PDA

View Full Version : newbie spinning question

Mienna
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I don't even know if this is an issue, or if it's how it's supposed to look... yes.. I'm that much of a newbie here. ;)

This (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3485/970/1600/HPIM1030.jpg) is the yarn here. If I am doing something wrong, could someone tell me how to fix it? I figured out it's much easier to use less fiber, the spindle spins muuuuch easier. Any more tips would be wonderful!

Julie
09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
You mean the little squiggly parts? That just happens when you overspin a bit -- I can't tell you exactly how to fix it, just that as you practice and your yarn gets more consistent, it will get better. At least that's what happened to me -- my first few attempts at yarn were horribly overspun, then something clicked I guess, because it doesn't happen any more. I think that as you spin more you learn how much twist you need to keep the fiber together without overdoing it. :shrug:

Keep going...and good luck!

Mienna
09-28-2006, 08:09 PM
That's kinda what I figured, I tried it once before and I think I was using too much fiber, and the spindle is alot heavier then I thought it would be. I'm enjoying it none the less, and my bf seems to be fascinated with watching me. :eyebrow:

yarnfreak
09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Practice, practice, practice. I just managed to spin two spindles full of fiber with no squiggles at all. It almost freaked me out! Now that I said it out loud, it won't happen again! LOL Really though, I wouldn't worry on it. All yarn is beautiful.

Mienna
09-29-2006, 09:38 PM
:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one, hehe. I think I was spinning it too quickly, so I tried giving it less hmph (technical term) and it seemed to get better, but not great. Not that I really care, I'm lovin' it anyway.

Silver
10-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Don't concentrate too much about NOT overspinning until you have a little experience in plying. When you ply two singles together, you twist them in the opposite direction that they were spun in, which naturally untwists them a little. SO... you if you intentionally try to spin your singles with less twist, you may find that there's not enough twist in them when you want to ply them. :doh:

Mienna
10-05-2006, 08:42 AM
ooh, I hadn't thought about that, hmmm. Thanks for the tip!