PDA

View Full Version : OT - I n t e r v i e w help

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if you guys could help me out. I have an i n t e r v i e w coming up with a company from North America. I've had several i n t e r v i e w s in the past but none with anyone from overseas (they are coming to meet with me *yikes!*) I'm thinking it might be different from the ones I've experienced here locally, so if you guys could share some questions you might have been asked in past I would appreciate it. I'm going for a management post in a small company.

Thanks!

jberry16
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
just think of difficult situations you've had to endure in the past, and how you handeled them. Be sure of yourself, dress in dark blue or black slacks or skirt, knee length and a light colored top; they've done studies a few years back and people who wore these color combinations were more likely to get the job. Good luck!

janelanespaintbrush
10-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Lessee... I can probably think of a few...

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
What is your greatest weakness?
What can you offer our company?
How well do you handle stress?
What would you do in such-and-such a situation? (Question would be tailored to the job.)
Why should we hire you?

That's all I can think of right now. I would imagine that if they're coming to meet you, they're probably really interested... then again, maybe they might just want an excuse to go Barbados!

brendajos
10-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I would do some real research on the company, if you haven't done so already and have questions prepared for them as well. That was something I always had a hard time with until I finally gave in and bought a book. After reading that, the questions came a lot easier because I had a better idea of what kinds of questions they were looking for (and the happy bonus was that they were things i was interested in! ;) )

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks so much for your help! I'll let you guys know how it went : )

CarmenIbanez
10-09-2006, 11:40 AM
These are all really good suggestions. My biggest piece of advice would be to be totally honest and direct. Alot of people want to "pad" their resume and experience. But a love match in the interview means a happy and successful job. Answer the questions honestly and simply. I know you're going to be great! Good luck!

Stiney
10-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Be honest, be concise.

"Why do you want to work for us?" is a big question that gets asked a lot.

Have good questions to ask--this is always my hardest part! I need to do some more research about this one before my intarview this week. Luckily, mine's internal so my "research" has been my job for the last 7 months. ;)

skNYC
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
What country do you live in? What country is the interviwer coming from?

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi skNYC,

I live in Barbados in the Caribbean and they are coming from the US.

KnittyKitty
10-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Carmen and cawthraven!

I really want it to go well... I don't want to feel anxious and all that. I've been doing my research but I need to practice more of my answers. I have three questions to ask them (I hope they don't answer them before I ask!)

I know I have to qualifications and experience and I think it will be a good move for me.

Cawthraven, I'll cross my crossables for your interview too!

Stiney
10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks! Mine are crossed for yours!

Also, monster.com has good resources...including a "practice interview." It asks random interview questions, and you're supposed to talk out loud and answer them. Then you can move on to the next one.

skNYC
10-09-2006, 05:41 PM
They come all the way to Barbados to get you shows that you have qualifications that are hard to find in the US. Emphasize on those and keep in mind you are selling yourself. Be friendly, assertive, and very responsive. Remember, you are a salesperson to sell yourself. Make them like you!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Emeraldcutie
10-09-2006, 05:51 PM
When I interviewed at my last job , I always asked ther person to give specific answers.

Ex: Have you ever been in a stressful situation?
We like to hear what it was, how it was handled and the outcome.

If the person is quick to answer and seems like it was "nothing really".

I will keep them in mind, but if someone answers honestly, admits if it was a mistake and what they learned, they would get the position hands down.

I really hate the talkers who can sell anything to anyone.