PDA

View Full Version : Using a different method to what you normally use KAL

Knitting-teacher
09-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I am not sure if this counts as a KAL I apologise if it does not.

For the last six months I have been telling myself the next knitting project that I start I am going to use it to learn the Continental Method of knitting, but I never do.

:figureditout: I was wondering if anybody would like to join me in a KAL and knit something using a different method to that they usually use. I had the idea of making a scarf, hat and gloves/mittens set, as they would be short projects and people could do whatever style they wanted but I am open to ideas.

Let me know what you think
Christine xxx

rebecca
09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but, I'm sorry to say that that was what we did for our Aug kal, so, I'm not sure how many people will want to do it again. Still, a great idea!!! :cheering:

I did the same thing you did. I was an english knitter, and kept saying I wanted to learn conti knitting and I finally did (about a year ago now) and I must say, I love, love it! Once you get started it's really fun. I watched Amy's videos a few times and knit along with her, then I started on a small project .... although, I switched back and forth from conti knitting to english for a few months, so my tension wasn't really good until I decided to stick with conti knitting.
I wish you lots of luck, it is loads of fun :cheering:

knitaddict
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I never got around to doing the Aug. challenge because I had so many things that needed to get done for gifts. Sadly, I still do and am afraid to try & learn Conti on something I want to give away. kwim? One of these days I'll give it a whirl, though. :heart:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Here's a link (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15985) to the KAL we did last month. Just because it's over doesn't mean it's OVER.... I'm sure people will join in!!!!

rebecca
09-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Very true, hilde! My apologies, I didn't mean that it was over, over :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-24-2006, 01:58 AM
I know!!! :heart:

Knitting-teacher
09-24-2006, 02:28 AM
Thank you for the encouragement Rebecca, and thank you Hildie for the link. It looks like you had lots of fun doing the Aug Challenge. Jamadian's scarf is wonderful. Just what I need, something to get me started. :happydance:

Knitaddict this is not going to be short project, so please join in when you have a chance it will be good to have you along. I have two jumpers and another scarf on some needles and I will carry on using English for those. I had not thought of it before until I read the Aug KAL, it is good to work both sides of the brain so really this KAL is for anybody who wants to give their brain some exercise.

I think I am going to do an Angus - angular scarf http://www.smallknits.com/angus%20angular%20scarf.htm but with 4.5mm needles.

Chrisitne xxx

misstialouise
09-24-2006, 03:01 AM
With an awful case of CT, can I choose using a Loopa??

;)

Knitting-teacher
09-24-2006, 07:43 AM
The Loopa sounds a great idea. :thumbsup: The more the merrier.

:?? By the way what does CT stand for. :oops:

Christine

misstialouise
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
The Loopa sounds a great idea. :thumbsup: The more the merrier.

:?? By the way what does CT stand for. :oops:

Christine

Carpal Tunnel.. the pregnancy has made my hands go numb :(

Knitting-teacher
09-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel.. the pregnancy has made my hands go numb

:( That sounds painfully. I hope your hands get back to normal very quickly once your baby is born. :heart:

Knitting-teacher
09-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Here is my scarf after the first week. As soon as I get home from school and the cat has been fed, well you have to get your priorities right :wink: , I sit down and do some rows. I actually found it a good way to unwind.

After the first day the back of my left-hand ached, and my tension was way too tight, but things are improving, slowly. :thinking: The only thing is I can't count my stitches and knit at the same time, that is why the safety pin is there so I know where the middle is. :lol: Just shows how much my brain needs to be worked.

misstialouise how is the Loopa going?

rebecca
09-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Looking good! I'm sure your hand is hurting from using those muscles differently when conti knitting, mine did the same thing when I 1st switched to conti knitting. So, are you liking knitting conti style?

Knitting-teacher
10-01-2006, 02:57 PM
So, are you liking knitting conti style?
Not sure I would say liking, more that I can see how it is quicker when done properly. :frog:

I was getting so frustrated with the stitches "sticking" that I changed from wood to metal needles today. It has made a difference so maybe by the end of next week I will be enjoying knitting this way more.:thinking: