PDA

View Full Version : Looking for baby legwarmers pattern

liznwillow
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
It's been forever since I posted anything here (sorry about that!). I am alive and well and have a brand new baby girl named Sage! She's 2 months old now. :D

Anywho... I'm hoping someone here might have a pattern for baby legwarmers. I was thinking I could just cast on some stitches and knit in the round until the desired length, but I'm worried that they'll just fall right off her skinny little legs. So, any help would be appreciated! TIA!

Julie
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Congratulations!! :D

Personally I'd do just what you said...measure the leg, do a swatch, maybe subtract 5-10% for snug-ness and put 2x2 ribbing at each end. In fact, I was knitting kid socks yesterday and thought, I could just keep knitting and knitting and not even bother with the heel....leg warmers! They'd be so cute in self-striping yarn!

Shandeh
10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Here's a pattern you can buy for 2.99:
http://www.buggsbooks.com/babesknit.html

Mama Bear
10-12-2006, 04:52 AM
Congratulations!!!

Are you making them for now or for 3 months from now when she is likely to be scooting around on cold January floors?

Are you looking for sockweight yarn or heaviers?

For the lighter sockweight yarns (something that knits well on a 2.5mm needle) I tend to use about 36 stitches for six month size sock cuffs, but that would likely need to increase for the leg. Not to mention that babies vary a fair bit in size! You may want to use a bit of ribbing to give them more stretch so they last longer.

Mama Bear

liznwillow
10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
MamaBear, I think I would make several in different weights/colors/patterns if I could figure out how to make them! Thanks for the tip on the sock-weight yarn. The pattern really shouldn't be too hard to figure out... :??

snooc
10-12-2006, 05:27 PM
How funny! My little one is 2 months old now too (8 wks today, so not quite 2 months technically speaking), and I was just coming here to look for the same.exact.thing! I've seen Baby Legs which are made from fabric, but I thought it would be cool to make my own striped leggings for her to wear around the house or even put over her tights on colder days in the winter.

liznwillow
10-13-2006, 10:17 PM
How funny! My little one is 2 months old now too (8 wks today, so not quite 2 months technically speaking), and I was just coming here to look for the same.exact.thing! I've seen Baby Legs which are made from fabric, but I thought it would be cool to make my own striped leggings for her to wear around the house or even put over her tights on colder days in the winter.

WOW! What are the odds??! That's funny, indeed. Well, if I find something or come up with something, I'll be sure to share!