PDA

View Full Version : Top or Bottom Whorl for newbie?

Eloewien
10-13-2006, 07:53 AM
I'm trying to find a decent drop spindle, and it's looking like my best shot at the moment is ebay-- I'm having trouble finding a basic drop spindle anywhere else. There are gorgeous drop spindles made of all kinds of beautiful woods with inlays and all kinds of options elsewhere, but it's been difficult to find anything basic!

Anyway- on to my question-- for a beginner- is top whorl or bottom going to be easier to learn or does it matter? I'm looking at possibly getting
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Drop-Spindle-Kit-Spinning-Learn-to-Spin-SALE_W0QQitemZ130035104412QQihZ003QQcategoryZ36602 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130035104412) starter kit, especially since it has the book. I'm going to check to see what the local barnes & noble has in the way of books about spinning. I was also considering any of the spindles from Annie May's Spin and Wool Ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/annie-mays-spin-and-wool_Top-whorl-spindle-kits_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ14QQftidZ2QQtZkm). I love the handpainted designs!!

Any thoughts?

Laura

mullerslanefarm
10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I taught myself on a bottom whorl drop spindle. Recently I had my husband make me some drop spindles that can be used as both a top & bottom whorl that I can sell at Farmer's Market. Of course, I had to test spin them all!

The top whorl seems to hold it's spin longer. I've heard this was true and have now experienced myself. For putting the spin on the whorl, both are equal.

Julie
10-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I started with a bottom whorl and found top whorl much easier when I switched. I actually have a Schacht hi-lo spindle which can be used either way, and I :heart: it. They are only $16-17 and FWIW, I wish I had spent the extra $5 initially instead of starting on a kit spindle.

Liliyarn
10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I second Julie. Basic spindles just didn't do it for me. I wished I had upgraded as well. Mine was a bottom whorl/top whorl.

Eloewien
10-13-2006, 07:20 PM
I ordered a top whorl spindle to learn on with green wool to play around with... yay!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230037916737

I also bought some blue wool roving to try as well. The spindle came with a deep green and I decided to grab some in blue, since I couldn't make up my mind between the two. :cheering: :happydance: I can't wait!

itsbecca1979
10-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Annie May is wonderful! I bought my bottom whorl from her!

Eloewien
10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Yay!!! It got here!! :cheering: :happydance: I'm going to go try my hand at spinning!!

Eloewien
10-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Ok... yarn is untwisting as soon as I try to wind it on the spindle, or it's doubling back on itself... how do I work that out?

yarnfreak
10-17-2006, 05:14 AM
All I can say is practice, practice, practice. Eventually it'll click.

mintdee
10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
All that is going on is that sometimes you are over twisting (That is why it is doubleing over on itself) or not giving it enough twist. Just keep practicing and before you know it you will be spinning beautiful balanced yarn. Tip: keep your first yarn It is great to look back to see how much you have improved! :hug:

BTW: Roving is super addictive. so be careful :teehee:

Julie
10-17-2006, 09:02 AM
First of all, are you parking and drafting? If you do that, then there will be no untwisting. Spin the spindle, park it between your legs, draft the fiber, then let the twist into the fiber a few inches at a time until the twist weakens and you need to spin again. Repeat until you're really comfortable drafting and are ready to let the spindle hang and spin -- but keep in mind that that might not happen, and it won't necessarily be your fault. (My kit spindle will only keep spinning if I spin silk hankies on it. To this day.)

To keep the yarn from doubling back on itself, you need to hold it taut and wind it on with some gentle tension. If you pull it tight the yarn shouldn't break -- if it does, there's not enough twist in it. Doubling back is normal -- there's a lot of twist in the yarn and plying or resting will release some of that. Singles are twisty, especially the first ones you ever spin! :D

Eloewien
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :) I'll give 'em a shot tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to try again. I only got to try for about 20 minutes last night when-- oh no-- my water heater was flooding the basement!! That ended up being an all-night project. We'll see if I can stay awake long enough this evening to spin... we shall see. Thank you again for the help!!