PDA

View Full Version : Heeeeeeelp :)

John
10-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Ok now you lot must get a lot of this tyoe of messge but can you help.

I was in town today and then thought, I fancy a bit of knitting, I am going to make myself a scarf for the football.

So I went to get my wool and needles, a little book on how to do it and..... how exactly do you knit?

All the instructions I have seen have bamboozled me and the videos from this sight seem to zoom past the first bit of casting on. Any tips for info on how to do it.

:notworthy: I am hoping that once i get going I can get the hang of it but at the moment I just dont seem to be able to get off to a start.

Thanks for your help

Ingrid
10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
The ideal way is to get someone to show you. However, if the videos are too fast for you, try Googling 'knitting instruction.' There are many sites that have photos or graphics that demonstrate what to do, step by step.

First you need to master a cast on, then the knit stitch.

brendajos
10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
This (http://www.fiberartshop.com/knclbg.htm) is the one I learned from (beyond the class that i took) before i found this site. I think she does a fairly decent job of showing the basic stuff.

jhelanee
10-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Have you looked at the individual technique instructions, or just the small project video? If you only looked at the project, I suggest you take a look at the "Basic Techniques" tab. Start with a cast on (backward loop or knitting on are the simplest to start with), then progress to the "knitting" section. I remember these videos having good, slow, step-by-step instructions on how to make individual stitches. Good luck!

dustinac
10-02-2006, 02:38 PM
also when I started I couldn't keep up with Amy so would just watch them over and over.. then try it with my knitting needles and would stop the video and then play it again till I caught on... it can be frustrating in the beginning just hang in there..and if you do have a local yarn store I'd stop in and see if they would show you... :cheering: welcome to the forum!!

Chel
10-02-2006, 02:48 PM
John,
Welcome! :cheering: Glad to see you are ready, needles in hand and all. Casting on is pretty easy. I think the video Amy has up is the long tail cast on. There is an easier way, although the advantage of the long tail cast on is that you get a beautifully finished edge.

I admit though, there are people here who can explain technique much batter than I can. :)

janelanespaintbrush
10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I learned how to knit from Amy's videos. If haven't done so already, try following along with your yarn and needles in front of you as you watch them. If she gets ahead of you, pause until you catch up, and don't be afraid to backtrack whenever necessary to replay parts that you missed or are unsure of. This is the beauty of videos that you can't get from still pictures -- not only do you get movement (so you can see exactly which direction you have to go, which is not always the case with photos), but you can also replay to your heart's content. (And the computer won't get impatient or judge you. Promise!) If you're anything like me, you may have to do it again and again before it sinks in. Just keep at it. Before you know it, you'll be addicted! Good luck!

ETA: Ha! While I was typing my message, half a dozen people already responded. See what a support group you have already? We're rooting for you!

John
10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
thanks for the help, I am now at about step 0.1 out of 1000 as I am watching those videos. But i feel like I amI getting going a bit now, now to actually remember how to do the very first bit.

I will keep you all updated about my scarf :waving:

i am off to battle agains my memory and clumsy fingers

thanks again

I have loops on my needle! get in there :)[/u][/i][/b]