PDA

View Full Version : Am I normal to be sick of it now that it's done?

snowbear
09-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Daughter wanted king size afghan.. I've knitted 42 squares... then put them all together... now.. I only have to weave in one million ends.... then put a crochet edging on... cause i'm too tired to do anything else... Is it ok to become sick of a project & just want it over? I've never tackeled anything this huge.. it covers my king size bed.. it's over 6' x 7 '.... Don't get me wrong.. I'm glad I did it for her.. & I enjoy the knitting..but.. I feel a bit quilty for being sick of it.... I calculated about 2 hrs to weave in the ends tomorrow,, then who knows how long to do a simple single crochet edge around the whole thing... She'll be here Saturday.. so it will be finished... Next time I am going for a small.. small project.. like my grandson's coming home cap.... He's due end of January.

fluffypechey
09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Well first of all Congratulations!!

I too did a crochet kingsize blanket. I hated it near to the end. It used to sit and look at me daring me to tackle the ends!!

So dont feel bad about hating it. I loved it again when it was finished and looked so beautiful.

Your daughter will be thrilled also.
I think you are right about a small project next maybe an egg cosy? :teehee:

Hope you soon get it done and out of the way. It is the last hurdle the finishing off. Good Luck. Hopefully you will soon have it done. If it acts up just shout at it I find that helps too. Its probably too big to throw across the room :teehee:

:hug: Sharon

rebecca
09-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Congrats on such a huge undertaking! Pics, please! What a lucky daughter you have!
I would say, yeah, I think it's completely normal to be sick and tired of it by now! I think that you are going to LOVE seeing your daughter use it after it's out of your site for a little while :wink:

SabrinaJL
09-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Sounds perfectly normal to me. Right now I'm working on a 60"x80" afghan for my DH. I'm only on stripe 4 (of 15) and I've already had it with this blanket.

And last month when I was working on a scarf for my daughter I was so sick of it halfway through, I felt like I was going to be knitting that stupid thing until the end of time.

horve1
09-29-2006, 04:00 AM
Verrrrry norrrrmal! But I bet when the finishing's done, you'll love it again. And yes, pics please. We'd love to see it!

DianaM
09-29-2006, 04:15 AM
I know the pain all too well, hehe.

I made a blanket (crochet) for my bf last year and thinking about his height (6'4") and cozyness, I decided to make it......a bit oversized.
I sort of messed up the measurements and how many stitches I needed for it, so it ended up being a mammoth of a blanket.

I haven't really measured it: http://www.cafenox.net/graphos/main.php?g2_itemId=503 (he's standing in the loft of my previous apartment. It nearly touched the first floor).

By the time I was done with the seaming and weaving, I was sick of it. But I loved it to bits after I gave it to him, hehe.
The first thing he did was wrap himself in it "burrito" fashion. And a year later, it's the only "flat sheet" on his bed. :heart:

snowbear
09-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks so much for the words of advice. I am getting ready to go tackle the ends... I have about 24 hrs till Kids will be here and want to get the dang.. thing done. I now understand why people gripe about ends... never had this many before and hopefully never again. :roll: But I do look forward to her wrapping up in it w/ the granddaughter, and the grandson ...

I'll try to take pic... haven't tried on this site before...

Bear hugs to all...

mulene
09-29-2006, 07:55 AM
Congrats on finishing such a huge project! Frankly I'd be sick of it too :teehee: don't feel guilty but get the edging done and then kiss it goodbye =D

Ingrid
09-29-2006, 08:02 AM
That happens to me in the middle of most of my larger projects, and I've never knit a large blanket. Don't feel guilty--there are so many nice things to knit, it's natural to get tired of one that takes all your time and attention.

dustinac
09-29-2006, 08:31 AM
:happydance: Congrats on finishing it and hope we see pictures!!! yeah I would feel that way too and do with most large projects that take me awhile to finish.. I wanna move on to the next thing.. I'm not sure I"d get a king size done lol it would prolly end up in the finish when I can look at you again pile... :rofl:

stitchwitch
09-29-2006, 08:41 AM
I got sick of knitting my husband a ski hat. It was all knit two/purl two and it seemed to go on and on. After three inches I was sick of it entirely. I certainly can't fault you for tiring of something that large, I'd say it's probably normal and I'm sure I'd feel the same way. I have no patience for long timed things like that. :doh:

GennyLynn1962
09-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Congrats on finishing such a large piece. I am a long way from trying to tackle something like that.

I have done quilting and many of them ended up being "baby quilts" because I got soooo sick of them before I could get them done. :teehee:

One quilt I done with my mom when I was 12 had embrodered butterflies on each square, drove me nuts when we were making it, but now it is my favorite, and it has lasted all these years.

Denise in Michigan
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Tip for next big project--weaving in the ends periodically during the project makes final finishing less daunting. I've crocheted and knit many afghans in the last 32 years, and have learned this from experience! Invest 20 minutes from time to time during the project to weave in those pesky ends, and it will yield you a big dividend of pleasure! I even use this technique on smaller projects like hats, mittens, and socks, so that when I'm done knitting or crocheting and weave in that end bit of yarn, I'm done!

CarmenIbanez
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I feel sick of almost every project I do by the time I am done. So don't fret. After you are finished and a little time has passed, you will grow to appreciate what you have accomplished!

cozy
09-29-2006, 01:12 PM
I've gotten tired of baby blankets after I finished, so I understand where you're coming from! I often will do a very small project after finishing something big.

CarmenIbanez
09-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Tip for next big project--weaving in the ends periodically during the project makes final finishing less daunting. I've crocheted and knit many afghans in the last 32 years, and have learned this from experience! Invest 20 minutes from time to time during the project to weave in those pesky ends, and it will yield you a big dividend of pleasure! I even use this technique on smaller projects like hats, mittens, and socks, so that when I'm done knitting or crocheting and weave in that end bit of yarn, I'm done!

This is a terrific idea! I think I am going to start doing this every time.

VictoiseC
09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
ha, it sounds beautiful anyway! guess what... my unfinished afghan is still laying across the back of a chair and I started it in the spring of 2005!

have a good movie on the tv while weaving those ends in!

snowbear
09-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Ends are all woven in.. thank goodness for the latch hook...
I'm about 1/2 through w/ the edging... daughter gets here tomorrow evening.... whewwwwwww remind me never do this again....

Thanks for all the help & advice... You guys are the best!!!11