PDA

View Full Version : Help-- I'm a brand new knitter!

spacedogg
10-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey folks...

I just became a citizen of your world about three weeks ago. I bought a pair of size 8 needles and some cheap, red yarn from WalMart, and logged on to this website to learn to knit.

So far I've knitted one 6 and a half foot scarf. It's bright red and ugly as homemade sin, but I'm quite proud of it.

Now all I can think of is knitting! I've purchased a few more needles, some more yarn and find myself knitting away in all my spare time.

So far I've only managed to knit things that resemble scarves (they're more discernable as scarves the more I practices), but some day I'd like to knit something big, like an afghan.

My only problem: I don't understand how one would knit an afghan! The only thing I could imagine is using 6 foot long needles, but that doesn't seem practical. How the heck would I be able to cast enough stitches to get a respectable afghan-- and does anyone have any basic, basic, basic afghan projects I might try?

Forgive my naivete-- but I'm just get started and am really eager to learn!

knitqueen
10-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Many afghans are knitted in panels or blocks or other various shaped pieces, seamed together at the end.

Afghans knitted in one piece are possible too, and you don't need 6 foot long needles!! The best choice for afghans is circular needles. They can hold a TON of stitches, way more than straight needles ever could, and the way they are designed most of the weight of your project falls into your lap and does not need to be supported by your arms and wrists the same way that working on straight needles does. Knitting on circular needles doesn't necessarily mean that you're working in the round, either. They can be used to knit back and forth, just like straight needles. There are many of us here that use only circular needles for all things flat AND circular. They are the best of both worlds.

As far as afghan patterns, I've never made one so I don't know, but I'm sure others can give suggestions.

xxx

Jenelle
10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Welcome to KH! :waving:

orcoastknitter
10-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Welcome! :waving:

cookworm
10-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Hooray! Your first project!!! :cheering: Welcome to KH! I don't have any patterns for afghans...I have a project for one on the backburner when my project list gets trimmed down, but I wanted to congratulate you on your scarf--wear it with pride!!!--and to welcome you to the group!

Gina
10-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Here is a cute one for beginners:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60206A.html

:grphug:

Actually, there are more to choose from in the link below:

http://cache.lionbrand.com/content-knittingPatternIndex.html#home

Enjoy knitting!

losnana
10-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Welcome.

A K3, P1, K3 P1 all the way across on every row makes a nice easy baby blanket. If you just made it bigger, it would make a nice afghan, and an easy pattern to remember without going back to check. I sorta resembles a mini cable. Good luck.

cgd
10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Welcome to this board and to an obsession!

As for the afghan question, I usually crochet afghans because you have more flexibility in the size of it and because it goes faster than knitting.

If you get tired of scarves and want to try something else, there are many great dishcloth patterns. They make great gifts, and they're fun to do.

Old Knitter
10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree....you don't have to think about an afghan as your next project, unless you really want one. A smaller project might be better. If you knit a square in stockinette stitch and practice increasing and decreasing on it you could actually knit a simple sweater. we would be here to help....think about it.

Stiney
10-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Hello!

I was going to add to the afghan falling on your lap comment, "And it keeps you warm as you knit it!" and then I realized you're from the OC. :teehee:

nadja la claire
10-07-2006, 04:26 PM
:waving: Welcome!! If you'd like an easy lace pattern there's always feather and fan. It's easy and beautiful.

Nadja xxx

Denise in Michigan
10-07-2006, 09:01 PM
So far I've knitted one 6 and a half foot scarf. It's bright red and ugly as homemade sin, but I'm quite proud of it.

:roflhard: