View Full Version : Question about spinning cotton

10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I had an impulse buy this morning and ordered a kit to spin some cotton (sure is easy to get addicted to this stuff...), would you say that spinning cotton is harder or easier to spin then wooly things?

10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
oooooh, I was wondering this myself.

10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
aye, that spindle looks so tiny compared to the one I have. I might hafta wear my glasses to it :p

10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Can't really say one fiber is more or less difficult. It's just different. People say cotton is difficult because it has short fibers. It needs *lots* of twist. Honestly, even though merino gave me a difficult time in the beginning...I've found the longer the fiber the more trouble I had drafting.

10-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Hmm, I seem to have a problem with adding too much twist, so that might work out perfect. :p

10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
the stories I've heard told about spinning cotton has intimidated me so I haven't tackled it yet - besides there are too many types of wool to try out and blend!

What I've heard from successful cotton spinners is to use a long draw method and spin with plenty of twist. I can't imagine using a long draw on such short fibers but that's what I've heard works the best.