PDA

View Full Version : problems with doll poncho pattern

rorygilmore
10-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm trying to knit this:

http://majorknitter.typepad.com/photos/poncho_mania/cimg0662.html

But once I get it on the double pointed needles and start knitting on them, it's not in Stocking net sts but in knit sts, and the stocking net is on the in side of the poncho, I don't understand what I'm going wrong.. This is my first project on double points but I have knitting in the round before on hats. Please help ,me, this is driving me crazy. Thanks!!!!!

knitqueen
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
When you hold the double points in your hands, you need to be knitting with the needles closest to you so that you are knitting on the outside of the 'round'. If you knit with the needles furthest from you will end up with what should be the right side of the stockinette stitch showing on the inside of the poncho. I suspect this is what is happening.

rorygilmore
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!!! Now I have to start over, i riped out what I had knit.. it was mocking me. :wall:

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 10:25 AM
So i tryed knitting with the needles towards me but its still coming out the same.. :wall:

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I think your knitting is inside-out. This link (http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html) has pictures of inside-out circular knitting on one circular needle, but the same thing should apply to DPNs. (Scroll down near the bottom. I'm guessing that your knitting looks like the second photo, except that your working needles are facing toward you. The solution is still the same.)

LoAnnie
10-13-2006, 11:30 AM
For my first project in-the-round, I knit the whole thing inside out. It shouldn't make a difference. You can always turn it back right side out when you finish. Or if you want, knit a few rows, then turn it back. Whatever you want to do.
LoAnnie

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 11:50 AM
For my first project in-the-round, I knit the whole thing inside out. It shouldn't make a difference. You can always turn it back right side out when you finish. Or if you want, knit a few rows, then turn it back. Whatever you want to do.
LoAnnie

The problem is that she's working straight for a while before joining, so there is some stockinette stitch already established before she starts knitting in the round. So in this case, it does make a difference -- she's getting what looks like stockinette next to reverse stockinette. As long as she's consistent, inside-out is okay, but the problem is that the work is turned around when she joins (or something similar to that). I didn't want to bring up the possibility of working inside-out because I thought it would just make everything more confusing. (The main issue here is that she needs stockinette to show below the needles when she starts working.) I think if she looks at the pictures on the linked site, things will click. (It also specifically says it's okay to work inside-out so she can do that if she chooses to, once she gets the stitches to all face the same way.)

Ah, Rory -- it just occurred to me that you should make sure when you're joining that the right (or knit) side of the fabric it facing out -- you see little v's rather than purl bumps. That may be what's causing you to get inside-out. (I just looked at the pattern again, and I see how it could be confusing at that point.)

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 01:57 PM
ok, my knitting has the stocking net sts facing out and the inside is reverse stocking net. I'll take a picture of it and maybe that will help. I don't understand why I'm having this problem with the double points, I've never had any problems knitting on circulars.

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 02:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/stupidponcho.jpg

here is the evil poncho.

gardenmommy
10-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Kinda looks to me like your stitches are twisted, but I can't tell for sure. :??

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 02:22 PM
It looks like your working yarn is at the top of the photo right now, which would make it on the opposite side from the part that is closest to you when you're holding it. Is that correct? If so, you want to rotate it 180 degrees so the working yarn and needles are right in front of you, at the 6:00 position (right now it is at 12:00). You will be knitting around the outer rim of the tube with knit-side facing out and the work hanging down.

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 02:46 PM
So put my knitting back on circluar needles i started it on. I try to with the knitting facing me(on the double points) but it just doesn't feel right. I knit with my working yarn in my left hand, if that helps.

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Have you started knitting? Maybe it just doesn't "feel right" because you're not used to DPNs?

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 02:55 PM
yes, i have and it turn out the same. maybe i should try it again.

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Can you take another picture of what it looks like now?

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 03:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/DSCF4038.jpg

Does it matter what end start at to put the sts on the double points?[/img]

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't think the way you put in the DPNs matters since they don't really have "sides" being double-pointed and all. In your photo, lets say that the top left corner is A and the top right corner is B. When you join, you want it to wrap around so that B is the on the right and A is on the left when they meet. (Sorta like B is staying where it is, and A is swinging around the back to come around and meet B.) Is that what you're doing?

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 03:29 PM
i have it back on the double points andi have like u said.

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I made a little diagram because I don't think I was explaining it well. The top image matches up with your photo. I hope it makes sense.

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 04:14 PM
i figured it out.. i was starting to knit on the wrong needle. if it weren't for you i would riped this out along time ago... thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!! :muah: :muah:

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 04:15 PM
your diagram helped so much!

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Oh yay! I just PM'd Ingrid for more help. (Sorry Ingrid.) :cheering:

knitqueen
10-13-2006, 04:19 PM
First off, I'm so glad you've got the dpns figured out - the diagram that was posted was very helpful I'm sure.

I've just been looking at the photos you posted, and it really doesn't look like stockinette stitch to me :thinking: It looks more to me like a woven type, herringbone kind of stitch....I wonder if you're working your knit stitches through the back loops instead of the front loops or something?? It reminds me of this pattern (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html#000079).

Ingrid
10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
No problem! I was just reading through. There is no way that I could have come up with that nifty little diagram!

janelanespaintbrush
10-13-2006, 04:22 PM
First off, I'm so glad you've got the dpns figured out - the diagram that was posted was very helpful I'm sure.

I've just been looking at the photos you posted, and it really doesn't look like stockinette stitch to me :thinking: It looks more to me like a woven type, herringbone kind of stitch....I wonder if you're working your knit stitches through the back loops instead of the front loops or something?? It reminds me of this pattern (http://www.sheepinthecity.prettyposies.com/archives/000079.html#000079).

gardenmommy suggested that maybe her stitches are twisted... it's hard to tell with that yarn. As long as she's consistent in the way she does it, I think it kind of looks nice that way.

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry i was knitting! knitqueen, i see what you mean by my stocking net sts looking like that pattern. But it looks like this every time I knit with this yarn. the yarn is sugar 'n cream.

I'm so glad that I finally figured out what i was doing.. Thank again, janelanespaintbrush. I couldn't have done it without you!

rorygilmore
10-13-2006, 04:55 PM
I knitted some doll hats with the same yarn, i'll pics of those and the poncho when its finished. :happydance: