PDA

View Full Version : Shoulda, woulda, coulda

frostywolf
10-07-2006, 11:55 PM
So, knitting newbie here. Been at it for a couple of weeks just on my breaks at work and maybe one night a week at home. First WIP is a scarf w/lion brand homespun. (I was hoping that texture would hide any mistakes). It's about three and a half feet right now, but since I am just doing it in garter stitch, I got a bit bored. It is serving it's purpose, though. I was having tension issues and thought a single stitch scarf would be good to practice with.

Anyway, since that scarf is looking pretty good, I decided I would make two of my nieces scarves for Christmas. I went to my LYS and got some 1/2 wool, 1/2 nylon yarn (washable was a must for them). Different colorway for each. I tried a swatch of that scrunchable scarf pattern and it looked good with the yarn so I started Hannah's scarf. Yesterday at work, I was knitting away on break, and realized I picked up a stich. Now, I bookmarked a couple vids/articles on how to recognize, fix these things. Figured I could get it myself from memory. I saw where the extra was, but I couldn't figure out how I picked up an extra. Figured I'd just back up one row and continue. Oops. Couldn't remember how to put the needle back through without twisting stitches. Needless to say, I lost about 2 1/2-3 inches on the scarf (it was only about 5 inches before, I'd just started it). Grrrr. I'm still pretty slow, because I tend to split the yarn a bit and I'm trying to make sure I don't do that. I'm not giving up, though!

Finally, I already have a list of things to do, and yarn for each. I ordered some Noro because after my nieces scarves, I'm going to try the Booga Bag. Need to finish the boring garter stitch scarf. And ... while at the LYS, I noticed they had this Malabrigo yarn y'all talk so much about. So, of course, I got some!!!! I'm not touching it until the other projects are done so they are my practice for the good stuff. But it still looks and feels mighty good.

IndianPrincessSIP
10-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Welcome to our addiction. :teehee:

aineepooh1
10-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Hang in there!! :wall: :wall:
It will get easier and easier with practice.. I am a newbie knitter too
approx~ 3mos... but it does get easier the more you do it!!
I knit during my lunch breaks at work too..
I have had people from other departments come and ask my what I was CROCHETING and I (naturally) had to correct their missaumption.. !!
You are doing great..
I have done 3 scarves now..
I finished my first hat last night!! which included my very ever first attempt at seaming and it was bumpy and UGLY!! but the hat does fit!!
I keep telling myself (and others)that my kniting is like learning to play a new muscial instrument..
NOONE makes all the right notes at first and sometimes it can get to sounding pretty awful but.... PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT AND WE ARE GOING TO SUCCEED AT THIS!!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

fluffypechey
10-08-2006, 06:51 AM
:cheering: Another knitter :cheering:

Dont give up. It will become easier. Do you have anyone you know that knits? Sometimes its easier if someone shows you rather than watching videos or looking at a book.

I have knitted for several years but had a huge break and now I am learning so many new things here. Also am learning how to do things 'properly' instead of the way I have been doing them :oops:

Welcome to the group.

:hug: Sharon

Yarnlady
10-08-2006, 07:46 AM
Couldn't remember how to put the needle back through without twisting stitches. Next time, don't worry about it. The stitches can be fixed as you knit them. IMO, it's more important to get them all back on the needle rather than stressing on whether or not they are twisted! :frog:

Ingrid
10-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Couldn't remember how to put the needle back through without twisting stitches. Next time, don't worry about it. The stitches can be fixed as you knit them. IMO, it's more important to get them all back on the needle rather than stressing on whether or not they are twisted! :frog:

I agree. Once they're on the needles, you can untwist them as necessary. As for an extra stitch. Sometimes it can be as simple as just knitting two together--not simple in the middle of a field of stockinette, but easy to get away with on a scrunchable.

Krystal
10-08-2006, 08:58 PM
I had the exact problem with the first scarf I knitted... Only I didn't notice right away... and I eneded up somehow with 5 extra stitches in one spot than I had started with. Then I ened up dropping stitches... By the end of the scarf I had figured it out and even found a way to make the other end symmetrical with the rest of the scarf. I totally understand what you mean about the boring scarf, I cut a few scarves short just because I got bored... Currently I am dragging my heels finishing my DBF's scarf because he wants it reaaally wide and reaalllly long... boring.

hellokitty165
10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Welcome to our addiction. :teehee:

Hi,

How are u doing ...what are u knitting lately ???

IndianPrincessSIP
10-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Hello HelloKitty~
(echo intended) I am learning daily in this walk we call 'life'.
Like the OP of this thread, I am deeply immersed in the knit, and happy to be so.
Although life and all of it's vissisatudes, the call to pay attention to details unassociated with what my heart would rather tend. Knit.
I've several projects posted here. And many more on needles, clicking their way towards fini. smile
Thank you for asking of my wellbeing, and I send salutations to you and yours.
Visit if you would my blog for a recap of current knit events, if you would like. http://staringatneedleends.blogspot.com/
Apologies for this interlude to Frosty Wolf.

Do carry on.

Judythrose
10-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi, I am a beginner...finally, in my 50's decided it was now or never for this craft that I have always wanted to learn. I am thrilled with how much I am enjoying it. I really feel quite excited and childlike, as if a whole new world has opened up to me...I am working my first project, the ubiquitous beginner's scarf, but even that excites me, as my stitches get more even and the knitting starts to flow a bit more. I really like the videos on this site, and your projects give me such hope and inspiraton. Thank you thank you thank you!
I have found the Zen of Knitting....
Judy in Newport, RI

fluffypechey
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
Hello Judy :waving:

It is a very wonderful hobby knitting. It really excites me especially the wool shops :roflhard:

So nice to see you finally took the plunge and are having so much fun.

Welcome to this board. I havnt been here very long and everyone is so friendly and know so much. Everyone is so helpful. Even if like me you sometimes ask what seems a silly question. I dont think there are any silly questions when you are learning or trying to improve.

:muah: Sharon

ebrperk
10-09-2006, 01:12 PM
How great that you are learning to knit. I have been at it for about 2 3/4 years and I am still making mistakes that I have to fix all the time. Just remember it is supposed to be fun and dont get too worried if it isn't perfect it adds to the hand made knitted item attraction.

Judythrose
10-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Many thanks for your very warm welcome to this board...It is especially good to hear from you folks that one shouldnt' worry too much about mistakes in the beginning, because I sure keep making them!
Okay, I have a question, I am not a crafter at all, so please tell me, what is "felting" and do knitters do it, or is it another craft entirely?
I am sure this is only the first of many basic questons from me ...
Thanks again!
Judy in Newport, RI

Judythrose
10-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Whoops! Sorry guys, I realized I am not sharing a project here, and should have asked this question on another forum. Apologies!

Judy in Newport, RI