PDA

View Full Version : Now what should I do? What went wrong?? Help !!!

skNYC
09-23-2006, 02:54 PM
:wall:
I am working on this (http://www.berroco.com/194/194_zeta.html) shawl. I just finished half of it, but it doesn't look like if I made the other half, it will form a shawl. I have duplicated the photo of the finished half, to see how it will look(see link below). It won't form a triangle; instead, it'll form a diamond shape. I have checked the gauge and everything it matches the pattern perfect, but the shape didn't come out expected. What should I do??? Frog the whole thing and make a different shawl?

Suggestions needed.

http://sknyc.blogspot.com/

brendajos
09-23-2006, 03:13 PM
it says it is made in two triangular sections and then seamed together....when you duplicated, you put it in the right place right? what shape do you currently have?

psammeadred
09-23-2006, 03:23 PM
skNYC - have you tried blocking the living daylights out of it? It looks like you might have bigger triangles than you think.

skNYC
09-23-2006, 03:27 PM
If I put the left and right pieces together, I'll get a diamond :waah:

brendajos
09-23-2006, 03:29 PM
can you take a picture of what you have and show it to us?

eta: woops didn't see the blog link :doh:

Ingrid
09-23-2006, 03:32 PM
What about if you put the outer top edges that are in the picture together?

knitaddict
09-23-2006, 03:42 PM
The triangle you knitted appears to be a right triangle. To get a larger triangle out of two right triangles you need to set the right angles (90*)side by side. So the side that you have on the far left & far right actually need to be touching. That will create a straight line at the top and then the other sides of the triangles will create the "legs."

Try blocking it so that it is a true 90* angle and redo your pic to see if that works better. :)

skNYC
09-23-2006, 03:51 PM
... To get a larger triangle out of two right triangles you need to set the right angles (90*)side by side. So the side that you have on the far left & far right actually need to be touching. That will create a straight line at the top and then the other sides of the triangles will create the "legs."

Try blocking it so that it is a true 90* angle and redo your pic to see if that works better. :)

Right now it's a equal sides one - 60* angle for all three of them. Are you saying I can manipulate the shape by blocking it?

Thanks everyone for the input. All suggestions have been tried already. This looks like my last hope.

knitaddict
09-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm surprised that they're all 60*. There's no way to combine 2 60* angles and get 180* (a straight line). I'd be willing to bet that you can block it to manipulate one angle into being 90*. Since all 3 are measuring the same, you could pick any of the 3 to try, but I'd recommend manipulating the one that the pattern shows along the straight edge. Does that make sense? lol

skNYC
09-23-2006, 03:56 PM
...but I'd recommend manipulating the one that the pattern shows along the straight edge. Does that make sense? lol

I'll give it a shot before I spend all those hours to make the other half and probably end up using them for washing cloth...LOL

knitaddict
09-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Good luck! I hope it works out for ya'. :) I'd like to see what it looks like when done blocking.

KristiMetz
09-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Now, what's so bad about a diamond shape?

Can't we just call it a "shawl collar" shawl, and let the top fold back at the neck a bit?

Would it still be big enough to use as a shawl if you did that?

skNYC
09-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Now, what's so bad about a diamond shape?

Can't we just call it a "shawl collar" shawl, and let the top fold back at the neck a bit?

Would it still be big enough to use as a shawl if you did that?

I agree with you; I am all in for some creativity. However, this shawl is for a friend of mine and I don't want her to think I screwed up on a pattern and still give it to her :oops: