PDA

View Full Version : Question about spinning cotton

Mienna
10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
I had an impulse buy this morning and ordered a kit to spin some cotton (sure is easy to get addicted to this stuff...), would you say that spinning cotton is harder or easier to spin then wooly things?

yarnfreak
10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
oooooh, I was wondering this myself.

Mienna
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
aye, that spindle looks so tiny compared to the one I have. I might hafta wear my glasses to it :p

Liliyarn
10-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Can't really say one fiber is more or less difficult. It's just different. People say cotton is difficult because it has short fibers. It needs *lots* of twist. Honestly, even though merino gave me a difficult time in the beginning...I've found the longer the fiber the more trouble I had drafting.

Mienna
10-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Hmm, I seem to have a problem with adding too much twist, so that might work out perfect. :p

mullerslanefarm
10-05-2006, 04:04 PM
the stories I've heard told about spinning cotton has intimidated me so I haven't tackled it yet - besides there are too many types of wool to try out and blend!

What I've heard from successful cotton spinners is to use a long draw method and spin with plenty of twist. I can't imagine using a long draw on such short fibers but that's what I've heard works the best.