PDA

View Full Version : Branching Out

jdee
10-09-2006, 02:33 PM
This weekend, I went shopping out of town. We live in a small town, with no LYS, which is fine, because I don't really have the budget for expensive yarn, but I still like to occasionally, shop at The Woolie Ewe, in Plano, which is about a two hour drive. (anyone, who lives near plane, and has never been, I highly recommend this place. The people are so helpful, and knowledgeable.)

Anyway, we decided to buy a nice yarn, so I can knit a soft, yummy scarf for my husband's daughter, for Christmas. While I was looking around, and touching one wonderful yarn, after another, I happened to see a beautiful scarf on display. It was made with Debbie Bliss, pure cashmere yarn, which is really not in our budget, even when we're planning to splurge. I asked one of the store employees if the same scarf could be made with cashmerino DK, and if they sold the pattern in thier store. She knew exactly which book it was in, and took me right to it. She also assured me that using the cashmerino would work fine.

So I came out with a pattern book, and enough cashmerino DK to make a had and scarf. I also bought some baby alpaca grand, for another scarf I saw. This scarf was made with a store pattern which was free if you bought the yarn. The yarn was pretty expensive, but it only took one hank to make this scarf. We got enough to two scarves, because my husband wanted my to make something for myself for a change. (isn't he wonderful?)

Back to the scarf for my stepdaughter...
I'm going to have to learn how to make cables, something I've always shied away from, but the pattern is so beautiful, that I felt I just had to try. I hope it's not too hard, but just to warn you. I might be posting some pretty frustrated posts when I start trying to make this scarf.

rebecca
10-09-2006, 02:44 PM
You are going to find that cables are not nearly so hard as you think :wink:
I can't wait to see your scarves :cheering:

jdee
10-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, I've started the cable scarf, and I'm so happy! I frogged a couple of times when I first started it, but I seem to have gotten the hang of it. It's so much easier than I thought it would be. :happydance:
I'll post pictures in the Whatcha Knitting forum, as soon as it gets big enough for the pattern to show.

rebecca
10-14-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm so happy to read that you are enjoying it! Can't wait to see the pics!

Quiltlady
10-14-2006, 10:15 PM
I was surprised at how easy doing cables are. I thought they would be so difficult until I saw it done on Knitty Gritty and I was amazed at how simple it was. :happydance: