PDA

View Full Version : OT - A little depressed and frustrated - Long rant

orcoastknitter
09-29-2006, 06:48 PM
I am a member of another board for Cairn Terriers. Many of you know that I am in the process of getting one. I have researched this breed for over the past year or so. I have met and visited with breeders. I feel I have a somewhat good knowledge of the breed. Well I got an e-mail from a new member asking about a particular breeder nearby. I checked my resources (other breeders) and they never heard of them. After reviewing their website, the first thing that I found strange had to do with their deposit, it's NONREFUNDABLE!! That's scary (in my opinion). They just don't seem to be a ethical breeder to me. I voiced my opinion and suggestions to this member. I suggested to talk to a few of the breeders on the board's referral list. Make arrangements to visit with a breeder and their dogs. This breed isn't for everyone. Well after I all the advice I gave them, they are getting a dog from this kennel. They said after talking to them on the phone, they seem "pretty nice." :? I was shocked! Pretty nice? They aren't selling you a box of cookies, they are selling you a living breathing animal, that will live under your care for at least 10-15 years! :!!!: While I was doing my research I have heard too many horror stories about people buying puppies on an impluse and then having trouble with them later on down the line. Here, I thought I was doing a good deed and informing them of this breed. Telling them about the things I did to learn more about the breed. Telling them about the great breeders I have met.

I know I shouldn't let this one get to me. It's their choice and they have to live with it.

Sorry for the long rant.. :verysad:
:pout:

09-29-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry you're upset, but you did do your best by giving them your advice from your own personal experiences. I know its frustrating when people don't listen especially when it comes to a living breathing animal. We tried doing the same thing when my brother got his dog. We told him what NOT to do and it just fell on deaf ears.

It's nice to know there is someone else out there that loves animals as much as I do. :heart:

Take comfort in knowing you are fully educated with this breed and that you'll be giving it a happy life.

Best wishes. :hug:

orcoastknitter
09-29-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm sorry you're upset, but you did do your best by giving them your advice from your own personal experiences. I know its frustrating when people don't listen especially when it comes to a living breathing animal. We tried doing the same thing when my brother got his dog. We told him what NOT to do and it just fell on deaf ears.

It's nice to know there is someone else out there that loves animals as much as I do. :heart:

Take comfort in knowing you are fully educated with this breed and that you'll be giving it a happy life.

Best wishes. :hug:

Thanks!

I know I did the right thing. I did the best I could. It was the first time somebody ever asked me for advice on purchasing a pure bred dog. When I went to visit with my breeder, it felt more like a job interview. But it was a great experience. I know that these puppies are her family and she wants them to go to good homes. I was in tears last night after talking to her that I was first in line for one of her females. I am sooo excited! I think she knew that I was on the brink of tears. My pup might be able to come home around Thanksgiving! I think I will name her Turkey! :teehee:

SandraEllen
09-29-2006, 08:37 PM
I think I will name her Turkey! :teehee:
That is the best name ever!!! :yay: