PDA

View Full Version : sock virgin

miss eweniverse
09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Would sooooo appreciate some help here!

I am making a pair of hiking socks. Here's where I'm stuck:

To make heel: Slip last 10(10-11-11) sts form 3rd needle. Then leave 20(20-22-22) sts on two other needles or holder for instep. (These sts are going to be left unworked for a while.) Knit to the end of the needle in use. Now continue back and forth on these 20(20-22-22) sts.

I am very confused as to how to knit from the middle of the needle! After slipping the last sts form the 3rd needle and the first sts from the first needle and slipping them onto one needle, the 'free' yarn is in the middle.

Am I supposed to 'pick up' sts here? Argh!

Thanks for your help. :muah:

knitqueen
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
When it says 'knit to the end of the needle in use' what you're essentially doing is knitting the first 10 (or 11, depending which size you are making) stitches of the next round. Those 10 (or 11) plus the 10 (or 11) stitches that you slipped from the 3rd needle will form your heel and I'm guessing that your first heel row is a WS row??

So I think that when you slip the first 10 sts off the 3rd needle, the best thing to do would be to do that onto an empty needle, then with that needle, knit the first 10 sts from needle 1. You'll then have your heel stitches on one needle and the rest will be held until later.

miss eweniverse
09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks a lot, knitqueen (if there was a bowing smiley, I'd use it here)!

That makes more sense, but I figured they must have had a rhyme to their reason for putting the instructions in the order that they did.

Have a great day.

knitqueen
09-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Just noticed you're from Vancouver. I'm just across the water in Nanaimo. Hope you get the sock figured out, and glad I could help. By the way, there is a bowing smiley :notworthy: :teehee:

rebecca
09-25-2006, 06:30 PM
I just LOVE reading about those knitters who are losing their sock virginity...WTG :cheering:

Stitch
09-25-2006, 07:00 PM
I just LOVE reading about those knitters who are losing their sock virginity...WTG :cheering:

ROFL

miss eweniverse
09-25-2006, 11:16 PM
But will it still respect me in the morning? (or be a heel? *groan*)

Knitqueen, I'm in Nanaimo quite often- as I am part owner of a business that operates out of Campbell River. I'm mad about the LYS, Mad about Ewe. Lynette rocks!

Christina

knitqueen
09-26-2006, 12:56 AM
Mad About Ewe....I don't get to go there nearly as often as I'd like, cause I usually have a 3 and 4 year old in tow. Too much nice (expensive!) stuff for little hands to touch. :doh:

janelanespaintbrush
09-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Reeeeeeally? How knotty! Well, how about this? I just started my third pair after finishing my first last week. Yes, the third. And I'm doing them -- get this -- two at once -- from the toe up -- on one circ. Is that kinky or what? I guess that makes me extremely sockually active. I hope that's healthy! :aww:

Lighting57
09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
And I'm doing them -- get this -- two at once -- from the toe up -- on one circ.

Jane can you please send me a link or tell me how to get the directions for making these socks; the ones you do two at a time on circular needles? :??

Thank you.
Sandra from SC

janelanespaintbrush
09-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Sandra, I sort of followed this (http://www.webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedletoeup.htm) pattern, though I ended up using a different toe and heel. It does a good job of explaining the basic concept of how to do two at once, even if you don't use the pattern as written. (Those toes were just too pointy for me.) If you don't have a preferred method of doing socks already, I really like this (http://www.misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/1/30/turkish-cast-on-tutorial.html) cast on. I tried some others and found the turkish to be the easiest. Plus, she shows you how to cast on both socks at once, right there. :thumbsup: Good luck!

Lighting57
09-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Jane for the information. This looks so interesting. I have to try it. Please tell me what size weight yarn and size circular needles you use.