PDA

View Full Version : Punk duplicate stitch for longies

maman
10-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Okay, so I am knitting my toddler son some longies (wool pants, for those of you not in-the-know) and I want to spruce up the bum with some punk-ish duplicate stitch.

Any thoughts? Any patterns?

I actually don't know where to find duplicate stitch patterns online anyway, since I have been told that crosstitch won't work.

Jan in CA
10-05-2006, 03:12 PM
You'll have to enlighten me..what do you mean by punkish? :shrug:

maman
10-05-2006, 03:18 PM
I was leaving "punk-ish" open to interpretation!

Not a cute little animal or a sweet sailboat. Something boy but not standard run-of-the-mill "here's a truck for your son".

My creativity bled out after white skull and crossbones on black pants. But I'm sure there are many more options! Plus, I don't have a pattern for the skull&bones (except domiknitrix posted a large skull-only pattern for a sweater that I might be able to shrink and adjust).

What else...hmmm...perhaps a heart tattoo with Mommy in it? Or anything a little less mainstream. No sweet little ducks. But it could be skater, surfer, rock...

Also looking for recs on where to find duplicate stitch patterns. Online or offline.

janelanespaintbrush
10-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I vote for the Mommy tattoo idea! It's sweet, but not cutesy. Go for it! :cheering:

The only thing I can come up right now with is "danger toxic waste" or maybe a hazardous material symbol. The Mommy tattoo is better.

gardenmommy
10-05-2006, 03:41 PM
If youi find a picture or graphic you like, you can make your own chart using this program

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

With cross-stitch patterns, the stitches are meant to be "square" whereas in knitting the stitches are a bit taller than wide, or a bit more rectangular, so if you used a cross-stitch pattern as-is, on knitting it would look a bit squashed or shortened.

CarmenIbanez
10-05-2006, 03:47 PM
There are also some star wars symbols you can do, like the rebel alliance symbol or the Empire symbol, if you're into that kinda thing?

here (www.angelfire.com/space2/swcharts/) are some charts.

feministmama
10-05-2006, 05:51 PM
How bout the good ole anarachy symbol? (a big letter A in a circle)?

feministmama
10-05-2006, 05:53 PM
like this

jodstr2
10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
How bout the good ole anarachy symbol? (a big letter A in a circle)?

:happydance: :thumbsup: I like that, will look cute across his little butt.

maman
10-05-2006, 09:39 PM
hmmm...well, I love the Knitpro application, for when I find a graphic I like. Also, I found a pattern for flames up the arms of a man's sweater in the S&B Nation today, and I thought I could easily put those up his legs instead.

I am also digging on the Star Wars. Choices, choices, choices. He may just have a whoe alterno-wardrobe this winter!

gardenmommy
10-05-2006, 10:16 PM
http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATThottamale.html

Here is another flame chart. The yellow highlights are duplicate stitch. Wouldn't flames be so cute around the bottom of the legs of the longies?

maman
10-05-2006, 10:27 PM
oooh! I think those might be even better flames!!

Do y'all think it would be overkill to have flames up the legs AND a Mommy tattoo on the hiney? Those may just be two different pairs of longies.

Also, I was rethinking what I meant by punkish, and maybe rockabilly or macho would be better terms? You have been pretty much on the ball, though. I was also thinking pirates, maybe.

Hmmmm...

I am so in love with Kintpro!

Pixywhispers
10-07-2006, 11:00 AM
http://www.crankypantshome.com/longies.shtml

Has some cute ideas.