustinac
09-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I called my library today they are calling around and seeing if someone will send them a copy that was as soon as they opened.. I still haven't heard back from them :pout:

I showed it to dh last night and he agreed it was a very pretty afghan :cheering:

mshelton
09-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Well, I wasn't able to go to the Yarn Barn in San Antonio today as planned due to traffic delays. But that's okay because I'm looking forward to my Knitpicks delivery and didn't need any more temptations!!! I also checked at Joann's yesterday, but they have a very limited inventory. They did say that they were opening a Super store next year. Don't think I want to wait that long. I'm still researching what I need in order to do a more traditional counterpane. I did find out that #3 or 3/2 crochet cotton does not appear to be sports weight---unless it a very light sports weight. At the Yahoo Group, Historical Knitting, I was provided with a couple of other sources for crochet cotton in case anyone else is going this route. They are

http://www.rmyarns.com/COTTON%20COLORS.htm
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1008-1326/0/7/1372/

Of course Webs certainly has been mentioned in this forum before for their yarns.

Dustin, let us know if they have the library book. I hope it is there for you!!

I might be buying another copy of Counterpanes that I found that is suppose to be in great shape, and if it works out, I will offer the ex-library book I just got from an Amazon partner, Hillsboro Library, for the same price as what I paid. I paid $15.00 plus also almost $10.00 for handling/mailing. That book is usable, all there, but in very bad shape. It needs to be put in a spiral. At least the funds went back to the library. Let me know and anyone is interested in this Phillip's Counterpane book.

dustinac
09-29-2006, 01:13 PM
:cheering: :cheering: the library just called they found one.. I can pick it up today :happydance:

Pixywhispers
09-29-2006, 01:15 PM
woohoo! :happydance:

Stiney
09-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Yay! I checked on my county library's website and there's a library that has it, but not where I can get it. Luckily, I can order it online and they'll deliver it to my home library...so now I'm waiting to hear from the library that it's in.

Pixywhispers
09-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Yeah! :cheering:

slgn
10-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Pixywhispers - thanks again. My Lib didn't have it so I ordered it via interlibrary loan. Now it's in my hot 'lil hands and I LOVE that pattern. The book also has a scallop and a leaf pattern I really like! This might have to be upgraded to a purchase (if I can track a copy down)! Great find - thank you so very much for letting us know! I already have Plan 1 and Plan 2 for this pattern... they're at the end of the list but still, very excited to start these maybe by the holidays? So maybe I can catch up to some of you at that time.

I was thinking of using KP Shine (sport) has anyone figured out how much yarn was used for the original pattern (book sample: size 3 cotton, 9 spirals)? Or how much you are using for whatever size you're making? I've made a Dr. Who scarf which felt like knitting an afghan but I've never actually knit something big like a blanket/afghan.

Stiney
10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
:pout:

The library called today to say the book was in and that they were open until 5:30, but I went to the gym today and didn't LEAVE the gym until 5:30. What a mean message! They're open late tomorrow, though. I'm so excited! I might go look for yarn this weekend, I just found out about a new LYS (and it carries Malibrigo! It will be my first time...) so OBVIOUSLY I have to check it out.

mshelton
10-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I havn't brought my cotton yarn yet for the counterpane but I did buy a couple of 3/2 red cotton balls to try out. I will probably turn the red samples into table mats later. I will also knit a spiral in size 1 or 2 needles to see which of the three I like better.
I do have to go get some 8 inch DPNs as 6 inches is too short IMHO. The stitches kept falling off of the size 6 length. I plan on making a counterpane for a twin bed. If I use the size 3/2 cotton with size 3 DPNs then I figured I will need about 63 spiral medallions for a project this size. But I'm new at this so this is just my best estimate. Here's a picture of the medallion that I have knitted in 3/2 cotton with size 3 DPNs being blocked. It's about 9.5 inches now.
Edit--Can't seem to get my picture to attach. Will try again

mshelton
10-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Congrats on getting the library books!!!! I don't know how much yarn to buy either. I think I will see how many medallions I get out the red size #3 cotton which is 1/8 lb and 150 yards and then order. I'm thinking that for 63 panes and edging for a twin size counterpane, I might need up to 5--1 pound cones. But at this point--this is a wild guesstimate.

Stiney
10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Omigod that is so beautiful. I LOVE the color. Is it 4:30 yet? I need to leave work and go get my book NOW! :tap:

slgn
10-05-2006, 05:13 PM
beautiful!!! mshelton :muah:

I think I'll be making mine a light apple green or maybe a soft turquoise for a baby blanket. I guess I'll just have to get a skein and try to see how many elements (swirls, squares, etc.) I can get out of one [skein] like the book suggests.

Pixywhispers
10-05-2006, 09:40 PM
MsShelton, Beautiful! (red is my favorite color!)

I'm guessing that I may have to make this in sport weight. Because if your thread was falling off six inch dpns a spiral in worsted weight will be huge. Maybe that is why they make 12 inch dpns. heh.

Cawthraven Sorry about the library teasing you like that. Isn't it a neat book?

Did someone mention that there is another counterpane from the book that they would like to make? Which one is it?

dustinac
10-06-2006, 08:49 AM
:heart: love the red and it looks so good!!! I haven't picked a yarn yet lol I need to soon... I prolly won't be able to committ full time to this till after the holidays although I want to start it now :rofl:

slgn
10-27-2006, 07:14 PM
well I finally ordered a skein of KP Shine (sport weight) to do some samples/swatching because I have no idea how much yarn I will need to order for real. So in about two weeks I'll be able to play along (okay maybe three weeks by the time I get around to it :oops: )

I liked a leaf pattern and a fan/shell? pattern too. I can't rememebr now that I've given the book back but I did make the relevant copies (all within fair use, I promise! that's actually part of my job in a library). I'm looking forward to making a scarf or something with that leaf one! (but that is for later, not now :fingerwag: wagging finger at self)

counterpaning here I come! if ever so slowly...

mshelton
10-28-2006, 03:06 AM
I played around with some testing the counterpane sizing but havn't even ordered my yarn yet. I finished off my Spirit of the Southwest shawl and now Just Have To make a few Christmas gifts. I know that I won't get to start for real until after Christmas. Let us know how Shine works for you!

knitaddict
10-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh my goodness - that red is divine!!!! I think I really need to find a yarn that I like to start experimenting with. Who cares that I still have 5 or 6 more Christmas gifts left to make, right? ;)

I can't wait to be able to get in on this kal!

psammeadred
10-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Michaels carries size 3 cotton, as do Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart, I think. It's usually on a shelf near the size 10 crochet cotton.

mshelton
10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
I think I'm going to use hunter green for the bed counterpane. I also had to take into account my DH opinion. I was leaning toward an antique rose color at one time for the spare bedroom but made the mistake of asking my husband's opinion. Guess it's good that green is a favorite color of both of us. LOL I will use the red counterpanes and turn them into placemats for the old porcelein kitchen table I think.

I have checked a couple of places locally, but they always have just a small number of #3 cotton skeins in just a few colors and not enough for a whole coverlet since I want to get the same color lot. The yarn store in San Antonio just got in some great looking #3 cotton but it's so expensive, altho they are willing to order however much I want. I also think it will be cheaper to buy online by the pound. That's when I ever figure out how much I will need to buy. I may break down and finish the red skein I started and see how many spirals it will make. I have already put off making Xmas presents for a couple of months and, I'm having to force myself not to start the counterpane. I have two scarfs on the needles and about to start a pair of mittens for Christmas . Don't know why I get soooo bored with scarfs but maybe if I rotate between projects I can stay entertained. Knitaddict, what yarn are you considering. I just love cotton but it will certainly be heavy. The knitpicks' shine might be nice and we'll have to see how slgn likes it when she gives it a try.

humblestumble
10-31-2006, 01:53 AM
OMG!!! That blanket is gorgeous! I need to find a copy of this book you speak of! I just about fainted looking at that blanket!

If only I could find a copy...

knitaddict
10-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Knitaddict, what yarn are you considering. I just love cotton but it will certainly be heavy. The knitpicks' shine might be nice and we'll have to see how slgn likes it when she gives it a try.
I honestly don't know yet. I can't even pick a color either. It's going to be for my bed - preferrably a summer time replacement for my quilt - so I don't think I want it too heavy. I just don't know yet.

slgn
10-31-2006, 04:39 PM
If only I could find a copy...Some (most?) of us have found it through our public library. If yours doesn't own a copy (mine didn't) you can request they borrow it - the service is called Interlibrary Loan.

I'm not sure where in TX you are but these libraries have it:
HARRIS CNTY PUB LIBR
HIDALGO CNTY LIBR SYST
HOUSTON PUB LIBR
PLANO PUB LIBR SYST
& LAMAR UNIV

It's going to be for my bed - preferrably a summer time replacement for my quiltoh great... now you've got me all excited to do the same. First a baby blanket then a counterpane spread for my bed... sounds good for you but now I think I'm crazy to want to/to be excited to make more than one. :eyes:

Pixywhispers
10-31-2006, 06:43 PM
[quote="slgn"]

HARRIS CNTY PUB LIBR
HIDALGO CNTY LIBR SYST
HOUSTON PUB LIBR
PLANO PUB LIBR SYST
& LAMAR UNIV

[quote]

Thanks Sign! How did you compile this list?

How many of us are Texans, who just happen to love this counterpane? We are in Victoria.

humblestumble
11-01-2006, 12:14 AM
If only I could find a copy...Some (most?) of us have found it through our public library. If yours doesn't own a copy (mine didn't) you can request they borrow it - the service is called Interlibrary Loan.

HARRIS CNTY PUB LIBR
HIDALGO CNTY LIBR SYST
HOUSTON PUB LIBR
PLANO PUB LIBR SYST
& LAMAR UNIV

I'm in Corpus Christi. I looked at our online catalog and they don't have it, but that would be lovely if I could call them and get them to borrow it! Should I just call them and ask them?

slgn
11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Pixywhispers - I do interlibrary loan (but for a hospital library, not public). A knitting library worker... who would'a seen that coming? :teehee: I'm in Corpus Christi. I looked at our online catalog and they don't have it, but that would be lovely if I could call them and get them to borrow it! Should I just call them and ask them?YEP!
Interlibrary Loan
The Interlibrary Loan division of the South Texas Library System may be able to borrow materials from another library in the country if you can't find it in our system. Contact any public library (http://www.library.ci.corpus-christi.tx.us/branches.htm) for details. click on the link to find the branch number you need. Go get 'em tiger!

ETA: BTW you don't need to tell them who has it (i.e. the list above) just that you want that book (title & isbn in first post would be most helpful).

humblestumble
11-02-2006, 01:27 AM
Thanks so much!!! :muah: :happydance: :cheering:

If anything, I can make a copy that way :) I'll have to hold off on huge projects for a while.

photogirl72
11-02-2006, 04:29 PM
I'd love to make this too, but my library.... well lets just say taxpayers in my county don't believe in having a library, so it isn't doing to well.

I haven't even bothered to hold a library card in over 15 years. yes, it is that bad. I did find a copy of the book for $55.90. Ouch!!!! And, that is used!!