PDA

View Full Version : Sock Wars - Good and Bad

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
http://yarn-monkey.blogspot.com/

I signed up for this fiasco a couple months ago, and have been greatly anticipating the beginning of the "war".

But, my hopes have been dashed. My assassin has my address, and says she has finished my socks. But I have yet to HEAR from the Sock Wars person. I do not have the mailing address for my victim. I have sent her an email, but she does not reply.

Now, I hear that several others don't know the address of their victim either, and they have their socks ready to mail. How frustrating. :gah:

I have also heard that some people DID get their email dossier with instructions, the pattern, AND the address of their victim.

I have the pattern, which was posted on the website. I know the email address of my victim, because that was posted on the website as well. But, I don't know her address. :wall:

This is just NOT a fair fight. :grrr:

I think the "Sock Wars" should be cancelled, proclaiming Hurricane Gordon the winner. We could all keep our own socks this time, and start over with a NEW pattern and better management another time.

As for me, I am keeping the socks I started for myself. I have wound a two ounce ball of yarn to send to my assassin if she sends socks to me. Aside from that, I don't want to be a part of it anymore, because it's a joke.

rebecca
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
So very sorry to hear this, Sandy :oops: I was a skeered something like this might happen with the exchanging of socks...perhaps all will get straightened out very quickly...let's hope!

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Well, I wish them luck.

I envision lots of knitters all over the world, opening their windows, shaking their fist at the establishment, with yarn and needles being flung outside. :rofl:

Emeraldcutie
09-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Iam experiencing the same thing. I think its hard too when you work fulltime. I have mine done, Iam getting ready to mail them. But I also ran across some posts in the sock wars forum indicating that some people were with holding their address so that they can't get knocked out.
And besides the fact that if we are working with 748 other people, whats it take for someone to say they didn't get socks when they did.
I hate thinking the worse of people, but it does seem a little bit unfair.
I thought at first that we had to show a pic of the completed pair when we were done, not wait for the other person to admit they got them.
Iam not liking the way it is going.

Jenelle
09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
I agree with you sandy. I think sock wars should be cancelled. I was looking at the list of people who signed up, and I think they should have organised the list better.

What Yarnmonkey should have done was made sure everyone knew who their assasin was, and made sure everyone had mailing address's BEFORE starting the war. I didn't join because the lack of materials around my area. I'm glad I didn't too. :-x

aylaanne
09-25-2006, 09:27 PM
Just because people aren't giving up their addresses doesn't mean that they're more likely to win. I don't know, I think that what you're doing, Sandy, is in poor sportsmanship, punishing your assassin by not providing her with your unfinished knitting and just giving up. Then you get two pairs of socks and your assassin has to knit two pairs from scratch. It'd be one thing if you hadn't done any knitting, but you have. And yes, there are other poor sports in the war, but that doesn't excuse ANYONE.

Yarn Monkey hasn't emailed me, either. maybe because her power got knocked out by a hurricane. If someone in New Orleans last year had organized a tournament like this before Katrina, would we all be saying the same thing? In the spirit of good sportsmanship, I emailed my assassin with my address before she even started knitting. I found her blog and emailed her.

You can't control anyone else's behavior or participation, but you can decide that YOU won't be a poor sport about it.

And yes, it shoulda-coulda-woulda been organized better or differently, but nobody has ever attempted to single-handedly organize a swap of this magnitude before, so of course there are going to be glitches.

I'm disappointed in everyone who is behaving badly here.

Angelia
09-25-2006, 09:48 PM
It's not a "glitch" when someone deliberately does not provide a snail mail address when asked for it just so he/she can stay in the game. Whether this is the case with Sandy, I don't know. I do know that the deliberate withholding of information has happened to at least one person--the victim actually said she wouldn't provide it. She said the assassin would have to wait for YM to send the dossier! Geez! That's not a glitch; that's just cold.

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Well, I'm really not doing anything wrong. I didn't withhold my address. My assassin has mailed my socks already, so they will probably get here tomorrow or the next day. I will be sending her my yarn I was using, but she says she has already started knitting a pair for my victim with yarn she has at home. I don't know the address of my victim, so she's gonna have to figure that out for herself, I guess.

So, I don't feel guilty. I did everything I could on my end. I just quit knitting, because my assassin has already started making socks for my victim. It was pointless to continue.

I still haven't gotten an email from my victim or from Yarn Monkey.

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Oh, one more thing. My victim doesn't have a blog, or I would have been able to find her. All I know is her name (Carolyn L) and her email address. I couldn't figure anything else about her. I had to do all my sleuthing with the one entry on the blog.

And I frogged the sock, because it wasn't to gauge. I'm only getting one pair of socks out of it. And my assassin will be getting free yarn from me.

aylaanne
09-25-2006, 09:57 PM
It's not a "glitch" when someone deliberately does not provide a snail mail address when asked for it just so he/she can stay in the game. Whether this is the case with Sandy, I don't know. I do know that the deliberate withholding of information has happened to at least one person--the victim actually said she wouldn't provide it. She said the assassin would have to wait for YM to send the dossier! Geez! That's not a glitch; that's just cold.
The glitch is that YM wasn't able to send the dossier. The poor sportsmanship is the people refusing to provide their addresses. A better plan would have been to ask people to provide their addresses to their assassins, and perhaps this should have been done long before the tournament started, so we could work out who was in or out before we all got the pattern. However, all we can all do at this point is be the best sport possible.

Sandy, if your assassin has said that she's already started her own second pair, and doesn't want your knitting, then that's fine. I felt it would be bad sportsmanship to withold any knitting you'd done for your target from your assassin, thereby FORCING her/him to start a new pair of socks. And I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, I'm just getting really tired of all the poor sportsmanship I'm seeing on the other forum. :pout: :grrr: :!!!: :verysad:

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
My victim's poor sportsmanship is why I'm quitting. She has not provided her mailing address, and I've tried EVERYTHING. I left a message on the blog, I sent an email to my victim, I sent an email to Yarn Monkey.

I don't see what else I could have done.

Also, my assassin is a real bada$$.

Here is what she wrote in the Sock Wars Forum:
I would send a taunting email telling them to wait for the official email from yarn monkey. Then I get busy on knitting target number two's socks of doom! Target number one's socks are being mailed via priority mail with delivery confirmation on monday morning.

So, now she gets to experience MY life....not knowing the mailing address of my victim....which is now HER victim. She's getting what she deserves, I guess.

Julie
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
I was thinking about this on Saturday...and I really think she should have postponed. I know she probably didn't have time to think it through, adn thought it would be helpful to post the pattern first, when really, the addresses should have preceded the pattern. The dossiers could have been sent out days before the pattern, because without the pattern, they would have been useless. KWIM? But you kow, hindsight is 20/20. Yarnmonkey was/is in the midst of a natural disaster and I don't blame her for the snafu. :shrug:

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not blaming anyone either. I think it was just a bad situation because of the hurricane. But, nothing can be done about it now. The war is on....and I'm defeated before even firing a shot. :verysad:

Julie
09-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I was feeling very :verysad: on Saturday...then as I got nearer to the end of my socks of doom, I realized, "I don't like this pattern very much." And I was kind of relieved to know I wouldn't have to knit them again. :rofl:

Shandeh
09-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, the pattern was kind of depressing, wasn't it?

My assassin has already sent my socks to me Priority Mail, and she says they were made with COTTON yarn, and will probably be too tight.

Am I supposed to be happy about these socks? :??

Angelia
09-26-2006, 07:16 AM
I like the pattern... :oops: It's all squishy and feels so cozy!

Julie, I also don't think YM had a chance to think things through after the hurricane hit. I wouldn't have been thinking very clearly either! And I'm sure she wasn't anticipating that some people would be so uncooperative. Just from the tone of the post in which she listed the assassins and targets, she seemed to think we'd sort things out on our own since she couldn't. That didn't quite work out, unfortunately.

I got a taunting email from my target this morning--she's actually really sweet, so her 'taunts' are kind of funny. Anyway, she mailed her target's socks today. And my target will get my socks as soon as I can knit two that match. I've never had this kind of trouble with gauge before!

I have yet to hear from my assassin. I've only seen one post from her on the Sock Wars forum, and the content shows she has the pattern and is knitting. I emailed her my correct shoe size and my address, but I never received confirmation from her that she received that info. I guess she's using silence as her taunting tool! :rofl:

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry if you guys don't like my posts in here. I'm not a sore loser usually. I guess I just had myself all built up, thinking this was going to be a fun game. I just got unlucky this time. My assassin is a sour puss, and my link to my victim is broken. :pout:

Maybe my attitude has something to do with my recent injury to my left leg? (I've been in pain now for 4 days with that stupid thing!) :wall:

Hopefully, I'll be in a better mood when this clears up. Good thing I don't have any REAL physical impairments, or I'd be a pain ALL the time! :oops:

Forgive me, my friends. You know I'm usually much nicer than this. :crying:

I hope the rest of you have a better experience with the Sock Wars. I'm looking forward to reading all your happy posts and seeing all your pretty pictures. Maybe that will help me get in a better mood. :verysad:

Angelia
09-26-2006, 08:52 AM
:hug: :heart: :hug: I know you're going through a rough time, Sandy. And the fact that what seemed like so much fun has turned into a PITA for a lot of people is a real downer. I'm kinda blah about the whole thing, even though nothing has happened to me personally. I don't like seeing other people get shafted in what should be a fun game of sock knitting. I'd be upset, too, if my target ignored my repeated requests for an address.

Speaking of that, did you check the SW forum to see if perhaps her email was listed incorrectly? Several email addresses were wrong, and hers could be one of them. (You might also check the comments on YM's blog--the comments for the post with the addresses contain several corrections by participants.)

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I've gone through the forum. No such luck. I sent an email to HER victim to see if she had heard from her yet, and she replied right away to tell me that she had not heard from her. Oh well, at least I've tried!

mwedzi
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Sorry about your leg :hug:

I kinda suspected something like this would happen. Like I said on another forum, I like to think the best of people, but reality keeps interferring with all those beautiful thoughts. :pout:

maybe it would be better if people could do something like this locally. Better to start smaller anyhow, so that one gets practice organizing this sort of thing. People also tend to behave better in smaller groups where their bad behavior is more easily spotted. I'd like to participate in a small, local version of this, I think.

rebecca
09-26-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about some of these people being poor sports (I don't mean you, Sandy, but the people that we don't know) and not playing as they should. This is the reason that i didn't enter, I'm sorry to say, I have previously gotten a bit of the shaft in an anonymous exchange and, I'm sorry to say, I was afraid something similar might happen. Perhaps when the international sock wars ends we can do something similar on KH, that would be fun, and, let's face it, we are an honest group of people around here, what can I say...we ARE fabulous :grphug: !!!
Sandy, what happened to your leg?! I do so hope that you are pain free very quickly! It stinks to live in pain, this is for sure! And pain can alter your entire life, no doubt about it! I will certainly add you to my prayer list! I hope you are feeling better.

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank you all for your well wishes! :muah:

I hurt my leg last Friday when I tripped over an ill-placed cheap homemade "ramp" in front of the shop beside the laundromat. The emergency people came, and I ended up going to the hospital. No broken bones, but LOTS of bleeding and pain. I have a scrape from my left knee up to my hip. The wound is about 6 inches wide, and 15 inches long, and it hurts like CRAZY!

I've been on prescription pain medication, and I've been resting, and occasionally scrubbing it clean in the shower because of the tremendous itching. If I overdo it, I end up all dizzy and exhausted, so I'm trying to take things slow.

Enough about my ailment, though....

About Sock Wars, as it turns out, my victim has been out of town, and has decided to back out of the game. So, my assassin has a new victim - the former victim of MY victim. (Does that make sense to everyone else?) Bottom line, my assassin already has two kills. And now, she's working on her third, I guess. Or maybe she only has one kill - me. Maybe my original victim is just not participating at all. Who knows? :shrug:

I'm just glad I'm done with it.

Quiara
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Sorry to read about everyone else's negative experiences. Mine has been positive so far. I never got my dossier, but I e-mailed my victim and promised her chocolate with her socks in return for her addy. And when my assassin e-mailed me, I responded with mine. I guess I just felt like it'd be cheating not to. But both my assassin and my target are really sweet people and I'm glad I've played if for no other reason than I got to come in contact with some really nice people I might never have met otherwise.

gimmesanity
09-26-2006, 07:12 PM
OMGosh, Sandy...so sorry to hear about your accident. Ouch!
I hope your leg starts feeling better. Man, that's not even a good kind of injury since it requires you to be on pain meds. I happen to know that knitting while under the influence is NOT the smartest of moves. :oops:

:hug: Hope your leg starts feeling better soon!

cheesiesmom
09-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Falling and tearing/ripping/spraining something is my second occupation. (First, last August, a major hamstring injury, and two weeks ago major bruising and spraining to legs and feet.) Every time I fall, I hear my mother's voice saying, "Why are you so clumsy!!!??' I know what you're going through and hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure you're much younger than I, but as I get older I fear for the really big fall that will result in a permanent disability.

I was sad to hear about your unhappy experience with the Sock Wars; especially since I was kicking myself for not signing up. (A bad habit of mine, never quite good enough to participate.) But after many years, I've sort of learned that sometimes people's enthusiasm out-distances their ability to do. I'd probably feel the same way. Unfortunately, you're not-so-good experience makes me glad I tend to be reticent to 'get invovled.'

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Gladys of the very bruised feet!!

:hug:

mulene
09-26-2006, 08:49 PM
What I will say in YM's defense is this - we don't get hurricanes here. She is in Northern Ireland, a hurricane for us is a somewhat freak occurrence. We had one in London in 1987 - it took us quite some time to recover from that one. We don't have the infrastructure here to deal with extremes of weather. It rains here and you are guaranteed that your journey will take at least twice as long. I'm not talking heavy downpours either - just plain ole rain.

I agree that Sock Wars should have been postponed. I also don't think YM expected such a HUGE response. She had single handedly managed the KWC event previously and I'm guessing she decided to do this based on a news item that had been around over here recently. Urban Warfare is a 'game' being played out at the moment in London - you assassinate your victim by using a water pistol. The police were up in arms about it saying in the current terrorist climate it was an irresponsible thing to do. Most people just saw it as a bit of fun.

When I read about sock wars I thought it was a great alternative to that event in London. I think in principle the idea is very good - however when I think of Brenda and Mintdee and the amount of work and time and effort they put in to do a yarn swap here with a bunch of co-operative, warm, friendly and play fair people - I can't imagine how hard it has been for YM to organise this event. The hurricane was beyond her control and while I do agree she should have delayed - she did seem to think the mail had got through and it was too late when she got power back to pull the plug or delay I guess.

I can see that some people have not been very sportsmanlike about this, and I don't think that is YM's fault - I guess not everyone is as honest as KH'ers.

It is a real shame this hasn't worked out as well as it should have - it was such a good idea!

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 09:19 PM
It was a good idea, wasn't it? Mean old Hurricane Gordon ruined it for a lot of us. :pout:

I'm okay about it now, though. I'll enjoy reading about everyone else's experience, and I will be getting a pair of socks through it.

It could have been worse, I guess. :shrug:

mulene
09-26-2006, 09:20 PM
:hug: Carolina on the injury. I've also been over at the sock wars forum and "found" your assassin.. sheesh I know she says she was bluffing but phewie! I think I'd be very :wall: and :!!!: if I'd been in your shoes. Injured, in pain and dealing with someone whos bluffs were not coming across as 'just kidding' :hug: :hug:

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks, my friend! :muah:

Shandeh
09-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Falling and tearing/ripping/spraining something is my second occupation. (First, last August, a major hamstring injury, and two weeks ago major bruising and spraining to legs and feet.) Every time I fall, I hear my mother's voice saying, "Why are you so clumsy!!!??' I know what you're going through and hope you're feeling better soon. I'm sure you're much younger than I, but as I get older I fear for the really big fall that will result in a permanent disability.

Poor Gladys! You DO know how I feel! I'll be SO glad when this scrape heals, so my skin can loosen up and let me bend my leg without pain again!

beckyrhae
09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I knew I wouldnt do very well in the Sock Wars, but I thought it would be fun and it was. I have been assassinated already... found out Sunday morning. My assassin emailed me, asking for my snail mail and I responded quickly. I also informed her that I had NOT even started my socks yet. When I contacted her again to let her know I had mailed out my yarn Global Priority, she told me that she too had been assassinated.

I was sure the first few rounds were going to be quick... but once yarn has to start going from person to person it will be smoother and hopefully much more friendly.

Sandy, I'm sorry for your bad experience, but I would think YM needs some big KUDOS for attempting this alone. Had it not been for the hurricane, I believe this would have been much smoother.

Angelia
09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I don't blame YM at all. I'm anxious to see how she responds to what's been happening.

Julie
09-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah, poor YM...I'm sure she has about 847540 e-mails waiting for her, many of them irate :pout:

Angelia
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, poor YM...I'm sure she has about 847540 e-mails waiting for her, many of them irate :pout:

I know. :pout: As if she's not dealing with enough right now.

Shandeh
09-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Exactly. That's why I only sent one email to her, right after I discovered I never got my email. I also posted to the blog, in case there were others who had access to the blog account.

I experienced a hurricane once in my life, but it wasn't as bad as what she's dealing with. Our power was out for about 8 days.

Shandeh
09-27-2006, 07:47 PM
As my assassin promised, I received my socks today. She had said that they would be tight, but they are WAY LOOSE on me. Interesting... :thinking:

I am officially defeated...or should I say deFEETed.

Angelia
09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
deFEETed :rofl: :rofl:

The socks are cute!! Are they comfy?

I just got an email from my assassin. She has no clue who hers is, and now the email addresses have been moved from YM's blog.

Shandeh
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Well, they are comfy, but I will only be able to use them as house slippers. There's no way shoes could fit over them. They are big and baggy on my feet, and she made them with cotton yarn, so I doubt they will shrink at all when they are washed. They are a pretty color, but I would never choose this color for myself. :teehee:

brownishcoat
09-28-2006, 08:39 AM
I may be being overly critical, but that looks like worsted weight yarn to me. Didn't the rules specify sock yarn?

The stitch size looks very similar to the socks I made for my dad out of Caron Simply Soft.

cheesiesmom
09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
For anyone interested, the Yahoo Sock Knitters group has a sock swap. No competition, just an "I knit for you; you knit for me."

monzogary
09-28-2006, 09:02 AM
I may be being overly critical, but that looks like worsted weight yarn to me. Didn't the rules specify sock yarn?

The stitch size looks very similar to the socks I made for my dad out of Caron Simply Soft.

Nope, no sock yarn. The pattern specified DK weight. I know the socks I knit would not hold up to a lot of wear, as the gauge is just too loose for that. But they will make a lovely pair to wear around the house to keep the feet warm.

I guess I have been lucky so far, in that my assassin and my target have both been very nice. I'm sorry for anyone that's having problems.

brownishcoat
09-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Nope, no sock yarn. The pattern specified DK weight.

Ah, thanks for setting me straight. DK weight would be nearly impossible to tell from worsted in that photo. Got it! :thumbsup:

Shandeh
09-28-2006, 10:26 AM
I've been wearing them since yesterday afternoon, and I must say they are a bit uncomfortable. Maybe they would feel better if they were made with different yarn. This cotton yarn just feels so hard and scratchy on my feet. I hope they get softer in the wash.

boyforpele13
09-29-2006, 04:28 AM
sandy, did you fold the cuff over or did are they like that? mine don't look much like that at all.... :(

Shandeh
09-29-2006, 05:33 AM
I folded the cuff, because they wouldn't stay on the other way. They are so BIG AND BAGGY!

Angelia
09-29-2006, 07:37 AM
The gauge she required was too big for socks, IMHO. I would have preferred using size 3s, or even 2s, so that the sock would be more sturdy and would last longer. I could have used smaller needles and cast on more stitches, of course. :doh: I did end up using 4s, though, because the 5s were too honking big.

My poor assassin's DSL went out, so she had no way of getting my address (until she got my email once DSL was back again). She got assassinated before she could even cast on for my socks! She's really disappointed because she didn't even get to play. I feel really sorry for her. :pout:

Shandeh
09-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Poor Angelia's Assassin! :pout:

Tell her that she is not alone in her sadness. I didn't really get to play either. But, I think I'll survive. :teehee:

I'm on to charity knitting now, and it's COMPLETELY satisfying! :hug: