PDA

View Full Version : Dye Lot Question

orcoastknitter
10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I am just about finished with my afghan. I just have to do the border and then it's completed. :cheering:

I still have 6 skeins left. My Mom would like to have one done with the same yarn. I know I will need about 6 more to do a complete afghan.

And now to my question:

Since I have to order the yarn and the dye lot will be different from the first batch I ordered, should I just order all 12 skiens and keep the 6 for a different project? Since the afghan is knitted using two strands held together, should one strand come from the old batch and the other from the new batch? Would there be significant color change? :shrug:

The yarn that I used is Plymouth Encore Colorspun #7128, I believe.

Thanks for your help!

Ingrid
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I have tons of Encore, and have never noticed a difference in the dye lots.

Some other brands of yarns do have a problem, but with the color-changing qualities of the Colorspun, I don't think I'd worry about it, especially since you can use one of each.

snowbear
10-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I literaly finished an afghan last Friday, using Plymouth Encore. It was double stranded, and I had 2 different dye lots in parts of it. I challange you to find it. Did tell daughter & son in law of challange, they spent 30 minutes trying to find it.. almost got into an argument, and then gave up.. so.. in answer to your question... don't sweat it.. order what you need, plus an extra as always.. *that is how I've built my stash, lol I always have 1 extra skein*

kemp
10-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I don't think it would matter much, but I would probably hold one strand old lot/one strand new lot since it's double stranded anyway.