PDA

View Full Version : Knitting machines

Dahlia
10-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Hello,

I will be getting a knitting machine very soon and would like to get information and reviews on knitting machines. Can anyone help me? :??

knit-errant
10-08-2006, 11:34 AM
My husband got me an Ultimate Sweater machine for Christmas last year. It defaults to making things with stockinette stitch, and you can easily enough make stitch patterns with a knit- and purl-side: cables, entrelac, a number of laces. For garter stitch and ribbing you have to drop stitches and use a crochet hook or a latch tool to latch them back up in the pattern you want.

It holds up to 100 stitches without an extender kit; I've used it to make scarves and a very simple sweater.

It's got a bit of a learning curve; for a while, I dropped tons of stitches. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's entirely possible to pop out a double sided, 6 foot scarf in about two hours.

I enjoy it for things with simple stitch patterns and simple stitches. I think it's a pretty decent first knitting machine, though now I think I would like something a little fancier. :)

Dahlia
10-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for sharing...

I would like to get a fancier one...

Looking at artisan... seems like they make a "starter machine" for several hundred dollars. It looks pretty awesome and does circular knitting! :happydance: On the down side, it doesn't appear that there are many user reviews on it, so I don't know if it's for me. :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 02:36 AM
This (http://theknittingfiend.com/forum/index.php#2) forum has a section on machine knitting. It doesn't look very active, but I thought I'd give you the link anyway. Maybe you can ask about where to find reviews.

brownishcoat
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I have a Brother knitting machine from the late '50s/early '60s. It has a ribbing attachment and can knit ribbing and in the round. It can also do U-shaped knitting and has a pattern center for pattern stitches.

It also has a double slot in the carriage so that you can do Fair Isle. You can only do stockinette in the round, though.

I'd have more completed projects from it if I had more knitting time. :teehee:

CarmenIbanez
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I really love my knitting machine. But now that I am a better hand knitter, I don't use it much. It is great when you have something large you want to work on more quickly, like bed spreads done in panels and what not. But I am into the more complicated stitch patterns now and I can't afford the kind of machine that can do them. :teehee: