PDA

View Full Version : OT: YUK!!!!! A TICK ON MY CAT EWWWWWWW

VictoiseC
10-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh yuk, I'm still feeling sick ew yuk yuk yuk.

We just removed this tick from my Toisie cat's neck. oh god
We didn't know what it was til I looked it up online... didn't look like a tick but then I read about the white part being bloated blood thingy
oh yuk yuk yuk!

And you're not supposed to burn them off like my dh thought.

I hope we don't all get sick. ew

(my brother in law got Lyme disease this past summer from a tick)

Mo0nAngel
10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
well i don't have a cat but my puppy which I thought would never get ticks has them :( ...I never burn them off, I just remove them with something and then smash them...we've given him baths and shots to kill the ticks, but they always manage to come back..

Ingrid
10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
I think I'm the only one in my immediate family that hasn't gotten Lyme's. :shrug: The big ticks you find on cats are usually not deer ticks. You can't get sick from them, though the appearance and thought of them can make you feel sick. :ick: You have to be bitten by an infected tick.

My former cat, who lived outdoors all summer by her choice used to get big fat ticks on her head where she couldn't reach. The were gross! *shudder I did manage to get to the point where I could just tear them out, but it always gave me the willies.

fluffypechey
10-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Ticks are horrible. You have to be very very careful when you pull them out. If a bit breaks off it can cause an infection.
I know its horrible but check when you have pulled it that you have the whole beast.

You can buy in inexpensive tool that will remove them properly and it saves you trying to pull out a bug with your fingers. It insures you get the whole bug!
I have so much experiance with ticks unfortunately. The little kittens and cats I used to foster were usually covered in them. The tool helps honest.

:muah: Sharon

Pink Dandelion
10-08-2006, 11:37 AM
:ick: Just thinking about them gives me the willies!!! When I had a dog he only ever got one tick we knew of, he wasn't very prone to them because of his thick coat (3/4 Siberian Husky, 1/4 Malamute - think supersized husky) The one time was when he had just come inside and he dropped a bloated tick on our dinning room floor. All purpley-red and about the size of a dime. :out:

nasty. nasty. nasty. *shudder*

I saw a little red tick on the outside of our window once too and kinda freaked :oops: even though it was OUTSIDE. I don't generally mind bugs, even spiders I can handle most the time, but ticks, I just can't stand the things

We have deer ticks around here too, though I've never seen them myself. I try not to think about it too much... but then again you I to remember to check my legs after tromping through the woods or tall grass :oo:

VictoiseC
10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Oh thanks for replying, it helps to hear about other stories and I'm not the only one who's so grossed out! I couldn't remove the _______ thing
my husband is so brave thank god.

The right way I read is to use tweezers. Since she's never had them before I don't think I'll buy that tool but it is good advice.

They say to pull straight up, don't twist, wear gloves and it's not the little bit that might remain behind (their head) it's the SALIVA that's dangerous.
Also, unbelievably so, a tick won't even drown if you put it in water! They say to put it in a bowl of alcohol for 10 minutes. But we flushed it down the toilet. (hope it doesn't swim back up ha ha)

gross things yeah, I love a spider compared to these.

Thanks Ingrid for the info on the difference in deer ticks....

Ingrid
10-08-2006, 12:08 PM
:ick: Just thinking
I saw a little red tick on the outside of our window once too and kinda freaked :oops:

The little red ones are spider mites. No harm to us. I don't think. They give me the creeps, too, though, because sometimes they're in huge numbers.

fluffypechey
10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
One of my cats used to come in with his ears and head totally covered from time to time in what we call bunny ticks. They are so tiny and so hard to get out.
I would spray the ends of his ears and wait for them to die and then get them.
Whenever he had been 'infested' he would come indoors his little white ears black at the tips and look at me as if to say "sorry mum its happened again" bless his heart.

:hug: Sharon

Limey
10-08-2006, 01:54 PM
I used to live in South Africa, where ticks of all kinds could get rampant.

We would regularly take a trip with our two dogs to the vets at the start of summer and one weekend the vet told me that every dog he'd seen during the previous two days in his surgery had Biliary (tick bite fever).

The vet's advice was NOT TO TAKE THEM OFF - if you do, the jaws remain, still embedded on your pet - and they can set up an infection.

He told us to get bog standard Petroleum Jelly, use plastic (disposable) gloves and apply the jelly which will suffocate the tick.

After that, just leave it - the tick will die and drop off.

Hope this helps.

Limey

aylaanne
10-08-2006, 03:43 PM
My mom sprays her german shephard with tea tree oil once a week to repel the ticks. So far, it works pretty well. Leah only seems to get ticks once in a great while.

My sister got Lyme disease, she had a huge rash on her butt from where she got bitten. Luckily, she caught it in the rash stage and so she was able to fight it with the antibiotics.

Stiney
10-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Okay, I'm a summer camp-survivor. I've had...let me see...at least 4 ticks as a camp counselor, and 1 when I was little. All deer ticks, the little black ones. I never got Lyme's disease, thankfully, but three other counselors all had to go on antibiotics one summer because they got Bull's Eye rashes. (That doesn't mean you WILL get Lyme's disease, it just means you might.) They also trained us in first aid courses on what to do.

--If you find a tick, take it off with tweezers in a brightly lit area. Pull it straight out so that the mouth doesn't break off and stay in the bite--the saliva can continue to infect you after the tick is dead. Try and put the tick in a jar and bring it to a doctor for testing.

--It takes 24 hours to infect you, so if you're in an area where you might get ticks (grassy areas are especially dangerous), check after you get home. Have someone help you look. They like warm, dark places, like armpits, elbows, groin, etc.

--They climb around for a while before they bite you. SHOWER or jump in a pool/lake. This will wash the ticks off of you. If they have already bitten you, they will let go when submerged--they can't breathe and suck if they're in water.

--Watch the bite area for the "Bull's Eye rash." This will be a big red area that looks like a red bruise that surrounds the bite area. This is a sign that you might have Lyme's disease and should seek medical attention.

But all this only relates to deer ticks. I know nothing about dog ticks; our dog never got them, and I've never gotten them either.

If your tick looks anything like, this, however, you have another problem entirely:

http://imagiware.com/puzzle/images/tick.gif

psammeadred
10-08-2006, 04:24 PM
My grandmother has about 18 acres, and we kids would play out there and never worry about ticks because she had a flock of guineas that ate them up.

Outside my house, however, there apparently are disease-carrying ticks, because my dog got Lyme disease (and possibly Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever as well). She's better now, though.

Nikki
10-08-2006, 05:00 PM
For your dogs and cats get Frontline Plus. It's just marvelous stuff.

dustinac
10-09-2006, 08:42 AM
we use the vet flea/tick meds too.. and this year we still have had to battle ticks and fleas... the vet told us its good stuff and in the past we have had no problem.. but some years even that stuff can't help... grrrrrrr seems to think we didn't have a cold enough winter which we didn't... but yeah still putting it on them and giving them baths right before the next treatment.. and spraying everything.. still battling them left and right...

I don't like ticks either whenever I get one or someone else does lol anything that touches me for a day or two after sends me into checking for a tick... my son had one this year and the dr said put it in a ziplock bag and put it in the freezer.. if he has problems bring him and it in.. but he didn't... but yeah you gotta make sure you get the head..