PDA

View Full Version : Yarn of the Month Club members? What do you think?

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Just noticed this, well I saw it a long time ago but now I'm wondering if I would enjoy receiving those yarns every month for $7.50 or whatever it is...
or is it a waste of money? You do get a free pattern each month also.

Wondering if anyone ever joined this?

www.yarnofthemonth.com

suecq
10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Elann has a similar yarn of the Tuesday yarn offerings. The samples are color coordinated each month. One month you might get greens, the next browns.

The cost is $52.00 a year and you can get that back in credits when you purchase yarn. ($2.50 credit off of every $25.00 in yarn purchased per order.)

knitqueen
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
There was someone here that was part of that, I think :thinking: . Samples are great, but if it's only enough for a 4x4 swatch, I dunno. Doesn't seem worth it to me. If they sent ONE full ball of yarn it might be a bit more appealing to me.

brendajos
10-16-2006, 11:34 AM
i don't know though...i was thinking the same thing about the yarn not being enough but if you consider that a lot of patterns are about $5 a piece and the news letter plus a little yarn to fondle...it might be worth it? :shrug:

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 12:14 PM
thanks for your thoughts...

well, I suppose you could eventually knit all those swatches up into a scarf or little afghan! I think the $52 a year is way too much $. I'd also rather have different yarns being sent.

hmmmmmm yeah, that's true about the cost of patterns, in fact I like the one on their website right now.

Jan in CA
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
That sounds pretty interesting! The FAQ says they are working a pattern(s) that use the swatch samples, too. :thinking:

Stiney
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
The Yarn of the Month winds up being $93 for the year. That's sorta pricey for me. Otherwise, I like the idea.

brendajos
10-16-2006, 12:54 PM
I think in the end I would be more inclined to a sock of the month club or something like that. It might cost a bit more but you have enough to make a pair of socks or whatever else you want to make with sock yarn. I kind of like the idea of this (http://www.joslynsfiberfarm.com/SockClub.htm) site's club and she has scarf of the month (well it is actually bi-monthly) and a shawl club that is quarterly... Like i said...cost is a little higher but seems like you would get better use out of it.

okay let's try this again...hopefully there will be only one post AND a link to the site this time :wall:

Ingrid
10-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I joined the yarn of the month club and have a whole bunch of little baggies of yarn. It's fun to look at them, and someday I may make something out of them or use them for accents on intarsia, but I could live without them.

I thought getting yarn in the mail once a month would keep me from ordering more. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

VictoiseC
10-16-2006, 05:36 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

that's hilarious....

I think it would be fun to get yarn every month too. Can't believe you didn't use the yarn Ingrid. Geez.
oh gosh,

OH I didn't realise it was $90 something a year.
That $7.50 a month doesn't seem to be that much but I guess it is. in denial about yarn cost....
:teehee:

carollovesyarn
10-16-2006, 08:18 PM
At least with the Elann subscription, you get the money back. Albeit, you have to purchase from them, but I haven't found that to be a problem :D