PDA

View Full Version : Nu type of circ - can u help?

Limey
10-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Knowing that Iím a knitting nut, a friend of mine on her travels to the Far East brought me back a new kind of circular needle that I thought you might want to look at.

Itís a metal cable Ė Hmm Ė first thought was: ĎItíll snag on the wool.í but it didnít and still hasnít. (Thereís a picture of a red/pink cardigan Iím knitting on this cable under ĎLimeyís circs picture Ö.í further down the General Knitting page).

Itís been amazingly flexible and I didnít have to steam it or give it the warm water treatment when I got it out the pack.

Iím not that familiar with circs Ė Iím usually a strictly, straights-under-the-arm knitter, but I was pretty impressed and it seems to compare well with the small Addi I have for toddlers hats.

I havenít come across a metal circ before and would love to know what you think. Iím wondering if thereís a chance I may be able to buy these cables but I donít know which would be the most popular sizes Ė diameter wise, maybe Ė but definitely not length.

If you could choose diameter and length, what would you like best? There are some close-ups of the circ below. Please let me know what you think and which sizes you would choose.

MANY THANKS

LIMEY

CarmenIbanez
10-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow, that is really interesting. I haven't seen those before.

yarnfreak
10-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I'd be afraid that the cable would give off a residue. Interesting idea, though.

Limey
10-04-2006, 03:52 AM
Hi

So THAT'S why I'm going green at the edges?

Thanks for the input and all best wishes to you and your hubby.

Limey :thumbsup:

rebecca
10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Those are quite interesting, thanks for sharing. I do like the look of the join, but, I, too would be afraid of a residue. But, I guess you will let us know about that as you knit :wink:
You know, far eastern knitters are masters! They create such beautiful knitwear! I wonder if this is the type needles that they normally use?! As for a good size and length, personally my fave knitting needles are sizes 6-8 and 24" length tip to tip needles.
Please keep us posted.

yarnfreak
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Hi

So THAT'S why I'm going green at the edges?

Thanks for the input and all best wishes to you and your hubby.

Limey :thumbsup:

Are you getting some green, then? Yeah, that would be from the cable. I'm not sure why metal does that, but there you go. Other than that, how are they working for you?

Limey
10-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Sorry - that was just a daft joke about going green at the edges but then you'd expect that from someone called Limey!

I'll try and find out a bit more about who uses these metal cables and how they get along with them.

Keep ya posted.

All the best.

Ellie

:thumbsup: