PDA

View Full Version : Was it called the scrunchable scarf??

Cristy
10-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Last year, actually this year come to think of it, for valentine's day, I knitted dh a scrunchable scarf (was that what it was called??!!). I think it's Hildie's pattern--or maybe she's just played w/ it alot...anyhow--I was wondering if anyone had ever translated it to a hat pattern--on either dpns or straights..I guess I could even learn magic loop really quick if needed....I think dh would like a hat to match his scarf since he shaved his head this summer...it doesn't get real cold here but the chillier times are headed our way... Can anyone help?

Ingrid
10-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I made a scrunchable hat last Christmas for my niece.

I didn't have the right sized circs for it, so I made it on straights, using doubled yarn. It went fast and looked great.

I guess in the round, you'd have to k2, p1 on the first round and p2 k1 on the second round.

I cast on 54 stitches with the doubled yarn on size 15, but you can do it with any yarn. Just figure your gauge from the scarf and multiply that by the number of inches you want the hat to be. I tried it on as I went in order to come up with the right size.

Cristy
10-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Good idea Ingrid...my only problem is that the yarn I used is discontinued but I think I might browse around online and see if I can find it somewhere...I know there has to be a shop that carries discontinued yarn. I think I used Lionbrand KoolWool if I remember correctly-in a dark grey color. I can't remember what size needles I used but it was probably something large like 10s or 11s b/c then I never knitted anything that called for a needle smaller than a 8. It was such a fast knit...that scarf. Thinking maybe dad would like one too...

suzeeq
10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I guess in the round, you'd have to k2, p1 on the first round and p2 k1 on the second round.

Yep, I was fooling around with that pattern the other day and that's what it comes out to.

sue

Cristy
10-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks suzeeq--that makes sense! :)