View Full Version : home with her tail between her legs

VictoiseC
10-02-2006, 09:47 AM
:verysad:

NO NOT REALLY! (I'm not sad).

It was just the most amazing thing. Amazing. I sold

ZERO.

nada NOTHING rien

Girl after girl after woman came running over to my table to pick up the Watermelon hats and yell "look at that! how cute is that!" Then they would look at the price tag and walk away. No one even wanted to BARGAIN.

Ok. Maybe my prices were high. $45 for a watermelon hat but it was a lot of work. Turns out the Delhi Harvest Festival is for farmers. period. The usual city folk who are up here in the summer on weekends are not up here anymore.

I priced some scarves at $7 !!!! and they still wouldn't buy. The young girls esp went crazy over my stuff coz it's colorful and fun. One other vendor, a Finnish lady who had wonderful alpaca hats that were $40 and $60 said 'forget about it'. You cannot sell this stuff here. Another vendor who had beautiful jewelry said "I will never do this show again! It's horrible!"
The people wanted the outhouse birdhouses next to me that were mass produced. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE.

Thank god it started raining at 1:30 so I could go home!

A sweet little girl who was at the booth next to me and loved my stuff so much (hung around and looked at every single item and told me she wanted to knit this winter) I ended up calling her over and GIVING HER A SCARF. She helped me load up my truck. She was adorable and it made my day giving her that scarf. whew ok

:D Live and Learn.

Here's some pix so you can see what I was TRYING to sell.
Ha ha.

janelanespaintbrush
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. :pout: FWIW, I think your stuff looks great!

Ingrid
10-02-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry it didn't work out. Maybe when you're in the city you can find someone to sell your stuff on commission.

There is a teacher at work whose only comment on my knitting is that I should sell it. I keep telling her that it's not as easy as it sounds. I should offer to sell her a scarf for $50 and see how she reacts. Almost 2 skeins of Malabrigo + my time, at, what?, a dollar an hour?

jodstr2
10-02-2006, 10:23 AM
:pout: aw Victoise. sorry it didn't work out. :(

Old Knitter
10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
What a disappointment......

Stiney
10-02-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry you didn't sell anything! You should sell at shows in Bergen County fairs. Lots of $$ and people who don't know what to do with it. Also, I will come and say hello! I would buy something, but I'm po' and might just steal the pattern from you. ;)

I LOVE the watermelon hat! I went to one of those paint your own pottery places and made watermelon dessert plates and coffee mugs for my Mom two years in a row for Mother's Day. :)

cheesiesmom
10-02-2006, 01:05 PM
I personally think people go to these things thinking they are at swap meets. Your items are beautiful. Maybe you could sell them on consignment at a local shop. Or, we're getting into the Christmas Bazaar season. Maybe somewhere a little more upscale. (But I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sorry.)

VictoiseC
10-02-2006, 01:40 PM
aw Thanks everybody, so much. I'm not terribly disappointed, it was sort of surreal.... it dawned on me after about 2 hours that I might not sell one thing. just got that vibe. But it was a beautiful day...

Yeah Ingrid, exactly. Someone said you should get at least $10 an hour for your knitting. Funny thing is when I left the city (I said this earlier) the woman on the front step saw one hat and said she wants 2 hats, a few scarves AND some cellphone holders. We'll see what prices she has in mind!

I am going to look into doing shows in the city... and elsewhere besides good ol' Delhi. Lunch there is like $2.30. For a big lunch. :teehee:

Jan in CA
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
People in that situation are always looking for a bargain. Something they'd pay for in store won't fly at garage sales, tag sales, farmers markets, etc. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you though!

That was sweet of you to give a scarf to that young girl. We had a garage sale last weekend and although we made some money it was far less than we should have gotten due to the way people shop at these things. :wall: Anyway, I also gave away a few things to people who were nice and children who were being sweet. :heart:

rebecca
10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm so sorry. You had such lovely things for sale, too! Perhaps you will find a place in the city where people will (hopefully) understand the work that goes into knitting these items.

I'm afraid that I had to recently tell a family member 'no' when she asked if she could commission me to knit Christmas gifts for her. Hated to do it, but I just don't think most people really realize the work that we put into our artform.

dustinac
10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
:hug: I'm sorry the show didn't go as you planned...it is hard to sell hand made items that way or I always felt it was.. the people shopping don't usually understand how long it takes so they don't understand the price.. and then you have a few who shop the fairs just to get ideas for themselves... I started selling mine through a shop when I did primitive emboridery... but you have to fight for your price there too.. some get what it takes for you to make it but like me my frist time doing this I lowered my prices.. sold pillows for 6.00 went back to the shop to see how they were doing and she had 45.00 on my pillows and I got 6.00.. I wouldn't sell to her after that and found a shop that would take my prices or let me just sell them there for my price plus commission... I don't think I would sell my knitting though I still can't pick up emboridery floss just burned me out wasn't fun anymore.. knitting is what I do to relax :rofl:

I hope you have better luck next time :heart:

mwedzi
10-02-2006, 05:38 PM
:hug: sorry. your stuff is beautiful, and i love to death your alpaca scarf. it's gorgeous. better luck with another venue.

Mulderknitter
10-02-2006, 06:26 PM
I keep thinking about knitting items to sell, but seem to be running into the same situation everyone has stated here, the time and effort that goes into it just doesn't measure up to the cost that you would have to put on the item to sell it. So I've resigned myself to knitting gifts for people. Maybe after a while they will want to buy my stuff to give as gifts. I've only ever sold one thing and that was an extra large bag (sewn) to a neighbor. Sewing is nothing like knitting to me. Sewing is $5 of fabric and a few hours at most at the machine. Knitting is sitting for days on end for one scarf. Long story short--- I knit to give to people. If they dont' like it it was free! :rofl:

cookworm
10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I should offer to sell her a scarf for $50 and see how she reacts. Almost 2 skeins of Malabrigo + my time, at, what?, a dollar an hour?

Victoise, I'm really sorry about what happened, but your stuff is GORGEOUS!!!! Ingrid is right. When my mom was trying to sew for people (a.k.a., a designer without the big name!), it was the same thing. Make me whatever I want, to the exact specifications that I want, but I don't want to pay you for your time. These are the same people that would have no problem buying something off the rack that didn't fit right, but wanted a hand sewn garment to fit in every conceivable area! :grrr:

I don't know anything about selling needlework, crocheted or knitted, but after seeing what my mom went through with her sewing, I would say that if it's at all possible, find craft shows or places in areas that people seem to like to spare no limit on hand made items. These would be larger cities most likely, and people that don't want to look like everyone else, that might prefer a more "novelty" item than something you'd find in a department store. Most of the time, people in smaller areas just can't afford to pay for what your time and materials are worth. I absolutely LOVE :inlove: your alpaca scarf!!!

My husband has hinted that knitting might be a way to earn some extra income, but I don't think I would do it. First of all, I'm just not that experienced and I don't have enough confidence in my work yet, and secondly, I know that people don't always want to pay you what your time and talent is worth. But I would say that if you really want to sell your things, then don't give up--just try to find a larger market with a more diverse shopping crowd. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are places like Galena, Illinois or Shipshewana, Indiana that are pretty much open seasonally that have little shops where people come in to visit specifically to shop, where people are "in the mood" (so to speak) to spend money. If there is a place like this nearby you, you might have better luck at a place like that. Sorry I can't offer more help or advice, but for what it's worth, I really like your stuff!!!

Doublereeder2
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Your stuff is really beautiful! Were those people nuts? :noway: They should have clamoured to your display and fought over who would buy what!

That said, maybe there is a different show you can participate in. I would think there would be lots of shows in the Catskill area (headed up to Monticello next week!)

JudyD
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
All of your items are lovely, but that white scarf is particularly beautiful!

My DH bought a blue Aran sweater for me at a co-op 14 years ago for $80.00. (I just happened to mention the sweater was gorgeous and I could appreciate the amount of work that had gone into making it.) $80.00 divided by 14 years is $5.71/yr. I wear it all the time and it still looks like new so I know I'm going to keep it for a lot more years. The price may have been high originally but it turned out to be quite a bargain. Too bad non-knitters don't recognize a bargain when they see one. :shrug:

JudyD

Jeremy
10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Really nice things, you should be proud of your work. A friend of mine has a pied a terre at 88th and Broadway and took us to a flea market nearby. Your things would fit right in there and sell.

skNYC
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
I am sorry that the fair didn't work out for your sale. It was just the wrong market for your stuff. Maybe you can sell them right across the street from Bloomingdales or Tiffany or Sax?

CarmenIbanez
10-03-2006, 05:26 PM
You're right though, it is all about the venue. I can tell you right now that at the arts festival in my town, your items would have been snatched up, even at those prices!

Kaydee
10-04-2006, 02:00 PM
How frusterating :wall: that you couldn't sell anything. All of your things really beautiful!! People don't realize how much time and effort goes into hand knitting something (plus buying the yarn!) but it would be money well spent to have a unique piece that is going to last.

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Dun be discourage ...your stuff are gorgeous... it seemed that only knitters appreciate those work and time we put in... i had sell knit stuff and brand new hello kitty items too and worse... some said nasty things about the price i tag on them... they thought once they are in a flea market or rummage sale it had to be very cheap in price.... but they never think that they are hand-made..and all stuff is brand new...never been used....aiyah bottom line is you shld be proud of your work...someone will appreciate and buy your stuff....and i think your stuff are cool !!!!