PDA

View Full Version : Wearing bulky yarn

candicane
09-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Is it possible to knit a sweater (thinking about a shrug) with a bulky yarn and not feel bulky? I don't want to look or feel like the Michelin Man. The yarn is a brushed alpaca, gauge is 8 st/4 inches on 9.0 mm (US 13). Is there a stitch pattern that looks best in a yarn like this?

Candice

janelanespaintbrush
09-28-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with alpaca garments, but I have read that it is warmer than wool, so you might want to consider that aspect of using it as well. I would imagine that chunky alpaca yarn would make a very warm shrug, maybe too warm depending on how you plan on wearing it. Just a thought... (I'm sure it would be very cute and very soft, though!)

CarmenIbanez
09-28-2006, 01:44 PM
I think it really depends on what your body type is. I made the Anthropogie style capelet with a chunky yarn and my hubby says its really cute, but I think I look like a linebacker. I just have big shoulders and upper arms. I think a shrug in bulky yarn is better than a sweater and I think the yarn you have is really nice for a shrug.

CateKnits
09-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I made the Topsecret sweater from Knitty in bulky yarn and I don't think I look TOO much like the Michelin Man. :shrug:
picture (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/download.php?id=6829)

Lieke
09-28-2006, 06:53 PM
I made this sweater with 9 mm needles.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Liekevangenesen/blauwetrui.jpg

Personally I don't think it makes me look like the Michelin Man (pleace correct me if I'm wrong so I won't wear it again :P)

brownishcoat
09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
That's beautiful, Lieke! You should ABSOLUTELY wear it A LOT!!!

:muah: :muah: :muah:

I love that color on you, too!

Lieke
09-29-2006, 01:42 AM
well thanks, it was just an example of me wearing bulky yarn, showing that it itsn't that bad.

candicane
09-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't think you guys look like the michelin man! I went through my sweaters last night and found that one of my favorite cardigans is bulky weight. It is also looking quite sad and over-worn, so I think I may order the yarn in the cream color and try to make something to replace it. It is knit with an open/lace-ish sort of pattern.

Candice