PDA

View Full Version : goodwill lovers out there ??

hellokitty165
10-10-2006, 02:53 PM
i love goodwill....yesterday i found a silk-cashmere knit wrap jacket ...brand new !!!! still with the price tag on it ...(from stein-mart) super duper Ultra-soft and best of all it only cost me $4.99 !!!!!!! :woot: :woot:

and i found a hello kitty magnetic board...i love it !!!! i am using it now to hold my knitting pattern !!!! wow that was a awsome day for me ....anyone goes to goodwill ???? if not check it out...things donated to them are from Target...Gap....and many many other stores

janelanespaintbrush
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Congrats on your find! :cheering: I once found a Wustaf Trident knife block in great condition (perfect match for my knives) for $3. Other than that, I've not had much luck. It's been so long since I've been to one, though.

JLC
10-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Yup, you gotta love goodwill. The whole outfit I have on today came from Goodwill - LL Bean pants, Gap t-shirt, Old Navy button down long sleeve shirt, and Eastland shoes! My dh is manager at one of the Goodwill stores here in Maine, so we even get a discount. I don't usually have much luck with kids clothes, but I think that's mostly because they don't keep them sized well and I refuse to rummage through racks and racks looking for the sizes I need. I get lots of stuff for me, though. A couple years ago, I went Christmas shopping with my dad and he bought $90 winter boots at LL Bean for my mother, and a couple weeks later, Goodwill got a shipment of returns from LL Bean and I bought the exact same boots for $9.99!!!

Stonington
10-10-2006, 03:55 PM
JLC, Which one do you go to? I have not had good luck in Southern Maine, but the store in Bangor is great! :cheering:

Thanks,
anne
sebago, ME

stitchywitch
10-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I love Goodwill! I go once a week and rummage through all the racks. I have a gigantic wardrobe now that looks way more expensive than it was! Is it bad if the employees know you by name? I may have a problem...

JLC
10-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Anne, my dh is at the Augusta store. He used to be in Waterville, which is one of the smaller stores, but they really weed out the stained, ripped clothes, and it makes it easier to find decent things. The Bangor store on Stillwater Ave is my favorite. We're good friends with the manager there. She has a daughter the same age as my oldest son. I've been to the one on (I think) Forest Ave in Portland, but I didn't find anything there. Is there also one in that little plaza by Walmart in Scarborough?

Stonington
10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
JLC,

I have not visited the one in Scarborough. I love the one in Augusta, I use have to go to the Kennebec journal bi-weekly to have our paper printed-and would visit the Goodwill there. There also use to be a small consignment shop just up the road on the right that had a wonderful inventory. I have to agree - Stillwater is my favorite :cheering: though.

anne
sebago, ME

mwedzi
10-11-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't usually go because there's not one near me. And if I look deep within myself, I think I'd have to admit that I like spending money and buying shiny new things. But I would definitely go more often if there was one closer. I went several months ago looking for sweaters that I could recycle yarn from. I only found one where the yarn was not teeny tiny thin, a large Land's End mens sweater in lambswool for $3. I did, however, pick up an Ann Taylor Loft angora blend little sweater jacket for $2.50. It's very cute!

Stiney
10-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I guess there must be a Goodwill near me, because we donated loads of my grandparent's furniture there when G-pa moved in with us. I just have no idea where it is. I go to various other thrift shops, though.

The best one I've ever been to has to be The Garment District/Dollar-a-Pound in Cambridge. The Garment District is upstairs, a bit more "vintage" than thrift store, so it's pricier. They have great Halloween costumes, though. If you can get there this time of year, I recommend it. But Dollar-a-Pound is downstairs, and it's a dollar for a pound of clothes, and they give you giant plastic bags. The clothes are all dumped on the floor, which is kinda gross, but I found some really awesome stuff there.

And the building is pink, in the middle of MIT. How could you go wrong?

hellokitty165
10-11-2006, 11:08 AM
I guess there must be a Goodwill near me, because we donated loads of my grandparent's furniture there when G-pa moved in with us. I just have no idea where it is. I go to various other thrift shops, though.

The best one I've ever been to has to be The Garment District/Dollar-a-Pound in Cambridge. The Garment District is upstairs, a bit more "vintage" than thrift store, so it's pricier. They have great Halloween costumes, though. If you can get there this time of year, I recommend it. But Dollar-a-Pound is downstairs, and it's a dollar for a pound of clothes, and they give you giant plastic bags. The clothes are all dumped on the floor, which is kinda gross, but I found some really awesome stuff there.

And the building is pink, in the middle of MIT. How could you go wrong?

Ya u want to be careful when you buy stuff at goodwill...or other thrift store.... i wash cloth that i bought in hot water so that to kill germs or whatever it is ...some time people clothing that they don't wash....i m fussy about clothing ...most of the time i buy those with store tag on unless i m really into that clothing so much that i have to have it

becjo
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
I have a funny story about Goodwill. I had an aunt who gave a donation of clothes and shoes - she went back a few weeks and found a pair of shoes that she loved - got them home, they were her daughters - her daughter asked where she got those and she said Goodwill and it hit them that she saw those shoes before. Oh well - the money went to a good cause!

hellokitty165
10-11-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a funny story about Goodwill. I had an aunt who gave a donation of clothes and shoes - she went back a few weeks and found a pair of shoes that she loved - got them home, they were her daughters - her daughter asked where she got those and she said Goodwill and it hit them that she saw those shoes before. Oh well - the money went to a good cause! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: that was funny....well like u said it a good cause....

Mulderknitter
10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
I have always been a thrift/goodwill/salvation army/saver's addict-I've never had much money and like to have things that look nice. So I'm almost 30 and still buy a lot of clothes there, especially at turn of season when you are itching for new clothes but don't have much money. that's my favorite time because you get a lot for a new season wardrobe for not a lot of $
My new thing is the thrift stores that have grab bags of yarn :heart: :heart: I bought a grab bag of yarn for $2 and got 6 brand new balls of white mohair in the bag! Yea me! :happydance:

psammeadred
10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
I love thrift stores!!! Almost all my straights are from a big one about 15 minutes away from my house. It benefits a charity that helps homeless women and children, so it's hard not to buy from them.

You have to be careful about buying yarn from thrift stores, though - often it's rolled too tightly and gets stretched out. At least, that's the experience I've had.

Mulderknitter
10-11-2006, 07:50 PM
ty for the advice on the yarn from thrift stores, tho in my experience, the cost of the bag super outweighs the benefits most of the time

Stiney
10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
I did a grab bag (well, box) with CDs once. 60 CDs for $30. I threw out more than half of them, but it still was a good deal.

And if the only problem is that it's been rolled too tight, can't you unwind it and roll it into a ball.

yeah_im_crazy
10-15-2006, 09:00 PM
i live in downey CA and there is a goodwill in norwalk, the next city over, like a five minute drive. it just burened down like last year, and me and my mom were devastated. but then they fixed it back up and we are happy again!!! yaaay! they have such great cheap stuff there. i bought a pair of jeans once for $3. and also a nice brand name blouse for$1.50. and a nice sweatshirt for $2. great place, although sometimes when i go in there it makes my skin itch, i dont know why. does this happen to anyone else??

hellokitty165
10-15-2006, 09:32 PM
i live in downey CA and there is a goodwill in norwalk, the next city over, like a five minute drive. it just burened down like last year, and me and my mom were devastated. but then they fixed it back up and we are happy again!!! yaaay! they have such great cheap stuff there. i bought a pair of jeans once for $3. and also a nice brand name blouse for$1.50. and a nice sweatshirt for $2. great place, although sometimes when i go in there it makes my skin itch, i dont know why. does this happen to anyone else??

yes me feel the same way too ...not the one by me though...other good will i went it does make me itch ...