PDA

View Full Version : Machine Washable DK weight yarn?

mwedzi
10-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Can anyone recommend a dk or light worsted superwash wool yarn? Being the broke person I am, affordable would be nice.

thanks,

nikki

nadja la claire
10-13-2006, 03:46 PM
James C. Brett's Marble can be used as a DK yarn and it is washable. It's self striping though.

Nadja xxx

nadja la claire
10-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm sorry the Marble is not wool. Sorry about that, that's what I get for not reading the postings more carefully. :doh: :oops:

Nadja xxx

Ingrid
10-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Dale of Norway Falk is superwash wool at the right weight.

http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=209

kemp
10-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Opal 6 ply is the right weight, but $$$

mwedzi
10-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I found that Dale of Norway yarn at Webs for about $5.25 a ball. Not too bad pricewise, but upon further thought, seeing as how I would need somewhere around 14 balls, even with the 20% discount I think I can't have it. Cursed poverty! I might just go with KnitPicks Merino Style, which would be something like just 3/5 the price, and just handwash it.

suzeeq
10-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Knitpick's Swish would probably fit what you want.

sue

Ingrid
10-14-2006, 06:18 PM
If it doesn't have to be 100% wool, Encore dk is a nice alternative. It's a wool/acrylic blend.

geekgolightly
10-14-2006, 06:45 PM
the Encore dk will hold up in the wash. the swish i didn't have so much luck with. it fuzzed out.

mwedzi
10-15-2006, 04:18 PM
I had been thinking about KP Swish, but it's worsted, right? The Encore DK might be a reasonable alternative, though. I guess there's no need for it to be 100% wool exactly, just that whenever I felt a superwash wool, it usually felt so much softer than machine washable acrylic. But Encore isn't so bad, so maybe I'll go for that.

I have a little while to think about it, though, since I just spent my yarn money on clothes. I was down to only 1 pair of jeans that actually fit and didn't have holes in them! Cursed poverty!

janelanespaintbrush
10-15-2006, 04:30 PM
For affordable yarn, have you considered recycling thrift store sweaters? I've seen a thread or two about it here on KH. Might be something to look into.

mwedzi
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
For affordable yarn, have you considered recycling thrift store sweaters? I've seen a thread or two about it here on KH. Might be something to look into.

As a matter of fact, yes! I bought a large Land's End men's sweater in lambswool, washed it in the machine on cold (despite the fact that it's not really machine washable), let it dry, then tried to unravel it. Ooh, what a pain. But I have managed to unravel a sleeve so far. It's quite bulky (like 6 fingering plies held together) and sheddy, but it doesn't look so bad in a swatch on size 9s.

The one thing about it is, lots of the wool sweaters there also aren't machine washable. The machine washable stuff is mostly acrylic. Acrylic I can afford (barely :pout: ) to get new.

The more and more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to Caron Simply Soft. I swatched a bit with it, it's not squeaky like bad acrylic at all, it's soft, machine washable, and very cheap. Maybe that's what I'll go for.

mwedzi
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I found some! Just thought I'd add it to the thread in case anybody was looking in the future. Knitwerx's own line of superwash wool is listed as a sport weight, but at 100 m to 50g, it could go as DK, too. And it's affordable at $3.24 a ball. Of course, like the pabo/baka/fool I am, I've already spent all my yarn money for a while. I'll definitely keep it in mind, though.