PDA

View Full Version : training sock

XbelovedXoneX
10-09-2006, 10:16 AM
In honor of it being Socktoberfest I've decided to finally conquer learning socks. Last nite I did the training sock pattern on Knitty. Somehow I managed to get the purl bumps on the outside of the heel. Any ideas what I did wrong? It still looks sock-like so I'm still rather proud!! :happydance:

Denise in Michigan
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Good for you! :woot:

Are your purl bumps on the heel flap (ie., the rows right after "Divide for the heel"), on the heel itself (right after "Turn heel"), or both? I'm thinking that somewhere in there you might have either missed a row or added a row and switched your right side to wrong side.

Or------looking at the pattern, there may be a misleading portion:

Divide for Heel
Slide the first twelve stitches onto one needle, the remaining twelve onto
another. You will work the heel on the first twelve stitches.

Knit 1 row on 12 heel stitches. This is the right side.

Work 7 more row in stockinette stitch (starting with a wrong side/purl row
first), slipping first stitch of every row.

They're telling you to start knitting the heel on "the first twelve stitches", but the way that I read this, that makes it the wrong side, not the right side. They do go on to say "starting with a wrong side/purl row first", but that's after you've already been instructed to knit the first row.

XbelovedXoneX
10-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I think I got lost in the directions somewhere... I have cast on and gotten about an inch of ribbing on my first "real" sock using Silver's sock class.... so let's hope that works out better for me!

Denise in Michigan
10-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Go for it--Silver's tutorial is the best!

khewes
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
I had that same issue on the training sock.

I also knit very loosly, so I made the training socks into baby booties for my boss' new grandson and called the purl bumps a "design element"

:teehee: