PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

mulene
09-29-2006, 07:54 AM
I have a colleague who for the last 3 days has shown up to work drunk. It isn't so much that hes drunk and annoying as hell as the stink of stale booze. The first day it was bad, day 2 was worse and today I can't stand it - he sits less than 2 feet away from me and he talks on the phone ALL day - I keep getting wafts of really strong stale booze smells.

Frankly you could get drunk on the fumes. Its making me feel physically sick. He is extremely difficult to deal with and being subtle isn't an option - he doesn't get the subtle approach.

If I go all out "FFS you STINK will you PLEASE do something about it" he will accuse me of making trouble on purpose.

I've just been told we won't be moving office till the end of February. I called my boss who is off sick and told him I have to move out of this room and that I won't be prepared to wait any longer. They have been telling us for three years that "we will be moving in 6 months just wait."

Half the staff downstairs have been made redundant and I can't believe they can't find me a space *somewhere* in this damn building.

So anyway, how would you tackle the drunk in the office?

PS I work for a trendy media company and it apparently is ok to be hungover / drunk at work. Personally I don't think it is acceptable.

Ingrid
09-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I would report it to his supervisor. If it's really ok with the supervisor that employees come to work drunk, then you need to go above HIS head. It's totally inappropriate and unacceptable. The man needs help, but obviously doesn't seem to think so yet.

mulene
09-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Hrm its hard - in a "normal" company that is what I would do...

I should have been more specific. There are 5 of us in this company - we are sister company to another company but not affilliated to them anymore although we share the same building we rent a room from them.

He and I are considered I guess to be on a par - in terms of seniority in the office. My boss of course is over all of us and is currently off sick (which is extremely rare).

The only one above my boss is the chairman and I wouldn't dare bring it up with the chairman as he is also chairman of the sister company and wayyyy too busy - his response will be let my boss deal with it.

I'm wondering how on earth I can go about telling him to clean himself up because its horrible to have to smell that without causing a huge issue =P

Sara
09-29-2006, 08:26 AM
How about the soft approach:

"I'm worried about you. You have come in to work obviously impaired x# of times. And you may not know that you smell strongly of alcohol. It's causing difficulties for the rest of us. Do you think you need to get some professional help?"

Since he's a drunk, he may not react well to anything you say, but at least you have tried to be gentle. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
How about bringing in a small electric fan? You can direct the stink back to its source. :teehee: It's non-confrontational, and even if he doesn't "get the message," it might actually alleviate the odor problem. If that doesn't work, why not sit at your boss' desk until he gets back? (How can he argue if it's available?) Then maybe he'll have more incentive to move you when he does return.

Ingrid
09-29-2006, 08:33 AM
And he'll be aware that you are aware.

nadja la claire
09-29-2006, 08:45 AM
How about the soft approach:

"I'm worried about you. You have come in to work obviously impaired x# of times. And you may not know that you smell strongly of alcohol. It's causing difficulties for the rest of us. Do you think you need to get some professional help?"

Since he's a drunk, he may not react well to anything you say, but at least you have tried to be gentle. :shrug:

I agree he may not take it well but if he's drinking before 7:00 AM then he's got a problem and he's killing himself. He may get angry but if nothing else it will make him aware of the fact that others are noticing and that it's only a matter of time before his job is on the line. Good Luck.

:hug:

Nadja xxx

stitchwitch
09-29-2006, 08:46 AM
See I guess I'm different, if someone has the guts to come to work drunk or reaking of alcohol I don't feel I need to protect their feelings. If it bothered me and he did it often I'd probably just blurt out a "Dude, you reak of booze, what time did you roll in last night?!" I'd probably keep saying it each time I was gassed by his fumes until either he moved somewhere else or quit boozing it before work. :roflhard:

Boogs
09-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Leave a can of deoderant and a bottle of mouthwash on his desk.

GennyLynn1962
09-29-2006, 09:01 AM
[quote="janelanespaintbrush"]How about bringing in a small electric fan? You can direct the stink back to its source. :teehee:

I love this idea :cheering:

I agree there is no reason to come to work drunk, or not recovered from the night before.

My husband delt with this at one job, the dude got promoted :??

This is rather rude but once in a grocery store the cashier evidently didn't like the way someone smelled and brought out a can of air freshener and started spraying it all around the register. :roflhard:

I hope things get better for you.

janelanespaintbrush
09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
This is rather rude but once in a grocery store the cashier evidently didn't like the way someone smelled and brought out a can of air freshener and started spraying it all around the register. :roflhard:

I actually thought of that too, but I decided a fan would be more subtle. :rofl:

hedgehog
09-29-2006, 09:59 AM
I'd take him aside and say, "Look mate, here's the deal. I don't care what you do when you're out in the evening - live it large, have a laugh, whatever. But really you should look and smell presentable here during the day - and you don't. It's very difficult for me to work next to you because of the smell and i'm no longer inclinded to sit by and take it anymore. You might not agree with how i feel about it but that is the way it is. And if you don't make the effort, i'm going to the boss with this. Ta."

-hh

mulene
09-29-2006, 10:24 AM
:hug: :muah: :roflhard:

I LOVE these suggestions! The fan idea is great - he has gone out to lunch now so I've moved my fan and stuck it on the corner of my desk facing in his direction hehe Wonder how long before he says "turn that off I'm cold!"

I think then I'll reply "dude.. the smell...."

I am pretty sure this is left over from last night. He is an ok person but when he drinks he can't have just one. I think he knows its a problem but he thinks he can handle it and its fine its not EVERY day (just 5 out of 7 =P)

I'm gonna take my laptop to my bosses desk this afternoon.

I actually decided to send him an email:

I want to try to be subtle about this and don't really want to bring it up in front of everyone but I do need to say something and I think its easier and quieter if I do it in an email... can you eat some mints or something? The smell of stale booze is extremely strong today and its making me feel a bit nauseous. I know the window is open and I've plugged in the smelly thing but its not doing much to cover the smell....
Sorry, but I did feel I needed to say something....

janelanespaintbrush
09-29-2006, 10:28 AM
Sounds like a plan! Let us know how everything works out. :thumbsup:

mulene
09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
sigh annnnd yes as expected the response states I'm oversensitive...

Please don't reply to this e-mail. I don't want this matter to go any further.

I accept your feelings and comments but would suggest respectfully that you are being oversensitive.

It is, however, very clear you are at the end of your rope with this shared office. I see your comments as a symptom of this. We work in entirely opposite ways. I want music and bustle and energy and you need quiet and calm. Our needs clash and there is often tension in the air because of it. It's not professional. I am now officially sick to death of this stinking little room.

If there is an office available in this building I suggest you take it asap.

If you cannot move then we must endure as best we can until March.

hedgehog
09-29-2006, 11:09 AM
what a crock. this has nothing to do with with "work styles" and who likes the radio and who likes quiet. idiot.

it's about him smelling like a common street drunk... and THAT'S what is really NOT PROFESSIONAL. Dur.

i'd tell him you're going to inform your boss and let her/him decide which is less professional - the 'air of tension' between you, or the 'air' of drunken stench around him.

-hh

stitchwitch
09-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Typical drunkards response, blame everyone but themselves. I'm sorry you have to endure this, I hope this idiot doesn't get into a car every day and drive. Hopefully, even though he says it's your problem maybe he will feel somewhat embarrassed and curb the stench a little.

mulene
09-29-2006, 12:16 PM
he doesn't drive - he cycles. :teehee:

It's ok - I've spoken to the office manager of the sister company, shes very sympathetic and has said she'll give me the keys to the room next door which is used as storage.

I told him that it had nothing to do with that stuff (I loved the "don't bother to reply to this" - IE this is the LAST word on it and I'm not interested in discussing it to resolve the issue), and that I'd take it up with the boss. Then the office manager offered me some space =D

Thank you ladies for your input - MUCH appreciated as always and big :hug: 's and :muah: to you all =D

stitchwitch
09-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Enjoy you newfound breath of fresh air!! Glad you got it resolved and even better, you're away from him! :cheering: