PDA

View Full Version : Buying Yarn online

MAmaDawn
09-28-2006, 04:33 PM
I was wondering how you all buy yarn online. I don't want to get a yarn that's not soft. I am looking to make a vest for my fil for Christmas. The pattern is for supper bulky weight. How do you know?

SandraEllen
09-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I mostly look for yarn that i've heard about on this site. I trust you guys!

Julie
09-28-2006, 08:02 PM
A lot of times when I buy yarn online I've seen it before in a shop. I also pay attention to what others have to say about different yarns, and there are awesome, very detailed reviews at www.knittersreview.com . Of the gobs of yarn I've bought online, only once have I been unpleasantly surprised by a yarn -- but I knew it was risky (cotton/hemp blend) and spent very little on it. More often I'm pleasantly surprised. :D

kemp
09-29-2006, 09:47 AM
I'm with Julie...if you haven't seen/felt it in person before, read reviews about it and when you find one you think you'd like, post the name and brand here. You can always find at least one person that has used it before and get their opinion. Also be sure to check out return policies...that way if you get it and don't like it at least you can return it.

KristiMetz
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Also, depending on the company, if you read the descriptions carefully you will find some clues.

Of course they're not going to say "this yarn is scratchy as hell!"

But I look for phrases like "soft enough for next-to-the-skin wear" Or if they specifically say it's soft enough for items that will be born against the skin (like a hat), that helps too.

Most companies, from what I've seen so far, will not specifically say that it can be worn next to the skin if it's not pretty soft and non-itchy. But, YMMV since that's a very individual thing.

One time I bought some yarn and was disappointed at how scratchy it was. I thought from the vendor's description, it was supposed to be pretty soft. But I went and looked at the description again, and could see that they say it has some softness, but they really didn't say anything about it being super-soft, or OK for next to the skin, or anything like that.

So, those are some things I look for. Also, unless I trust the vendor and the description on something is pretty specific, I get advice online before I buy stuff.