PDA

View Full Version : Fair Isle?

Braden
09-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Does anyone know of a good, nice-looking Fair Isle Pattern?

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
There are a million out there. What do you want to make?

Braden
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
I really want to make a sweater. In the round if there is one, but I'll do anything. Thanks for replying.

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
You might be able to find some patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com or the Drops (?) site, but there are two excellent books that I've used. One is Sweaters from Camp and the other isThe Art of Fair Isle Knitting. The Philosopher's Wool Company has nice patterns in Fair Isle Made Easy that uses thicker yarn than the others. The first two use Jamieson & Smith yarn--pretty much fingering weight, not super soft, but gorgeous colors and lots of them.

Schoolhouse Press carries the yarn.

The sweaters are all knit in the round, with steeks, and have the sleeves knit on. No seams. :happydance:

Holly
09-28-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm afraid of steeks!! :oo: (but I really want to learn to do color work!)

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Steeks sound SOOOOOOO much worse than they really are. Really, truly, and absolutely!!!!!

You could switch to back and forth knitting for the part of a sweater for the armholes, but after knitting on the front of the pattern all the way up, it would be difficult to switch to working back and forth.

Braden
09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
The steeks are cut, and then KNIT on? I thought they were sewn in. Ingrid, is the St. Moritz sweater easy for someone who has done lots of Fair Isle before, and made practice steeks?

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 03:59 PM
This is how steeks work. You're knitting the body of a sweater and get to the armholes. At that point, you bind off a few stitches at the armhole and cast on stitches above it--these extra stitches are the steek stitches, usually 8 or 10. As you knit around your sweater, you knit these, alternating the colors of the yarns you're using on that row so they get carried across.

What you end up with is this (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/up_to_neck_decrease.jpg).

You run two rows of machine stitching down the steeks to secure the stitches and then cut between them. (The 'old timers' didn't sew, but they were braver. Supposedly the wool used will not unravel so easily, but I feel more safe with the sewn rows.)

Then you do a three needle bind off at the shoulders. For the sleeves, you pick up stitches around the armhole and knit down.

I showed some of the steps here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4045&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=101)

Braden
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Dang, Ingrid. Those are better instructions than I've ever seen before. Can you also hand-stitch the steeks?

brownishcoat
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM
How about some crochet steeks?

http://www.exit109.com/~lsyoung/knitting/Crochet_Steeks/crochet_steeks.html

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
:aww: Thanks!

There is a way to crochet the steeks--I supposed you could also hand sew. My first attempt at Fair Isle was a sweater from the Green Mountain Spinnery book. It was pretty, but too small (that pesky gauge issue). I crocheted the steeks on that sweater, but it was worsted. I bought a sewing machine after that because I couldn't imagine trying to crochet all the stitches in the thinner yarn. It can be done, but just not by me. :teehee:

Braden
09-28-2006, 10:06 PM
What is your all time favorite Fair Isle Pattern ever? I made a Fair Isle Chart and knitted it into a raglan, and it turned out OK.

Ingrid
09-28-2006, 10:07 PM
The steeks are cut, and then KNIT on? I thought they were sewn in. Ingrid, is the St. Moritz sweater easy for someone who has done lots of Fair Isle before, and made practice steeks?

I forgot you'd mentioned the St. Moritz sweater. Norwegian patterns, have a different type of steek--only a stitch or two, I believe. My sewing skills are such that I made it with regular steeks--more room to make crooked stitch rows. :teehee:

Braden
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
Are what you're talking about Norwegian steeks? If so, I think that's what I have done. I think a moderator should make your tutorial a sticky thread. You are a great knitter.

Ingrid
09-29-2006, 08:05 AM
What is your all time favorite Fair Isle Pattern ever? I made a Fair Isle Chart and knitted it into a raglan, and it turned out OK.

They're all my favorite.