PDA

View Full Version : About Denise knitting needles set

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Are they really flexible and easy on the wrist ?? can someone who owned one tell me more...especially i got carpal tunnel....i love my options from KP but really want to give denise a shot....someone tell me more about their own set

thank you

janelanespaintbrush
10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
They're not as flexible as Options. The cords are quite a bit thicker, and since they are made of resin the yarn doesn't glide along the needles as smoothly. (If you think the Options are too slippery, this might be a plus.) I think I'd stick with Options if had carpal tunnel problems. Was there any particular reason you wanted to try Denises?

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 05:52 PM
They're not as flexible as Options. The cords are quite a bit thicker, and since they are made of resin the yarn doesn't glide along the needles as smoothly. (If you think the Options are too slippery, this might be a plus.) I think I'd stick with Options if had carpal tunnel problems. Was there any particular reason you wanted to try Denises?

cos' i like to try all needles...u won't believe the collections of needles i had ..and the yarn i got ...it made me a knitting freak... :roflhard: :roflhard: someone is trading her denise with my boye set...that is why i want more info... issit hard for the yarn to glide from the cord to the needle ????

rebecca
10-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Yarn glides from cord to needle nicely. I love my Denises, but the one thing I dislike is the fact that the yarn "sticks" and doesn't always glide smoothly on the fat cables! I was loving knitting the current top I am working on with my Denises until I got tired of pushing the yarn along on the cables...and no, i'm no longer a tight knitter, so my sts were not tight. I guess it's the fatness of the cable and the substance it made from that may cause this..or perhaps, the yarn I was using. But, other than that, I love my Denises...I also have Options and wouldn't dream of getting rid of my Denises, I do still knit with them!

hellokitty165
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Yarn glides from cord to needle nicely. I love my Denises, but the one thing I dislike is the fact that the yarn "sticks" and doesn't always glide smoothly on the fat cables! I was loving knitting the current top I am working on with my Denises until I got tired of pushing the yarn along on the cables...and no, i'm no longer a tight knitter, so my sts were not tight. I guess it's the fatness of the cable and the substance it made from that may cause this..or perhaps, the yarn I was using. But, other than that, I love my Denises...I also have Options and wouldn't dream of getting rid of my Denises, I do still knit with them!

i wonder rubbing some powder on it helps ??? i rubbed lavender powder on my balene II circular (plastic one) it smelled very calming and it glide better ....maybe that would help...

Jan in CA
10-04-2006, 06:46 PM

Yep, I agree. I also don't like that the hat size is 17 in rather than 16. Everyone's told me it's no big deal, but I find that that inch does make a difference combined with the stickiness. I don't have options yet, but want them bad!

rebecca
10-04-2006, 07:51 PM
I had not thought of using powder! What a great idea, thanks!

kemp
10-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't see how powder could hurt! I don't notice any problems with mine. :heart: :heart: :heart: them and they slide well for me. I am a pretty loose knitter though so maybe that makes a difference.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 11:07 AM
I don't see how powder could hurt! I don't notice any problems with mine. :heart: :heart: :heart: them and they slide well for me. I am a pretty loose knitter though so maybe that makes a difference.

Well, powder would not work for me because I have chonically sweaty hands so it would quickly turn into paste. :teehee: (yum!) So it wouldn't hurt, per se, but it'd get pretty messy!

I think how well the yarn slides has a lot to do with the yarn itself. I tried some cotton (for a dishtowel) on my Denises recently and it seemed like it didn't want to move along at all. But then I worked with some wool, and they were fine. Needless to say, I got some Options tips to work with the cotton. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, you know?

You know, at one point I was going to try treating a Denise cord with teflon spray to see if whether it got any more slippery, but I never did get around to it. If I ever do it, I will surely let you guys know.

hellokitty165
10-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Well, powder would not work for me because I have chonically sweaty hands so it would quickly turn into paste. :teehee: (yum!) So it wouldn't hurt, per se, but it'd get pretty messy!

I think how well the yarn slides has a lot to do with the yarn itself. I tried some cotton (for a dishtowel) on my Denises recently and it seemed like it didn't want to move along at all. But then I worked with some wool, and they were fine. Needless to say, I got some Options tips to work with the cotton. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, you know?

maybe u can try vaseline..apply it and wipe it off...maybe that would help....

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
maybe u can try vaseline..apply it and wipe it off...maybe that would help....

I think for yarns that I have a hard time with, I'll just buy Options tips, as needed. That's what I've been doing and so far it's working out well. One thing I definitely prefer them for is magic loop. I tried socks on both KP classics and Denise (the latter with bulkier yarn), and the KP circs were a lot easier to handle. The Denises gave me ladders. (Don't get me wrong, though. I still love 'em!)

brendajos
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
i love my Denises so much I have three sets. I use Addis for everything that Denise doesn't cover. I am bothered by the cord on anything smaller than a size 7 needle but not so much that it hinders me. i think the problem comes in that the cord is almost as thick as the needle at that point and it makes it harder to move. I may at some point decide to sell one of my sets for a set of Options but the spirit isn't moving me so far...lol.

JLC
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
I have carpal tunnel too, and I don't really notice any difference with my wrists using either the Options or the Denise. I'm knitting a backpack right now using a size 6 Denise needles. I like the Options better, but I needed a shorter cord, so I took out the Denise set. Seems ok so far. :happydance: