PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody subscribe to Interweave Press?

Knitting-teacher
10-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I was looking for a Ballet Wrap Cardigan (http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/back_issues/W_05.asp) and found one in a back issue of Interweave Press. While looking at how to buy the back issue it lead me to looking at the subscription and thinking about subscribing.

My question is does anybody subscribe to their magazines? If so do you think the magazine worth the money and is the Subscriber-Only Content any good? :??

The question is very subjective, as everybody has different ideas of "worth it", but I would appreciate hearing other peoples thoughts. :shrug:
Thank you,
Christine

Ingrid
10-07-2006, 04:20 PM
For me, Interweave Knits is my favorite magazine. I also get Vogue and Creative Knitting. I like the IK patterns the best; I've yet to knit anything from Vogue. Creative Knitting has more of a variety of things to knit and a variety of skill levels.

suzeeq
10-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I like the projects in IK quite a lot, they're not as `out there' as VK, and a little more stylish than Creative knitting, though they've had a few I liked. I don't subscribe to any yet, but may have to as I live in the boonies now and there's no JoAnn's or Barnes and Noble and the local selection is thin. I'm leaning toward IK, but on the knittyboard there's been complaints about their subscription service, though that's mostly from Canadian and European people.

sue

Calamintha
10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Interweave Knits used to be my favorite knitting magazine but the magazine was sold last year to new owners. At least in my opinion, it is not as good as it was. There used to be more variety in the projects. I usually look through the various knitting magazines at the bookstore and if there is there is anything I am interested in, I buy it.

Vendie
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
I love Interweave Knits. I do subscribe to it and I look forward to each each issue. I've yet to knit anything from them, but that's only b/c my to-knit list is just way too long. The subscriber-only section is decent, but I wouldn't subscribe to the magazine just for that. It's a nice little bonus though.

feministmama
10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Me me me me me me! I subscribe and I luuuurve it. They always have this one model, young white girl, readhead with freckles in every issue. I like that there is always something I *can* knit if I want to and something I can aspire to knit (meaning it is so freaken hard but it will be a challenge to look forward to) in every issue. I don't always like everything in there but I like that there is so much variety. I love getting my copy in the mail and I read it cover to cover and I savor them. The web content is *worth* it to me as I get even more free stuff.

Ingrid
10-07-2006, 08:19 PM
One thing I love about it, totally unrelated to knitting, is that they have a young woman with Down Syndrome as a model. It always makes me feel good.

Lyndalm
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I just subscribed, and have received my first issue. I am currently making the Streaker shrug in one of the earlier mags. I always buy it at the grocery store, so I figured, why not subscribe? It is one of my faves. They also are quick to post errors on their website.

Lynda M

NinaT
10-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I LOVE IK!! I look forward to every issue. I, too, think the red head is a cutie. The magazine I've been considering subscribing to is Knitter's. They are always sold out when I get to my LYS and they never have it at the grocery store or Border's.

Knitting-teacher
10-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Thank you for all the input especially Sue. I went to the knitty board and found the discussion. :grrr: It seems that if you don't live in the USA your magazine can take 2 months or more to get to you and some people have had terrible customer service to the point of no magazine at all.

So although it does sound the sort of magazine I would like, as I live in Spain, which does not have the best track record postal service, I am not going to subscribe. :fingerwag:

Christine

jamiejeans
10-08-2006, 08:55 AM
One thing I love about it, totally unrelated to knitting, is that they have a young woman with Down Syndrome as a model. It always makes me feel good.

I've noticed that, too, but somewhere in a recent issue (I think Summer 06) there was some fine print about her being the family member of one of the magazine staffers. So it doesn't seem like they purposely sought this girl to model. But still, it's still nice to see that they look outside the typical model.