PDA

View Full Version : New knitter, cable question

cass_c
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
I have only learned to knit in the last couple of months, and I am about to begin my first sweater. It is ribbed in the back, arms and neck, and cabled in the front. I have checked my gauge with st and rib, and am good there. But...when it comes to my cables I am having some problems. I have holes at the bottoms. They aren't holes like I dropped a stitch, it is more like the yarn is stretched straight acrosswhere the three stitches should be. I checked "The Knitting Answer Book," and it recommended loosening up the stitches. They were pretty tight, so I loosened them up. Same thing. Tightened back up just a tad, same thing. So, I am now convinced that my tension is not the problem.

Could it be that in my swatch I am knitting the cables right next to each other, with another stitch between, such as garter or st?

Ingrid
10-12-2006, 08:21 PM
That could be it. Usually cables have several stitches between them because the yarn does tend to pull. The stitches of the cable are being pulled to one side, after all.

When you make your cable, make sure that you're slipping the stitches as if to purl onto the cable needle, and as you switch from knit to purl after the cable stitch, keep your needles as close together as possible and your yarn taut. This way the stitches have less chance to stretch out.