PDA

View Full Version : Tracey Ullman's new book

Darcy
09-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

I saw Tracey Ullman on some morning TV show and she has a knitting
book out. I will order it, it's not available yet via Amazon.

Anyway, she showed a pair of house slippers, not like house socks, or
slipper socks. These looked like the fuzzy slippers without the fuz.

Anyone know where there is a similiar pattern so I can't make a pair
while waiting for Tracey's book to come out?

Also I can not knit in the round (some evil person invented that)
and hopefully they can be done with normal, human, logical, straight
needles.

Thanks,

Julie
09-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Not sure abou tthe slippers...but Tracey's book *is* out...I saw it at Borders on Monday. It has some really great patterns in it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
09-30-2006, 01:14 AM
It's been out for a while! I bought it several weeks ago.

There is a similar pattern in Weekend Knitting, but I like the Tracy Ullman pattern better.

Darcy
09-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Is it knit in the round? I detest patterns that are 'easy' yet knit
in the round.

aineepooh1
09-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Yep, I saw it at barnes and noble just last week. It was full of patterns and knitting info.
tracy always had her take on things too!! i would be reading a while and then BAM I would be laughing at what tracy said!!

I MISS TRACY!!She is a funny gal!!!

Julie
09-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Darcy, I'm curious...why the intense dislike of knitting in the round? I think it's sooo much easier in most cases...I convert patterns whenever I can! Have you tried it? :D

rebecca
09-30-2006, 06:34 PM
I must get her book! I just saw the cutest apron pattern that she wrote! I am going to have to knit it, too cute, very kitschy! You can find the pattern on this page (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6159769), scroll down a bit, it's on the left.

Darcy
09-30-2006, 10:02 PM
That's why I don't like buying books. I will only like 1 pattern, the
slipper pattern and I suspect knowing my luck, that it is knit in
the round. I plan on practicing my dpn knitting tomorrow.
*heavy sigh* I do so wish I had a mentor in person to help me.

Ok, enough complaining (for now)

aineepooh1
10-01-2006, 01:50 PM
darcy
hey if you buy something and you realize you aren't going to use it anymore you can always go to buy/trade/swap here and someone undoubtedly will swap you something for it!!! :happydance:

Rennagayle
10-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Darcy, when I first began knitting a little over a year ago, I was terrified of dpn's. :oo: I spent hours searching for patterns that could be knit on only two needles.

Finally, I decided it wouldn't hurt to just practice. I had some cheap acrylic yarn on hand, and followed Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm) and attempted to make my first pair of socks. They didn't look fantastic when I finished, but hey, they were my first pair, and I had just succeeded in knitting in the round on double pointed needles! :happydance:

I think it removed the pressure to succeed (which also removed the fear) by using a cheap ball of yarn, and knowing up front that these wouldn't be a gift for anyone. I just thought of them as a swatch. I was truly amazed at how quickly I picked up the technique of knitting with dpn's, and I am not a fast learner. Being very much a visual learner, I was certain there was no way I'd ever learn to knit on dpn's without someone physically showing me, but Silver's tutorial really simplified it. Trust me, if I can learn it without an "in-person mentor", anyone can! :thumbsup: