PDA

View Full Version : Fav pattern for single color scarf?

humblestumble
10-11-2006, 11:56 PM
I am going to try to knit a scarf for my mother by Sunday, I'd like to hear what your favorite one color scarves are. I've never knit a scarf since it is always usually hot down here, but I will be knitting a few this year (maybe). My brother lives in Colorado, and my mom has short hair this year.

I'm hoping for something not too involved because I need to be done by Sunday. But something that's not just garter or stockinette would be nice :)

Marilyn0202
10-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I like to knit long skinny striped scarves. You cast on 150-200 st depending on length and yarn weight, and then every row you switch colors. Makes a pretty scarf.

Mama Bear
10-12-2006, 05:01 AM
How about the Touch Of Whimsy Scarf (http://whimsicalknitting.blogspot.com/2006/05/touch-of-whimsy-scarf-pattern.html) by our very own Becca? It's lovely.

Mama Bear

Shandeh
10-12-2006, 05:16 AM
One of the first scarves I ever made was the "Quick Knit Gift Scarf" on the Frugal Knitting Haus website.
http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/giftscarf.asp

It makes a thick, pretty scarf, and goes very quick!

Ingrid
10-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Another quick, nice scarf is the Scrunchable. Just k2,p1 on every row, allowing another stitch at each end for an edge. Slip the first stitch, k2, p1 across, and knit the last stitch. Any multiple of 3 + 2 will work. It goes quickly, works with most any yarn and makes a soft, warm scarf.

Julie
10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm with Ingrid -- if I were in a hurry, I'd knit a Scrunchable. :thumbsup:

cara
10-12-2006, 10:42 AM
I am working on this one for my mom and it is turning out great.. and it is easy!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTwavy.html

Stiney
10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm doing one in basketweave right now.

Cast on 28 stitches
k4, p4 across to last 4 stitches, k4
p4, k4 across to last 4 stitches, p4

Etc, until it is as long as you want it. I'm using Lamb's Pride bulky, it's really wide. It's not going very fast because I usually only knit it for about 10-30 minutes during my lunch break.

humblestumble
10-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks for all the input. I was anxious to start last night, so I looked through my encyclopedia and chose a dragonscale pattern and just cast on 26 sts and knit away. I've done about 3 pattern repeast now. You can't really see the pattern much with the selfstriping yarn I'm using, but at least I'm not bored :) I think I would go crazy doing something really repetitive. This pattern has 12 rows to follow before repeating, but only 6 need my attention.

I will be knitting two more scarves this year though, hopefully. So I am thinking I will knit one illusion scarf for my brother's girlfriend and he wants a tweed yarn, so I'm thinking for him i may go with a cables or one of the scarves you guys mentioned. Thanks again! :muah:

Celine
10-13-2006, 03:20 AM
I'm knitting a scarf out of Mmmmmmmmmm for my son's girl friend for xmas. I decided on just doing a seed stitch and its coming out so nice. I think she'll love it. :teehee:

Momma_Jo
10-16-2006, 03:48 PM
My favorite single color I just knit entirely from scratch. I initially was going to make a swatch just to practice different stitches and stitch combos after having taken a few years' break from knitting, but then decided to just continue and make it into a scarf. I just made sure that the second half of the scarf had the same pattern as the first half (for example, if the 3rd section from the left had seed stitch, I made sure the 3rd from the right did so too). I used sections of everything from a section of simple knit stitch to tassels on both ends to a major increase which made the scarf kind of ruched and "bubbly." I was originally gonna give it to my boyfriend, but then decided I liked it too much and kept it for myself. :teehee: