PDA

View Full Version : Need cape/capelet pattern for deaf interpreter

LoneStar
09-28-2006, 01:38 PM
My daughter, who lives in Arizona, is an interpreter for the deaf. Currently, she interprets both the early and late Sunday morning services at her church. In the winter, it is cold for the early service, so she would like a cape/capelet with slits for her arms that she can wear for the early service but remove for the late service. Anyone know of any such patterns that would also look more dressy for church?

janelanespaintbrush
09-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Here (http://www.glamarama.net/knitting/index.html) is a great looking vintage cape. (Scroll down a bit; it's the Bernat cape from 1956. You can download the PDF.) I don't know if it'll work, but I just love the look of it, and thought I would pass it on.

LoneStar
09-29-2006, 07:15 AM
:cheering: Thanks! This is what I had in mind, and this pattern just might work. To update it, I'd leave off the collar and knit it in a wonderful textured yarn/yarns. Any suggestions for the yarn? The pattern calls for a bulky weight and that might be too warm inside the sanctuary. What about Noro Silk Garden?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Winter temperatures in Tucson are only around 60 degrees Farenheit. Would a large, lacey shawl work, providing it could be fastened securely near the throat or on the shoulder, tartan style, with a pretty brooch? Here are the requirements:

1. She must be able to freely move her arms yet cover the upper part of her body so she is warm.
2. No bright colors, bright patterns/stripes, or fringe that would detract from her hands and face. A muted, tweedy type yarn in dark, neutral colors would work.
3. Something to fit her young (just turned 30) vivacious personality.

candicane
10-06-2006, 12:02 PM
What about the cardigan pattern that elann.com is showing with the baby cashemere yarn? It would be warm, but not bulky. And the yarn is soft, soft, soft. It is hard to tell exactly what the cardigan looks like, but I like the construction of no seaming!

Candice