PDA

View Full Version : Poncho popularity

phoenixjen
10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Are ponchos still popular? I made one and was considering selling it at a craft fair.

Jenny

humblestumble
10-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I think in the fashion world shrugs are more popular, but you never know. A poncho may still sell.

knitaddict
10-16-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't know if they are or not, but I hope that 4 year old girls like them... I just finished 2 of them for Christmas presents. :)

I will say that my mum has made ponchos every new born baby she's known for years and the parents always have them wear them. Maybe ponchos are more popular for children than for adults??? :shrug:

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm still finishing my first one. I think they're great. And popular.
I'm seeing them around now the cold weather's rolled in.
Try selling it if you don't want to wear it!

One of the girls at The Yarn Company (owners I mean) had the most beautiful poncho on, a big thick orange poncho... it was so pretty I went to the bookstore and read the pattern. Just that simple rectangle kind you sew up. I think I want one of those too.....
P.S. they have a book out with their patterns

mulene
10-16-2006, 11:27 AM
I ordered a Mary Maxim poncho kit - its a sleeved poncho and it looked gorgeous! I don't care if its in fashion or not its beautiful and I can't wait for it to arrive so I can make it and wear it to death. I'm going to a conference in January in Cannes and I want something useful and easy to carry around with me to keep me warm. I'm hoping the kit arrives and I can knit it in time. I don't want to make it in the cream they are sending but the pattern could only be bought with the kit.

I'm gonna try to make it in another yarn / colour and if I can manage to alter the neckline a bit I probably will.

janelanespaintbrush
10-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, who cares if they're in style or not? I made a cuddly merino one to wear on chilly mornings. It's like having a blanket around my shoulders without having to worry about it falling off. I probably will never wear it out of the house since I'm really not a poncho person, but since I'm a practical person, it quickly became my favorite thing to slip on and wear at home when I'm cold. My only regret is that, given the amount of use it's getting, I did not use superwash wool. (Oh man, can you imagine how nice it would feel to wrap it around you when it's just out of the dryer? Mmmmmm... might have to make another one!)

Stiney
10-16-2006, 11:44 AM
I personally never liked them, so I tend not to notice them. But go ahead and bring it to the craft fair. If it sells, yay :cheering:, and if not, at least you tried!

knitaddict
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
I ordered a Mary Maxim poncho kit - its a sleeved poncho and it looked gorgeous!

Is that the cabeled one with the turtleneck collar (or whatever it's called lol)? I absolutely LOVE that one!! Someone here made one a bit ago and it was just beautiful. :)

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh I want to see that pattern too! Cannes heh? lucky you!

I want some more ponchos now, I like that idea about wearing it around the house....

mulene
10-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Knitaddict! Its the one that duckling made you can see it on her blog. It was her thread about her kitty and her felted back that led me to her blog where I saw the poncho. OK so I'll be completely honest - I had a poncho in the 70's when I was a kid - I really didn't like it, it was scratchy and pink and it seemed so yucky in comparison to everyone elses poncho. They all had gorgeous ones with sleeves and tassels and stuff and mine was just a bit plain and bleh. Mine also had a big V neck in it while theirs all had these cosy roll necks.

Anyway the one I have ordered is the one on ducklings blog here: http://knittwittbasketcase.blogspot.com/

Lacey cables and a nice cuddly collar :teehee: So yeah I'm going to this conference in Cannes, its going to be full of trendy young and gorgeous looking skinny girls in beautiful designer clothing with their Manholo shoes and Prada bags and I don't care if I look untrendy in my toasty warm poncho that I made myself. The last few years down there its been freezing in January and I'm too long in the tooth to have icicles from my wobbly bits just to be in the name of fashion anymore ;)

CarmenIbanez
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
I say knit what you like. Capelets and boleros and shrugs are really popular right now. But the right garment made from the right materials will always look good, regardless of trends!

Cristy
10-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I see people wearing them still...I have a pattern for one that looks really easy (it's a berroco pattern from their suede yarn) that I'd like to get around to one day...

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 05:41 PM
... icicles from your wobbly bits....

you're too funny. Btw, the strangest thing, when I go to look at that pictures on the blogsite there are no pictures. I mentioned this before but no one got back to me. I had a blog at blogspot and erased it... I wonder if I did something so I can't see the pictures. Can everyone else see the pictures?

mulene
10-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Hrm did you go to www.marymaxim.com and put in SLEEVED PONCHO in the search? Its a creamy white colour, with a lacey cabled panel down the front, sleeves and dangly things.

I don't know why you can't see the pics on her blog =(

Chel
10-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Hrmph. We knitters are fashion. If enough of us knit something the world will follow and wear it.

:teehee:

VictoiseC
10-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Hrmph. We knitters are fashion. If enough of us knit something the world will follow and wear it.

:teehee: :muah: WELL PUT!!!! BRAVA!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

P.S. Wow, that poncho is gorgeous. Would be so warm too. I might leave the fringe off though if I made it, don't care much for fringe anymore.

CarmenIbanez
10-17-2006, 11:45 AM
... icicles from your wobbly bits....

you're too funny. Btw, the strangest thing, when I go to look at that pictures on the blogsite there are no pictures. I mentioned this before but no one got back to me. I had a blog at blogspot and erased it... I wonder if I did something so I can't see the pictures. Can everyone else see the pictures?

Where are you attempting to view from? Home or work? My work has a filter on it that allows me to go to blog sites, but not see any of the pictures.....

mulene
10-18-2006, 08:39 AM

:teehee:

Absolutely! And in February when you start seeing the girls in their Prada bags and Manholo's walking around in a big sleeved Poncho from Mary Maxim you'll know it was me who got them started from Canned :roflhard: