PDA

View Full Version : dpn

jberry16
10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
For making socks what size dpn do you use the most? I was thinking of ordering #2 and #3 from KP, what is (are) your humble opinion(s)? I know it depends on what weight yarn is used, what's most common for socks, fingering or dk?

Stitch
10-02-2006, 10:42 PM
i am using 3's with fingering weight right now for my first pair of socks...i like how its turning out!

i think dk or worsted is just too thick for socks....

Mama Bear
10-02-2006, 11:56 PM
While it varies depending on the socks. The size of the needle also varies according to brand. For example, Addi Natura, Knitpicks, Pony Pearl and some Inox (but not all Inox) size 1's are 2.5mm.

Lantern moon, Inox and Clover size 1's are 2.25mm and their size 2's are 2.75mm, although some Inox size 2's are 3mm.

I would say that the 2.5 mm needles size is the one I use most often, and I know it's the one my daughter uses most often.

Mama Bear

rebecca
10-03-2006, 08:02 AM
2.5 mm is my fave size for socknitting, too. As Mama B pointed out, look at the metric size rather than the "size" of the dpns because of the different sizes of manufacturers.
Although worsted makes a heavy sock, it's really great for one's 1st venture into sockknitting, then you have a nice pair of slipper socks for cold weather :wink: