PDA

View Full Version : What size should you choose?

Witchy Mama
10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I am looking at doing a cardigan for myself but I am a little confused, I wanted to find out what size I should go for and so measured my chest which came back as 99cm (39") yet the smallest size in the pattern is for 40". Are those sizing to say they will fit someone with a 40" chest or is it just telling you exactly how far around it is ment to go and if so how do you choose which size is best for you.
Also when you measure are you ment to do it with or without a bra, I did with seeing as I never leave the house without one :roflhard:

knitqueen
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Measure with a bra on. Usually a pattern will specify something like 'Finished Bust Size' which means that is the size that the garment will be at the bust area when completed. Not necessarily the regular bust size of the wearer. It sounds like it's likely a fairly loose fitting garment if 40" is considered the smallest size, what's the pattern??

Witchy Mama
10-11-2006, 12:08 AM
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTbelleepoque.html I've been looking at a few others too but this is the one that raised the question hehehe

thanks for your help

Ingrid
10-11-2006, 07:45 AM
You want some 'ease' in a garment, but the amount depends on how loose or tight you want it to be. A cardigan, for example would require more ease than a fitted sweater. Measure a sweater that you love the fit of, and use this as your guide.

mulene
10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
I agree with Ingrid - you need some 'ease' in the finished garment. The sizes given on Belle Epoque do state "finished measurements" so the finished size of the bust on that one will be 40" therefore you will have around 1" of ease or give on the garment. This might be ok if you like things tight fitting but if you prefer a bit more room in a garment go up a size and you'll have an additonal 2.5" of 'movement room' in the chest area.

The other option is to make this at the 40" bust size and throw in some short rows - you will certainly need short rows if you are a D cup and up or the front of the garment will rise in order to give the space for the additional boobage.

The measuring the sweater you love route is really the best method. I know that I have had my measurments taken recently, but that when I made a sweater TO those measurments I wasn't happy with the final result and gave the sweater to my mother who had less cup size than I do (I am a FF). After this I learned to properly insert short rows and have used them to add in extra give in the chest area.

Witchy Mama
10-11-2006, 08:34 AM
thanks for that, the short rows probably explains why when ever I get one of those tops that are ment to have that lacey stuff that sits under your boobs the lacy stuff never stays put, so I don't buy those tops, they just look weird if the lace if around nipple height LMAO.

where abouts would I put the short rows? at the bottom of the bust area, the top or in the middle? (virgin knitter here, have only don't simple things LMAO)

mulene
10-11-2006, 10:00 AM
OK short row shaping is a TINY bit of an art. What I suggest is go to the library (or buy it because it IS fabulous) and pick up Big Girl Knits book - in there it explains all about short row shaping and gives you a chart with formula in to work out exactly where is the right place for you to put your short rows, how many short rows and the length of the short rows.

I too am a 'virgin knitter' in that I've only made a couple of proper garments one of which went to my mother as I didnt like the colour of the garment in the end and the other I messed up the short rows so badly its sitting at the frog pond waiting to be ripped back - it was knit in cotton so it murdered my hands too and the reason its waiting is its a summer shell and the cotton hurt me too much to pick it up right now again. I'll do it in the spring =D

Anyway BGK book is invaluable for learning all about shaping etc - its explained in plain english and its very very good for beginners IMO =D

Edit: and I too have the same issue with those lovely tops that end up with things in ALL the wrong places - gorgeous tops that end up looking like some weird thing on me lol

suzeeq
10-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Wait, I thought you said it was a cardigan pattern? A cardigan needs to be looser than a pullover to allow going over other clothing, but 1 inch of ease in this pattern ought to work out fine.

sue

mulene
10-11-2006, 10:08 AM
The pattern she linked to at knitty.com is a pullover. If its a cardigan then yes the shaping is different and the ease you would need would be much more (because you wear a cardi over other clothing). Again I say get BGK to explain the shaping.

Witchy Mama
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
hehehe yes I was a bit confusing, I was originally looking at cardigans but then I saw the pullover at Knitty which I liked and got really confused, maybe I was to confused to even ask the question LMAO