PDA

View Full Version : want to knit a simple shrug

vaknitter
10-01-2006, 02:59 PM
Okay - so I bought some Lana Grossa Pastello yarn on sale with the ideal of making a shrug .. the sales lady assured me 4 balls would be plenty. Is it true that I can knit a rectangle and just stitch back for the arms or should I follow a pattern? I would prefer long sleeves and at almost 6 ft that will take some yarn...Any suggestions for a new knitter?

nadja la claire
10-01-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm knitting my first shrug right now. The pattern is called Simple Shrug. You can get it at http://www.caron.com/projects/shadows/sss_shrug.html It's very easy you just knit up one sleeve and down the other. When you're done you just seam the sleeve and pick up stitches for the rib edging. You can also go to www.knittinpatterncentral.com they have a good selection.

Good luck and Happy knitting

Nadja xxx

vaknitter
10-01-2006, 03:35 PM
thank you, I actually love that shrug. Unfortunately, my 4 balls are 90m, and that pattern and many others take 3-4 150yd balls so I would not have enough.

mwedzi
10-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey, I like that shrug, too. I even like that yarn. Bookmarking the link. Thanks.

suzeeq
10-01-2006, 03:52 PM
You could still do it, just don't do the ribbing all the way around. Or use a large needle. You can indeed just knit a rectangle (or a shaped one with the beginning and end rows narrower than the back) and seam the edges part way for sleeves.

sue

CurlyBrunette
10-04-2006, 01:12 AM
You could still do it, just don't do the ribbing all the way around. Or use a large needle. You can indeed just knit a rectangle (or a shaped one with the beginning and end rows narrower than the back) and seam the edges part way for sleeves.

sue

I do the same thing with patterns when I realize something calls for 21 balls of yarn and I only have 17 (exaggerating a bit just to be funny and make a point at the same time-if that can actually be done with very little sleep!). I tinker with the style of the pattern a bit, shorten it or whatever I can do to save yarn.