PDA

View Full Version : Quick scarf question

Tamar Dohel
10-04-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm want to knit my cousin a squares scarf using only the knit and purl stitch like this:

xxxxooooxxxxooooxxxx
xxxxooooxxxxooooxxxx
xxxxooooxxxxooooxxxx
ooooxxxxooooxxxxoooo
ooooxxxxooooxxxxoooo
ooooxxxxooooxxxxoooo

My question is: do I need a boarder?

Thanks

dustinac
10-04-2006, 09:02 AM
:?? without a border wouldn't the stockinette squares roll? I'm not sure I might not be understanding the pattern but I would prolly add a border just in case it wanted to roll... :oops: not much help am I :rofl:

Stiney
10-04-2006, 10:21 AM
That looks like basketweave to me (I'm assuming the x's are knits and the o's are purls, or vice versa). I'm doing a scarf in basketweave now, except it's 4x4 instead of your 4x3. It's curling a tiny bit in the corners, but nothing serious.

I don't think you'll need a border, but I'll let you know as my scarf progresses.

janelanespaintbrush
10-04-2006, 10:34 AM
In theory, since you're using the same number of knit and purl stitches that are fairly well interspersed (no large areas of stockinette), the knits and purls should offset each other and prevent any pull in either direction (much like ribbing). When in doubt, swatch. If there's any curl, you might be able to add garter stitch around the edges by knitting the first and last four to six stitches of each row. (You would also want to add a few rows of garter stitch at the beginning and ending of your scarf.) The only possible problem with that, especially since you're doing a long item with many rows, is the possibilty that your garter row gauge might be different enough from the stockinette gauge to cause your edges to be a little shorter than the body of your scarf (that might look puckery). Hopefully you won't have to worry about it since you won't have a problem with rolling in the first place.

Tamar Dohel
10-05-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks knitters!

I'm actually doing a sample pattern to see how it turns out. I've started with boarder: k2 at begging and end of every row and 2 rows after CO and now I'm doing it without but I have not got far enough to really see the difference.

Note: 1) I'm hopping to do 4x4
Note: 2) I would have attached a picture of my sample but by the time I manage that I can finish my sample and start on the real thing.

cawthraven, may be you could attach a picture of your scarf so far. I'd love to see it.

Tamar

Stiney
10-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Here you are, Tamar! I love the way it's coming out. The curling in the picture is because I can't get my circs to stay straight. There's a teensy bit in one of the corners, too, but nothing serious.

I'm using Lamb's Pride Bulky. It's kinda hairy, because it's 85% wool, 15% mohair. I keep getting the hairs all over me. It matches the hat I made earlier, which has a basketweave brim. (And the color of both matches my car!)

suzeeq
10-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Looks good!

Don't worry about the curling, it'll straighten out when you're done and they're off the needles. This isn't the same kind of curling people talk about for stockinette btw; they mean the edges and ends curl over. And some circs never do straigten out all the way.

sue

Tamar Dohel
10-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Thanks cawthraven! Your scarf is looking real good!

I was hopping to start on mine today but have not got the yarn yet.

Tamar