PDA

View Full Version : WIP - U Neck Pullover

CarmenIbanez
10-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Here is the sweater I am knitting for myself. I know the fair isle is really nice (if you like that sort of thing, which I don't), but I am doing this in plain black, with just two rows of grey along the border of all the ribbing. I just fell in love with the shape and style of it. It is from one of the recent Vogue Knitting mags.

Stiney
10-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Ooh, that is pretty. I agree, I'm more of a solid-color gal myself.

rebecca
10-10-2006, 01:24 PM
It's lovely! I'm with you, I'm not a big fair isle fan...don't get me wrong, I love it, but there are just some designs (like all over) that just don't do it for me :wink:

SandraEllen
10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
ooh... purdy.
that'll look really nice no matter how you knit it up. The shape is stunning.

CarmenIbanez
10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
I think fair isle is amazing and beautiful. I truly appreciate the delicate knitting that goes into creating it. It just isn't my personal style. But I :heart: :heart: :heart: this sweater!

Jan in CA
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
That is a beautiful sweater! It should be lovely in black!

I like doing fair isle, but I wouldn't do a whole sweater for myself with it. I might like it as a border though.

mwedzi
10-10-2006, 03:47 PM
I love that sweater and think it is the most beautiful in that issue. One day I want to do it, too, in fair-isle.

CarmenIbanez
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Well, I can think of about three different versions I could do this sweater in. And though it is stockinette (aka boring to knit) it knits quickly! It has taken me less than three days to do the back. I could be done with it by next week. Althought I usually get bogged down in the whole blocking seaming process. I don't know if I am going to bother blocking. I think I remember that blocking acrylic is pretty useless, eh?

losnana
10-10-2006, 07:34 PM
I love the neckline. Please post a pix when you finish. i bet it'll be stunning in black!

Jackie F.
10-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I, too, love the neckline! I'm making a sweater (The Somewhat Cowl) whose neckline is cut somewhat similarly, except the rib edging will be folded over and sewn down.

I have to agree with you on fair isle: it's nice, but I don't aspire to make too many things with it. Although, now that I've just tried intarsia (on knitty's Anouk pattern), I definitely prefer fair isle. With intarsia, the gazillion bobbins, the infinite tails to weave in, and the unevenness of the stitches that need to be fixed afterwards made me go super batty! ...and all I did was make two little pockets for a baby dress. Solid color projects are definitely the way to go!

CarmenIbanez
10-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes I have done intarsia, and on pieces with large blocks of color it works well. But I did a dog sweater once in burberry plaid that nearly killed me. I learned a valuable lesson though, for skinny lines in a pattern, use duplicate stitch! :-)

tmsl
10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I love that sweater!!! I would like to see how it turns out in solid color, as well. That was my first issue of Vogue Knitting and I think I may have to subscribe to it, such beautiful patterns.

Laura

CarmenIbanez
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Vogue Knitting drives me crazy because I didn't read it for so long that every time I went to the LYS, I could pick up a copy that I hadn't seen before. Now I've had almost all of the issues and it seems like SO LONG until the next one comes! I think Holiday issue is out now, or at least very soon. I usually only end up with about 2-4 patterns in an issue that I would make. But since the mag is only $5.99 I think it is worth it. Plus I read it over and over.

Amber
10-11-2006, 01:39 PM
I think that'll look lovely in black and grey. Can't wait to see it!

hellokitty165
10-12-2006, 11:02 AM
the outline of this sweater is beautiful...and the shape is outstanding...plain is very classic....u can wear it over the years and never go outdated....show us the pic once is done ...i will go :thumbsup: for this one ...

CarmenIbanez
10-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Well I finished my other project AND the back to this sweater yesterday, so the rest of this sweater should come along pretty quickly. Then I HAVE to get all my cloggies done. OY!

CarmenIbanez
10-13-2006, 11:53 PM
AAACCCKKKKKK!

I started the front of the sweater with what I thought was the second ball of the same black yarn I was using. After finished a few inches of it, I put the two pieces together to make sure my sizing was consistent and the BLACKS ARE DIFFERENT!

Oh well, it's just some cheap acrylic stuff that I was using. I wanted to make the sweater in something inexpensive first because it is so close fitting that if it didn't work out I'd be MAD. So I am just going to finish it. If it's really bad, no big loss. If it works out I may still wear it. And I'll still probably make another one in a nicer yarn. OY!

mwedzi
10-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Dang!, you did that much already?! Are you actually doing it on size 4 needles like the pattern recommends? I wanna knit this sweater (the fair-isle version) so bad, but size 4's + fair isle sounds scary to me.

CarmenIbanez
10-16-2006, 11:36 AM
I am using worsted weight yarn on size 7 needles. My guage is 22% larger, so I only cast on 86 stitches, with the decreasing that you do starting right at the beginning of the pattern, it knits up pretty darn quick.

Hsiaokuo62
10-18-2006, 11:54 PM
I have that issue and I too salivated over that sweater! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out :happydance: Very feminine shape

I always wonder how hard those patterns in Vogue Knitting are? I know some are listed as *Very Easy Very Vogue* but seems like the others are pretty complex.

CarmenIbanez
10-19-2006, 01:25 AM
I am sort of an adventurous knitter. I tend to choose things I like and then figure out how the heck I am going to knit them. Like the wise Ingrid says: trust the pattern. If you follow it step by step, usually you're okay. This one, minus the fair isle is just stockinette!

KnittyKitty
10-19-2006, 06:31 AM
That's going to be a lovely sweater when you're done!

mwedzi
11-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Sooooo . . . how is it coming?

CarmenIbanez
11-12-2006, 09:13 PM
I am seaming it right now!!! I am so excited. I hope it fits!